Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experiences driving one of these in winter ... good or bad? I'm debating snow tires or storage.

The PO said he tried with weight in the trunk and all seasons and forget-about-it ... no go.

·
Registered
622 Posts
its an expensive car, and lets face it, even if it was good in snow etc, i wouldnt want it on the road for some idiot that thinks they can drive to crash into it......... keep it nice and safe ...........

·
Registered
64 Posts
Drove mine in Rochester NY all year round put on my snow tires as soon as it got below 50 and drove from Buffalo to Syracuse weekly was a couple time i had issues but for the most part had fun driving on a nice winter day with the top down heat scarf on and people looking at me like i was crazy!

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
A load of weight in the back no doubt does wonders for traction (I guess ?), but not exactly a handling upgrade. Ask a 911 driver..:)

We've driven our SLK year-round since we've had it, sunshine, rain, wind, snow and ice... Just be very gentle on the pedals and keep the speed sensible for the conditions.

So far I would say that it's massively better in snow and ice than my boss's BMW 1 series. Now that's a car that is useless in the snow, can't turn of the ESP system and the computer simply takes the throttle off you at the first sign of the wheels spinning.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have too much tread on my rear summer tires to swap 'em out for all-seasons. As long as the fronts keep traction, I should be fine. :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
I drive mine year round as a daily driver. I do not have to drive the MB when the snow gets to be an issue as I have a back-up, but generally there is no problem. The SLK is comfortable in light snow (not ice - but nothing is). One thing I have discovered is that I can start off in 2nd or even 3rd gear to reduce wheel spin.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have kind of mixed feelings about the car in the winter. With the traction control on, sometimes it's a real handful to actually get it to go forward because the throttle keeps backing off (this is super annoying). On the other hand, when I turned the traction control off, I managed to spin it within a block of home – in the rain.

This is probably the point I should say that I don't, as a matter of principle, run any sort of winter or all-season rubber. I wear summer, "R" rubber, all year round. The reason for this is basically thus: I've always found that backing off the throttle was way easier in terms of getting better traction than buying some wonky tire that's supposed to magically work. Years ago I had a 400-ish-hp turbo Z, and that car had ludicrous problems hooking up in snow and rain with winter tires. So I just figured it wasn't worth the hassle.

I guess what I'm getting at is you're going to have trouble with any rear-wheel-drive vehicle in the snow and rain. Having a stick helps because you can feather the clutch and start in 2 or 3 (or 4 or 5, depending on the car) if you're having trouble getting it moving.

It's probably best to just avoid driving in sub-freezing temperatures (tires do funny things when they get real cold) and excess precipitation. I live in Virginia, so we don't get all-winter snow, but we get our share, and tons of cold, miserable rain (like right now, actually :p). Luckily, I can generally work from home if I need to.

Also, this (discoduck):

SLK should be driven all year round :)

Awesome. My wife thinks you're nuts. I wholeheartedly approve.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have too much tread on my rear summer tires to swap 'em out for all-seasons. As long as the fronts keep traction, I should be fine. :)
Are you kidding me!!!!!!!!????????????
LOL
I drove my old 1998 yellow SLK230 from Minneapolis to Dulth MN in 3" of fresh slush with 6" of fresh powder snow on top at 50 - 55 MPH the traction control was on for hours straight but I made it.I / we park the SLK55 for the winter.Why waste a good car???We drive the trucks and the c230 and the beater BMW 325i with winter tires on them.The wife drove the C350 last winter on all but the worst of days.
Winter tires are the gift that keeps giving.......longer life via shorter stopping distances and MUCH BETTER WINTER HANDLING!!!!!! IF YOU LOVE SOMEONE OR YOUR SELF BUY WINTER TIRES OR PARK IT!!! WE WILL ALL BE SAFER ON THE ROAD.........

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,161 Posts
I drove my 2001 SLK 320 through the north Buffalo winters (entirely different than SOUTH Buffalo winters) as well as my 2006 SLK 350. Only thing is I switch to winter wheels and tires. Those summer ones aren't supposed to be run below 45 degrees. I've only had trouble one time. In a parking lot. While in the store, we had about 6 inches of snow come and it drifted around the wheels. Could not get ANY traction to push against that snow. Finally had a stranger and my wife help push out. Always good to carry the wife in the passenger seat ;-)

What amazes me is how good that paint looks on the 350. Would never guess it was through a winter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Years ago I had a 1986 Porsche 944 N/A and put Blizzak snow tires on it.
It drove like a 4x4 through the snow with those tires on it.
The weight and balance was 50 / 50 so it had that going for it.
I think you can drive just about any car in winter.
But if you have only one car to drive year round should it be a SLK?
There are many better choices to go with for a year round car.
Just saying that with so few of these out there why destroy such a nice car??
You can buy 944's for just a few thousand dollars and save the SLK's for summer use!
And now let the Porsche guys open up on me for that comment.............LOL

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SLK Snowplow

Last winter I had 30% tread left on all 4 winter tires.

I made it just fine.

SLK should be driven all year round :)

Nice pic :) ... is that the snow plow for the shopping mall? hehe

Thanks for the input! ... I've got some kind of new Sumitomo tires on the car from the PO that I never heard of but they seem to stick even in 0 degree wet. I'll see how they do in the snow before making a decision. I was considering a E320 4matic or something but don't want to maintain yet another car for 4 months.

I just hate the salt and much that accumulates on a car in winter ... and the low temps keep it wet all the time ... almost never dries. Our rotting Accord is a testament to that.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.