Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just got back from a trip to Frankfurt airport to drop the man off (he's going Stateside for 10 days.)

It's about a one way 100 mile drive from home.

So.. my fellow passionistas...... picture it -
Sunday morning.
No traffic.
Pretty good weather.
New winter tyres.
No speed limit >:D

If that's not enough, now add an SLK into the mix.

*sigh* the sheer pleasure of it.

I have never driven with a bigger - permanent - grin on my face. My face was actually hurting when I got home because I had been smiling so much.

Didn't want to push it past 210 (km/h!) because of the winter tyres, but I found it hard not to.

Now.... in my time, I've had a classic 1969 MG Midget, a Mazda MX5 ( Miata? across the pond), a new MGF and an M3 - and let me tell you....NOTHING compares the the SLK.

AND!!!! My baby's only a 1999 SLK 230 with 193hp and I still get that rush. Golly only knows how you all feel with your AMGs!!! I'd be driving everywhere at break-neck speed!

It's still a very strange feeling when I drive past a police car doing those kinds of speeds and not having to brake! Although about 50% of the Autobahn does have speed limits.

So....really wanted to just appreciate with you all. Not everyone gets it, do they?

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I miss living over there :( Back in the day I had a Matra-Simca Bagheera and thought THAT was good .... wish I'd had the SLK then.

I'd be making that trip even if I didn't have too :)

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
FRA...Sunday AM... from where??? We could have done coffee... (Air Canada 873, layover Mainz; vehicle, big MB Bus...not nearly as much fun I can assure you. I did see a silver 171 heading from FRA to Mainz, but driven by a gent as well as a 172 heading from richtung Mainz to FRA, right at the "P" taxiway overpass.)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Flieger,

We live in Saarbruecken. About 30 mins east of Ramstein air base. I would've been heading south-west from FRA - Richtung Mainz between 8am and 9am. I'm definitely female and my baby's black so definitely wasn't me!!

Did see a stunning SL actually. Couldn't keep up!

Why do they put you up in Mainz if you're operating from FRA???

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Mainz is actually closer time wise (very rarely stau)...and it's a great layover town - have you been? Familiar with your area - former RCAF. Recently took a buddy & wife to Zweibrucken - he was there as a kid when the RCAF had a fighter wing there...back in the 60s! We can barely muster three squadrons now...sad.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I really would like to do a road trip with my SLK to go out on the Autobahn, I don't dare push it to much on Norwegian roads hehe.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I did 1200 miles each was to Denmark last year....up to 145 mph and got snapped 20 times even out of the derestricted areas.....did I care? Nope!

The fuel bills are scary though.

Did it in my 35i Z4 which was 304 Bhp

·
Registered
3 Posts
I drive in highways normaly + or less - 200kmh.
The car is really Very stable.
But fuel consumation ia about 20 litres/100km

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Flieger,

We live in Saarbruecken. About 30 mins east of Ramstein air base. I would've been heading south-west from FRA - Richtung Mainz between 8am and 9am. I'm definitely female and my baby's black so definitely wasn't me!!

Did see a stunning SL actually. Couldn't keep up!

Why do they put you up in Mainz if you're operating from FRA???
Are you in the airforce?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi steve i am,

My other half was USAF. Now retired.

We liked Germany so much, we decided to stay 😆

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was stationed at Wiesbaden from 1984-1988 I had such a nice time on the autobahn. All their taxi cabs were all mercedes benz. My first drive in a taxi was scary as heck and very memorable. I wish I could drive my SLK there now with the top down listening to some smooth jazz. I really miss Germany and the surrounding countries.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
When we drove down to the Dolomites a couple of years ago with RussJ and Nadnerb, we ran some miles (kilometres) on derestricted sections of the Autobahn. The little 200 got up to 140mph (225 km/h) without much trouble at all. Very stable too, very easy to believe it could reach its official 147mph Vmax.

At one stage we were cruising at about 100 mph and a C63 went past like we were standing still. Sounded like an aeroplane too.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Did a tour in Europe and used the German autobahns but this was pre-SLK. I then owned a Toyota 3.0i Turbo, I wound this upto over 150 mph, no sweat.

But do not think I will ever get over there in the SLK.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Driving on national roads in South Africa is pretty much the same as negotiating the autobahns I imagine... Except instead of exotics leaving you in a tail-spin, it's a minibus taxi :/

·
Registered
164 Posts
Autobahn

I have only driven on the autobahn a few times. Never with anything capable of more than 200kph. I would love to drive the SLK there. I did get to ride along with a friend near Wurtsburg in his V10 twin-turbo diesel VW Phateon. 330hp and 500+ ft-lbs of torque. 180mph was possible on some of the long straights. Yowser. It was loafing at 150.

Irish

·
Registered
87 Posts
Man, why am I crazy enough to never do something like that, even though Germany is basically like 'driving around in my own backyard' (living in Holland)???

Next time, Gadget.....Next time...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I went last year from Scotland to Italy via Holland and Germany and France and Switzerland. When my sat nav showed or did'nt show a speed limit for the first time on the Autobahn the smile on my face and the feeling i got inside was epic. I only had a 140bhp Celica, but for the first time i had it maxed at 123mph. I only did this speed once (the car had to do the return journey). Hoping to do the same(ish) trip next year in the SLK.
The tunnels around lake garda would sound amazing this time. Oh passed a McLaren P1which was cruising along at around 60 or 70mph on the inside lane of the autobahn, he was probably harvesting power or something of that ilk, the Mrs could not believe it's nearly a £1000000 car.:surprise:
Years old thread too :laugh:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts