Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mask off the badge after cleaning and smoothing the grill for a good finish apply a good quality primer
Then add top coats conservatively, dont worry if the first few coats dont give you complete coverage building a number of layers I find always gives me a better finish.

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whilst drying I decided to spruce up the bolts with the same satin black finish

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Once dry reinsert the grille put the bolts back in have a coffee or a beer and congratulate yourself on saving £100 that a sprayer would charge you lol

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's enough layers of paint on it to hopefully last a while and if not satin black paint is very cheap to touch it up, but hopefully it will need to be a decent size stone to chip it lol

·
Super Moderator (UK)
2002 Blue SLK320 known as 'Silkie"
4,202 Posts
Nice work @Brian731 - that's a great improvement. Well worth the effors - and simple to do, too.

Reactions: Brian731

·
* Premium Member
2000 SLK230
18 Posts
Brian, Thanks for tip on getting it out. The base was locked in my bumper pretty good. Pushing in the base with a screwdriver unlocked the snaps.

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You are very welcome, since this post I have upgraded the grille for a reasonable price made the front end look so much more modern

·
*Registered
2003 SLK200
26 Posts
You are very welcome, since this post I have upgraded the grille for a reasonable price made the front end look so much more modern
not sure if much can be done to improve design as it really is a design classic.In my opinion the Maclaron inspired 'modern design'of 171 looks aggressive as if they belong on a race track.Would like to see the grille though.

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
not sure if much can be done to improve design as it really is a design classic.In my opinion the Maclaron inspired 'modern design'of 171 looks aggressive as if they belong on a race track.Would like to see the grille though.
20201210_115421.jpg
the finished new grille

1 - 19 of 19 Posts