Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one ever changed a door on a P reg SLK ? I have removed the door pannel and unplugged all the wires , but cant disconnect the airbag in the door. I removed the panel in the foot well, hoping i could unplug from that side but it seems to go straight into the loom. Ideally i just want to remove the entire door and replace with a different one.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance

Lewis

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,824 Posts
What year is your car ? It should be in your profile :wink:

Reactions: jbanks15

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,156 Posts
Has any one ever changed a door on a P reg SLK ? I have removed the door pannel and unplugged all the wires , but cant disconnect the airbag in the door. I removed the panel in the foot well, hoping i could unplug from that side but it seems to go straight into the loom. Ideally i just want to remove the entire door and replace with a different one.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance

Lewis

Lewis, it is best to use year rather than plate letters.

It is truly a worldwide site and our cousins (and many Brits) don't get our plate system.

Either, work your way through these (not just the 'stickied' ones).
SLK R170 class DIY - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Or, try a site search http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/138769-tips-searching.html
whilst you wait for an answer.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320/2000 SLK230
2,719 Posts
" I removed the panel in the foot well, hoping i could unplug from that side but it seems to go straight into the loom. "

Ok I have searched several hundred posts trying to determine how to remove the door (2002 R170 Facelift). I have searched the WIS but finding anything in that is a nightmare. Have found how to remove mirrors, sound system, door cards, handles, and PDL but nary a procedure for removing the driver's door itself.

Does anyone know what the procedure or the WIS document is to disconnect electrically the driver's door (can handle the mechanical part) on a 2002 facelift R170 from the body ? I really do not want to cut any wires or break any plastic panels.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,064 Posts
IIRC the airbag module is riveted in place, not bolted or screwed. And there is a connector on the back of the airbag module. Be sure to follow airbag safety when removing it.

·
2,719 Posts
Door air bag has a yellow connector. Manual link is 8 pages for a 1996 and they want 3.50E payment. I have access to the WIS, just always have trouble navigating, anyone have a document number for door removal ?

Also airbag connector is on side (see picture). Do you slide, twist, or pull to remove the connector? (Door has been without power for days but apparently there is no single body connector so need to unplug each individual component. Want to test the power window but not with the airbag connected. Yes it is riveted in place.

Also found this which says what not to do but not how to remove the connector:

"Disconnect the side impact airbag squib harness connector (2) from the side impact airbag.
CAUTION: Do not pull on the squib connector wires or pry on the connector insulator to disengage the connector from the side airbag inflator connector receptacle. Improper removal of the squib wires and their connector insulators can result in damage to the airbag circuits or connector insulators. "

Update: it is a keyed two pin plastic connector that must be pulled straight out from the module. Do Not Twist and be gentle. This just leaves the PDL connector and the power windows connector to figure out.

Then a matter of cutting all of the zip ties and pulling the cable assembly out the door. Note: wear gloves, the tape used to bind the cables together is covered with nasty black gunk.

Attachments

·
2,719 Posts
Just one baffling connector left: the power door lock. It has a catch but would require vertical movement. Images do not seem to help and cannot find anything with the part number. Anyone have a clue how to remove this connector ?

Attachments

·
2,719 Posts
Anyone ? Have found a number of mention in service manuals and such but most just say " disconnect driver
door latch assembly harness connector." without any mention of HOW to disconnect it. Surely someone here has done this before.

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK200
2,299 Posts
Can you/have you tried taking out whatever the connector is actually connected to?
i.e. is it connected to the lock mechanism? Would removal or loosening of the mechanism [if that's what it is attached to] possibly make it easier to see how to disconnect the cable?

Plenty of clips showing how to take off exterior handle and remove the lock from inside the door but, as you say, nothing relating specifically to this connector:frown:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.