Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
aka Denny
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had an SLK for a couple months, but I've noticed it sure seems to bring out idiotic behavior in some other drivers. It is as if some drivers can't stand to be passed by an SLK on the highway - despite the fact that they may have been driving under the speed limit when I pass them. Suddenly they have to get in front of me.

I know some people are like that no matter who else is on the road. It just seems I'm seeing much more of it when I drive the SLK (at least when compared to other cars I've had that just blend in with everyone else).

Anyone else see similar behavior, or is my imagination active?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Happens to me all the time. I even have people follow me into parking lots. It is a beautiful car, I wish wifey would let me put Vertical Doors on it, and that would be the icing on the cake. :D

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Get used to it, I think it gets worse if it's Mars Red. The car seems to be a Mustang GT magnet.

·
Registered 2016 SLK55 AMG w/P30
654 Posts
Living in San Antonio, I haven't noticed it happening any more than it used to, but I've always driven 2door sports coupes. Previously I had a '99 mercury cougar, followed by an '03 hyundai tiburon, then an '06 eclipse GT. In all three cars, as well as my SLK now, almost every time I pass someone even if they're going slow as all heck, they suddenly decide they need to be going 90mph and fly past me. The other day I even had a guy in a R171 SLK pass me after I passed him. Hopefully he just wanted to get a better view of the facelifted front end, cause I certainly hope it wasn't an ego thing. It's the same car lol. It's a regular occurence here in SA though, too many 16 year old kids with their parents' pocketbook funding their rides that think they need to prove something.

·
aka Denny
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get used to it, I think it gets worse if it's Mars Red. The car seems to be a Mustang GT magnet.
The first day my wife drove our SLK home from work, she had a guy in a Mustang behind her at a stop light. He pulled up really close and kept revving the engine. I think we were both hoping that wasn't a sign of things to come.

·
Registered
192 Posts
i think i am one of them... whenever i saw supercars(Lambo,ferrari)
i will switch lane and stay behind them hearing the superb exhaust:tu:
btw i nv tailgate

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,053 Posts
Happens all the time, in any of my cars (including my minivan). It's just the attitude of other drivers, you probably only notice it in the SLK because you are more conscious of your surroundings in a small car. A good example of 'flock mentality' combined with American sense of 'territorialism'.

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,158 Posts
Although it hasn't happened to me, I'm guessing it happens more in denser population areas. It is a pet theory of mine that the aggression on the road is based on our territorial instinct. I remember reading a study about birds that were more and more aggressive as their population density increased. I suspect the same thing is true of people. If you are the only guy on the road, no problem. Add a few more, no problem, but increase it until the next guy is within "our" space and tension goes up.

So my theory is that these things happen more in dense population areas.

·
Registered
676 Posts
i would not believe it when i was told it happened before owning an slk,
but now i experience that idiotic behavior on a daily basis over here too...

best
ir-ops

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK350
18,458 Posts
I love it when they pass me on longer trips. I let them get about a quarter mile ahead and follow. Saves me the ticket from the officer around the bend

·
Registered
940 Posts
I haven’t really noticed this - Only time I pass someone and they end up passing me is when I’m later exiting (freeway for example) and traffic on the exit ramp is going super slow. This is of course on 4+ lane highways where any slow driver is constantly being passed - surely they can't want to re-pass EVERYONE?

If the topic was more to do with 1 or 2 lane roads where you had to wait for a passing lane then I can totally see that - haven’t had the opportunity to drive my SLK on that sort of road yet though.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Here in Arizona, I have noticed that the cowboy wannbes and rednecks with lifted trucks like to pull up within 2 inches of the rear bumber. They must think I would be impressed by looking at their grill in my rearview a few feet from my head. I deal with them by sitting perfectly still for a bit when traffic starts moving.

·
aka Denny
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i think i am one of them... whenever i saw supercars(Lambo,ferrari)
i will switch lane and stay behind them hearing the superb exhaust:tu:
btw i nv tailgate
That I can see. If you were driving an average car and decided you suddenly needed to stay in front of those cars, that's more what I'm talking about.

·
aka Denny
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If the topic was more to do with 1 or 2 lane roads where you had to wait for a passing lane then I can totally see that - haven’t had the opportunity to drive my SLK on that sort of road yet though.
Good point. I see this behavior more on the highways with two lanes in the same direction. I can't say I've noticed it so much on the 4+ lane highways as those tend to have people going all different speeds.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Living in San Antonio, I haven't noticed it happening any more than it used to, but I've always driven 2door sports coupes. Previously I had a '99 mercury cougar, followed by an '03 hyundai tiburon, then an '06 eclipse GT. In all three cars, as well as my SLK now, almost every time I pass someone even if they're going slow as all heck, they suddenly decide they need to be going 90mph and fly past me. The other day I even had a guy in a R171 SLK pass me after I passed him. Hopefully he just wanted to get a better view of the facelifted front end, cause I certainly hope it wasn't an ego thing. It's the same car lol. It's a regular occurence here in SA though, too many 16 year old kids with their parents' pocketbook funding their rides that think they need to prove something.
Having spent last week in SA and meeting Cousjcc, I can attest to Moron's driving in and around SA. Unbelievable is the only word I can come up with. :mad:

As far as SLKCop comments, perhaps you (SLKCop) should get a "blue" Kojak light (or red light in the US) and pop it in the dash (unmarked SLK), and see what happens when the idiots decide to pass you... If nothing else, it would be entertaining. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hello to everyone at SLKWorld. I have been reading the posts on this site. lots of nice people and very informative. It is time to introduce myself. My name is Mehran, and i live in bay area. I bought a brand new 2008 SLK 280 four months ago. Is there going to be an SLK drive around here in the future?

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
It happens quite often here in Fayetteville, NC. There are alot of young soldiers with fast cars. It is amusing to see their facial expressions as they pass by when I am only doing the posted speed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.