• Total voters
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nasty tear > look at picture below please
:tazz:

I was backing out in a hurry not paying attention to the fact is that my driveway is actually higher than the road and that the front bumper is very low. So my front bumper actually hooked on to the drive way and caused this super loud noise leaving this nasty tear on the bottom of my left lover front bumper!

Check it our.. any thoughts how to fix that?

The dealership will probably ask for 2 thousand to fix that!

I found this primed front bumper on ebay for $325 .. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCEDES-SLK280-FRONT-BUMPER-GENUINE-PRIMED-W-O-06-08_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2ea7b3210eQQitemZ200382030094QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I would be concerned for the paint qualify if they can match it to the color of my vehicle and if I need to get some new foam for that new bumper. I wanted to go back to perfect :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
it looks like that bumper in the picture has already been repaired before, which is why it broke like that.

I would just go to an aftermarket body shop that offers a paint warranty. You are probably looking at a $500 job to have it repaired.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
I'm with Cyber - go to a local bumper repair place, and let them patch it up for you. That low the impact foam should be fine, so no worries there.

I've had my 350's bumper repaired 3 times now, and some time this summer I'll get around to putting the new one on, but honestly, the repairs look great, and make me feel a heck of a lot better when road debris catches me out!

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
+3 on a bodyshop. The chances are your dealer will farm out the work to a bodyshop anyway. If you go direct, then a) you can choose who you go to, and b) you will not be paying the dealers mark-up.

BTW, Welcome from NE England.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Same opinion. Where are you located? What state/province?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in Orlando Florida USA

I am thinking of either buying a aftermarket bumper or fixin the one I have. If u fixed yours, did it come out "perfect"?

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
I'm in Orlando Florida USA

I am thinking of either buying a aftermarket bumper or fixin the one I have. If u fixed yours, did it come out "perfect"?
It came out really good - if you looked really, really closely you might notice that the surface was not perfect - but this was on a black car.

Depends on what you want to spend, but I'd stay away from aftermarket bumpers and stick with OEM. Do keep in mind most of the used OEM bumpers on eBay have been repaired.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,218 Posts
slk2007lover,

Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and yr) in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale and model.
usercp, edit your details, location/vehicle.

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search this forum' feature for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, If you haven’t, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, please consider becoming a donating member or make a one-time donation to offset development and operating costs. Even $5 is welcome! Thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
The local dealership in Dallas wants $1,300 for a new bumber ($800 parts) and ($500 labor). Compare that to the cost of repairs before making a decision.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
waw.. 1300 all painted and ready.. Its not worth all that.. I will try to see how much I can get it fixed for at a body shop! let's see how much they would want to charge for that nasty little cut

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
It looks like there's some loss of the plastic material from the bumper (based on the photo). Are there missing pieces or large gaps at the damaged area?

If the body shop sates it cannot be repaired, then the reconditioned bumper (like the ebay one) is a good alternative. These are usually damaged bumpers that have been fixed and primed and (depending on the skill of the body shop) will come out cosmetically acceptable.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
There a piece that fell off that I have seperate. So they can fit it in like a puzzle.

What do u think?
It is best to show the actual stuff in person to the body shop and see what they can do.

My guess is if the piece that fell off aligns well with very little gap at the edges they may be able to re-attach, reinforce from the back side and prolly repair and recondition so it looks like new.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went to a body shop and yes ! It was previously fixed!
Man.. The guy who sold it to me didn't tell me about that.

Anyway.. He's a friend of a friend and he will charge me about 400 bucks.. And will take care of a couple of little paint chips as well.

I also will stop taking it to the car wash/detailer and start cleaning it myself .. Last time I took it there, I saw some paint chips(3 millimeters) and a existing ones to get bigger a couple of millimeters. Those big brushes are pretty harsh on the car I guess. Any one waxed his vehicle himself here? I never done it!

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts

Anyway.. He's a friend of a friend and he will charge me about 400 bucks.. And will take care of a couple of little paint chips as well.

I also will stop taking it to the car wash/detailer and start cleaning it myself .. Last time I took it there, I saw some paint chips(3 millimeters) and a existing ones to get bigger a couple of millimeters. Those big brushes are pretty harsh on the car I guess. Any one waxed his vehicle himself here? I never done it!
If it makes you feel any better, any SLK without a damaged front spoiler has probably had it replaced! I don't think anyone goes very long without scraping it...

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Ditto. I had mine repaired and repainted last April. I SWEAR I didn't hit or touch anything, yet within a few months there were scratches on the underside, right and left. It's gotta be impossible to keep one pristine. Most recently I discovered a nasty tear on the side near the air ducts (on a '55 only) and have no idea how it happened. Looks like I'll be into the body shop soon for the 3rd time in a year!

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Just to illustrate the force of these car wash machines: Davids88keys lost the flexible cover to his modified R170 antenna after getting the car washed at the dealer (they're not hand washed, and even if they are, I wouldn't trust the personnel as they do not have the same passion as we do in being creful and paying attention to detail). Luckily, he was able to retrieve the "lost" flexible cover and reinstall it. The modified 37cm coiled AWG20 wire inside was still intact :D

Check the tips and techniques from Detailer's Domain on washing and waxing. It has videos too. Also check out Zainostore.com for more tips on car wash, waxing, etc.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Not sure if this is timely enough, I know you posted over a month ago.

I tore my lower front bumper on a concrete parking stop with slight protrosions of rebar sticking up. I actually nailed it twice in the same parking spot (a reserved spot where we have our advertising biz office).

Below is the before pic (after the 2nd "incident") and worse condition than those who saw it on the March 2010 Socal SLK drive in Malibu, which was after the first incident.

I paid Bumpermaster (of West Los Angeles) $300 to come over and fix the tear, repair some small damage that was previously on the passenger side corner of the bumper and repaint. They came out twice: once on Friday to repair/sand/paint/clearcoat the bumper, and then today Tuesday to wet sand and buff out the bumper. The repair and the paint job look flawless.

Edit: 2 pics of repaired bumper added

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts

I'd never take to to one of those local car washes , they wash tons of cars every day using the same stuff , its a certainty grit and muck will be on it by the end of the day.

A freind of mine got me into detailing , you dont need to go to these extreames but here is the website, it will show you propper washing techniques . www.detailingworld.com

i have also cracked my bumper recently and i have been quoted £150 to have the full thing sprayed and the crack plastic welded.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts