Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 83 Posts
Hi Bernd - strange co-incidence

Excellent. I hope you will enjoy reading it.

Have a great weekend, Bernd
Hi Bernd,

I was just searching on the site to see if there was anything about Brian Long's R170, which I have just finished reading. Now I'll have to get yours as well !!

Have you read Brian's ? It's hard to get hold of and expensive (£45, UK). Fascinating read, but he doesn't mention any recalls, or common problems - eg RUST on 2000 - 2004 models in EU climate.

I had a UK 2001 230 and now have a UK 2000 320, and there are strange differences between the 2, eg completely different manuals, an mpg gauge in one, but not the other (I THINK). Brian's book doesn't cover anything like that.

I look forward to reading yours. I hope I can source a physical copy via Amazon rather than the e book version without the Appendums.

Cheers
Laurence John

PS

Hi Bernd,

I was just searching on the site to see if there was anything about Brian Long's R170, which I have just finished reading. Now I'll have to get yours as well !!

Have you read Brian's ? It's hard to get hold of and expensive (£45, UK). Fascinating read, but he doesn't mention any recalls, or common problems - eg RUST on 2000 - 2004 models in EU climate.

I had a UK 2001 230 and now have a UK 2000 320, and there are strange differences between the 2, eg completely different manuals, an mpg gauge in one, but not the other (I THINK). Brian's book doesn't cover anything like that.

I look forward to reading yours. I hope I can source a physical copy via Amazon rather than the e book version without the Appendums.

Cheers
Laurence John

Brian Long - Mercedes-Benx, SLK R170 series, 1996-2004

Veloce Publishing
Ww.veloce books.com

Discussion starter · #64 ·
Hi Bernd,

Cheers
Laurence John
Hi Laurence,

no, I haven't read Brian's book yet. Brian is an excellent author, so I can understand that you like it. You can find my book on Amazon.co.uk. I would be interested to hear from you, what you think of it.

Btw, I have finally managed this weekend to include all technical specs and production figures in my e-books. Now the e-books are no different from the printed versions anymore. I have just updated the respective info on Amazon.

All the best,

Bernd

Btw, I have finally managed this weekend to include all technical specs and production figures in my e-books. Now the e-books are no different from the printed versions anymore. I have just updated the respective info on Amazon.
Bernd, I'd bought your R171 iBooks version recently but I haven't read it yet. This explains why there was an update showing for the iBooks version for me earlier... Thanks! :tu:

Hi Laurence,

no, I haven't read Brian's book yet. Brian is an excellent author, so I can understand that you like it. You can find my book on Amazon.co.uk. I would be interested to hear from you, what you think of it.

All the best,

Bernd
Thanks Bernd,

I bought yours at the weekend.

Cheers
Laurence

I just received this new book on the R170 written by Bernd. First impression is that it is quite "amateurish" in the form. Looks like a Word document printed in A4 format and binded. Some of the pictures are pixelized a sign of JPEG photographies too compressed and not at a good DPI (dot per inch) for proper printing. Something that honestly a good publisher should have been able to correct.

That's all for the form. Now in term of content the book is pretty complete with pictures that are not taken from the car maker brochures. A good thing. A quick history on MB and the context of the launch. I found particularly interesting the part related to the special and unique SLKs. It is also important to note that the book is intended to an US audience/market.

I consider the book a good buy and a very good complement to the book published by the Mercedes Museum << Faszination SLK >>. The faszination book has an exceptional value for money and cover the full history of the R170 from design to the last model released. It is in German and English with the English text feeling that it was automatically translated by Google or any other automated translation tool. Meaning that some parts of the text is kind of difficult to dig if you do not speak German.

Also I ordered the book from Brian Long and here it was a big deception for me. First of all the famous online store that sold it send me a copy with the cover completely ripped! Honestly for the price asked they could at least take care of the product shipped. Anyway I still had the time to browse the book before returning it. And here it was another big disappointment. All the pictures are known and mainly taken from SLK brochures. 1/3 of the book is on MB history probably copied/pasted from previous books of the author. Useless... at least the author could have written an history of the MB roasters and explained how MB ended up with an SLK…..
Only a couple of parts of the book were not already included in the << Faszination SLK >>. So too me the Long's book is not worth the money. While Bernd's book is complementary.

Discussion starter · #68 ·
Hi there,

thanks a lot for the time to write this review about my book. It helps me to make my books better and I also appreciate the two photos you have included. I will definitely check the poor formating. You are correct, it should not have happened. The same goes for some of the photos you have mentioned. Normally all my photos are 300 dpi and 3.2 MB. In my author copy, all of them look fine. Again, thanks for pointing this out.

May I wish you, your family and everybody else, who reads this a very happy Easter.

Bernd

After the car show this weekend, I recognized I needed to learn a bit more about the SLKs than what I was learning reading posts here on SLKWorld. I was planning to search for this thread to get the book info.

R172 book ordered. Thanks!

My suggestion: write separate books
1) combined book is unwieldy, how does one hold a 500 page book while reading?
2) some people prefer a focused book on a particular model.
3) it's perfectly okay to repeat sections for each.book, if there are common topics.
4) by separating each book, you will not be forced to compress discussions.
5) cheaper to buy each volume focused on a model such as r170
6) if I have r170 car, i would not buy an r171 book.

Hi everyone,

some of you might know that I write books about Mercedes cars. My latest book/books will cover all three SLK variations and will be published on amazon in December. In this respect I have one question to you, as your opinion is important to me:

Is it for you better to have each version of SLK (R170, R171 and R172) covered in a separate book or would you prefer (as I have done with my two SL books) to have them all featured in a single book.

If they would be covered separately, each book will have around 180 pages and would cost around $30. If I would put them into one book, this book will have around 450 to 500 pages (it has fewer pages per version, as some parts of the book such as the history of the roof for example and other stuff does not have to be repeated three times). This book will cost probably around $50.

Each book will cover with small variations the following topics:

Here the example of the r171 book:
SLK200 Kompressor, SLK280/300, SLK350,
SLK55 AMG R171 (2004 - 2011)
Mercedes SLK: How it all began
History of the vario roof
The SLK vario roof
Trouble shooting the vario roof
The SLK 171
The engines
M272 balance shaft and other issues
The COMAND System
The option packages
The safety features
The SLK55 AMG
The SLK55 AMG Black Series
First upgrades
The 2008 facelift
- Body and interior
- Revised engines
Model year 2011 changes
The special editions
- Edition 10
- Sport Edition
- 2Look Edition
- Grand Edition
- SLK200 Naked Edition
The SLK55 AMG Asia Cup
The SLK320 CDI Tri-Turbo
Experiencing the SLK55 AMG
The sales performance
The Brabus SLK
Other tuners
- Piecha
- RENNtech
Choosing a used R171
- The body
- The wheels, brakes, exhaust
- The roof
- The engine, suspension
- The transmission
- The interior
The SLK’s VIN explained
The SLK’s data card with detailed model code descriptions
Today’s second hand car prices
Production figures

If you can find the time and let me know of your preference, I would appreciate your feedback.

Many thanks,

Bernd

P.S. As I need as much feedback from you guys as possible, I will ask the same question at benzworld.org

My suggestion: write separate books
1) combined book is unwieldy, how does one hold a 500 page book while reading?
2) some people prefer a focused book on a particular model.
3) it's perfectly okay to repeat sections for each.book, if there are common topics.
4) by separating each book, you will not be forced to compress discussions.
5) cheaper to buy each volume focused on a model such as r170
6) if I have r170 car, i would not buy an r171 book.
I'm afraid you are late to the party.
Bernd asked the question on 11-22-2014. Five years ago.

There are 3 separate books written. One for each model type (170/171/172).

There are links to sellers throughout the thread should you wish to buy the 170 version.

Posting in an old thread? Change your view:

https://www.slkworld.com/new-member...6-posting-old-thread-how-fix.html#post4616380

61 - 80 of 83 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.