Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm raging today, some [email protected]**@ ruined my SLK door today, worst part, he/she didn't leave a note. So I'm going to have to either pay the repair myself or claim it through the insurance (most likely to increase my insurance cost).

People is just incredible, you work so hard to get what you like, you take care of your stuff so much and then, they just smash into it and they just leave.

I know already of a couple of Mercedes Benz approved workshops in Dublin, I'll go during the week to get a repair estimate and I'll let you guys know.

I don't wish this to anyone.

Wish me luck!

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
1,274 Posts
That sucks, I feel for you. What kind of damage is it? Panel seriously creased, or just paint deeply scratched? The paintless dent removal guys can do wonders these days with smallish dimples, and if that's an option your repair shop should let you know about that. In the USA, you can get uninsured motorist coverage (and I do) which usually covers an event like this. You are the victim of a hit-and-run, which is a crime just about anywhere. You may want to get a bunch of photos of the damage and file a police report. And if there's any color scuffed off from the other car, figure out what it is and go looking for cars that color with damage...

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,776 Posts
Sorry to hear about the knock , too many people don't seem to have the older values nowadays unfortunately !

Hope you get it fixed without too much hassle/expense ...

·
* Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,472 Posts
My sympathy on this unfortunate incident.

Reactions: crypto-eire

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K
1,138 Posts
what rotten luck.. let us know how you get on..

We had a knock on the driver's side... which turned out to look worse than it was... hope this is so in your case... :|

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Beekster, panel is creased (no paint damage), but if the first thing you notice when you see the car.

Hopefully repair won't be that bad nor it will take that long.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Rick.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,609 Posts
Door

Sorry to hear your bad news.
I did see a door on EBAY a couple of days ago and it looked in good nick.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
2,504 Posts
Thank you Beekster, panel is creased (no paint damage), but if the first thing you notice when you see the car.

Hopefully repair won't be that bad nor it will take that long.

Rick.
Rick,

If the paint is not damaged you may want to consider paintless dent repair. No issues of paint matching or done at the same quality level as MB is so well known for. Check here are a couple of examples of what can be done by talented dent removal expert.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIFUVu77fcE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y9Aua9pFlU

·
3,609 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
That sucks, I had mine less than a week when it got dinged, in the passenger door, in a supermarket parking lot. It was a very small dent, but none the less a royal PITA, as the car had only a couple of hundred Km on the clock. I took it to the Dent Doctor and they did a good job of pulling it out. I hope they can do the same with yours, Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
That sucks to hear :( Hopefully you are able to get it fixed and have it look good as new.

Check and see if there were may security cameras from local businesses that may have recorded the incident. If you can get a plate number or at minimum a make/model/color then it will provide you more detail for your police report.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gents-

Thank you all for the kind words & helpful tips.

I've gone to wash my car today and I've assessed more closely the damage. Hopefully I'll be able to get the dent out using a repair kit (dent-out), it would appear that it does a really good job (professional finish). I'll give this a try and I'll let you know the results, I might even record a video while I'm doing it.

The repair kit is being shipped as we speak and I should be getting it during the week.

I'm attaching a picture of the front of my car (taken today) ;)

Rick.

Attachments

·
3,609 Posts
I got a quote to remove a small dent from my local dent remover and he quoted £50. If they are as good as they say this seems very reasonable.

·
Banned
804 Posts
Gents-

Thank you all for the kind words & helpful tips.

I've gone to wash my car today and I've assessed more closely the damage. Hopefully I'll be able to get the dent out using a repair kit (dent-out), it would appear that it does a really good job (professional finish). I'll give this a try and I'll let you know the results, I might even record a video while I'm doing it.

The repair kit is being shipped as we speak and I should be getting it during the week.

I'm attaching a picture of the front of my car (taken today) ;)

Rick.
I wouldn't do it. You'll be sorry! It takes real skill to remove dents. >:D

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
16,481 Posts
Had something similar happen to Mabel. :surprise: Sickening! :crying: Dent Devil did a fine job of removing the dent though. :tu: The secret seemed to be taking your time, and being gentle. Good luck with your repair.

Reactions: crypto-eire

·
Registered
81 Posts
Some people!
It's worth removing damage and nasty dings once at a dent repair place and then making sure to park at the edges of car parks away from morons. I have my motor 3 years and have yet to park on a roadside since removing the dents/dings. It's the empty floors of multi storey car parks for me around town.
And I generally stay in the car while the other half does the shopping or bits and pieces outside corner shops etc. Not one ding in 3 years!! It is a bit tiresome though :nerd:

·
Registered-sold my '55
905 Posts
Bloody morons over here too...you can park the furthest space away from the Mall door with hundreds of spaces between you and the mall yet there is always the dork that will still park right next to you...not even leaving one space in between even though they have at least 75% of entire car park to choose from. I did catch one guy parking as I was leaving and I asked him why with all the spaces available he parked next to me ...his answer 'Well yours like a nice new car so I figured that you would be careful when you got in your car that you wouldn't scratch mine'...I was dumbfounded with that one...he forgot about his drivers door (both reversed in) and the possibility of a dork parking the other side of him and hitting his door. I always avoid parking next to **** boxes, SUV's, hatch backs and mini vans or anything with those stupid family stickers on the rear bumper or glass...young kids are the worst offenders followed by the stupid parents who have no control over them....rant over.

Anyway I hope the repair went according to plan.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gents-

Quick update on this, the dent-out repair kit didn't work :( ... I just went yesterday to an approved Mercedes body shop for a repair estimate, I'll keep you guys posted.

Here you'll be able to see the actual dent.

Cheers!
Rick.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.