Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me what the antenna on the trunk lid of a 2009 SLK is for? I thought is was the GPS antenna, however, I went and looked at one today and it did not have GPS but it had the "knob" antenna on the trunk lid. I do not think it had satelite radio either.

Where is the Antenna for the GPS systems located if the car does have GPS?

I also saw in posts people talking about a COMAND head unit. Is this head unit the GPS system or are there different COMAND units. If they are different than the GPS is the COMAND unit an upgrade or the standard, and how do i tell if the car has it by looking at it. I can tell if it has GPS but i do not see different head units that i noticed.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK280
3,917 Posts
I don't know about the 2009, but I believe my 2007 miniature hockey puck on the deck of the trunk lid is for the Sirius radio signal (same as all of the other vehicles I have with satellite radio).

Can't help with the other questions, but the really smart people will chime in shortly.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,223 Posts
Sirius satelite antenna

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
For the OP I believe the guys are correct - Satellite Radio. As to the GPS Antenna question, I have an '06 280 with nothing but an Audio 20. No Navi, no Satellite radio, no nothing. There is, however an antenna located behind the Rearview mirror housing that as best as I can tell is for a GPS. If anyone knows differently I would appreciate knowing what it really is for. The wiring goes out the passenger side and probably ends up in the trunk.

Update:
I found this in the TeleAid training material. It seems that the "Low Cost TeleAid USA" option 359 includes the GPS Antenna so that TeleAid (now MBrace) can tell the response center where you are. As the TeleAid module is in the trunk, as well as the pre-facelift Navi then they must share the antenna.

Gene

Attachments

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
For the R171:

1. Sirius antenna (satellite radio) is the one on the trunk/boot lid
2. GPS antenna is located as posted by Gene, in the overhead console.

Reactions: JMGPP33

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,223 Posts
SIRIUS, does anyone have it ordered? i'm not in my car enough only on weekends to make use of the sirius satellite radio
Of course!!!

xplizitremix,

Welcome to the World’s Premier Mercedes-Benz SLK Community from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. And it only takes about 30 seconds to do!

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message)- capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
New members and guests should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK World Forum

Thank you,
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.