Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
yawn! as I have seen this video before.

I own both and watching her driving skills hummm questioning such. Also older SLK model, both of mine have paddles and the SLK has a much smaller steering wheel.

Don't know the years of either but I have a 2006 SL 55 AMG which I have lived with from brand new and now have a 2010 SLK AMG and by far the SLK is more nimble and quicker going arround the track.

The SLK is a pocket rocket and it drives like you are on rails, the SL has a much more heavier feel.

Go cart smiles on the face :biglaugh: SLK exsperience, just so much fun factor.

Luxury with power SL exsperience. :tu:

Only thing I miss is the complete interior detail of the SL which I prefer compared to the SLK.

Servicing the cars the SL is so much more, brake job almost three times the price if done at MB, SL is just way more in general to service never mind the actual cost difference.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The SL is a much bigger and heavier car, a lot longer and over 1000 lbs heavier. But it does have a lot more power as well. Basically it's a grand tourer, while the slk is a (heavy) roadser.

Repair costs on the 55, 600, 63, and 65 seem to be a lot higher than on the slk as well.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Yeah, Louise and I were seriously considering an SL UK side of the pond. Drove a '350 and it's exactly what it's supposed to be in my mind - a luxury tourer you can drop the top on.

Drove a '55 as well (MY2006), and really enjoyed it - but as has been said, different class than the SLK, and much more inline with the DB9. Upkeep on both the DB9 and SL were more than I was wanting to commit to as well - plus, I'm still young! :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yeah, Louise and I were seriously considering an SL UK side of the pond. Drove a '350 and it's exactly what it's supposed to be in my mind - a luxury tourer you can drop the top on.

Drove a '55 as well (MY2006), and really enjoyed it - but as has been said, different class than the SLK, and much more inline with the DB9. Upkeep on both the DB9 and SL were more than I was wanting to commit to as well - plus, I'm still young! :)
The SLK is the sweat heart of most cars out there when you do your home work in relation to over all upkeep costs.

My F360 was the worse, second place goes to the DB9, SL third and really the SLK is last very very low in comparision to any of the others.

Just how young are you? I'm in my 40's.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't get her reasoning behind loving the SL more. Usually track lovers want a car substantially lighter than the SL.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
The SLK is the sweat heart of most cars out there when you do your home work in relation to over all upkeep costs.

My F360 was the worse, second place goes to the DB9, SL third and really the SLK is last very very low in comparision to any of the others.

Just how young are you? I'm in my 40's.

Low 40's - so I have some catching up to do car wise! :biglaugh:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Low 40's - so I have some catching up to do car wise! :biglaugh:
I have another hobby and that's 2 channel audio and just love it. If you are into it than you might be familier with my pces.

- MBL 101E speakers
- 1621a transport
- AA Ref tube dac
- VAC Statement 450 mono blocks
- VAC Statement Sig. MK2a pre
- TW Acustic Black Knight table
- Minus K platform custom made which the BK sits upon
- Stealth Audio cables through out and the list goes on

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dev7, good to come across an audiophile. I'm using:
47 Lab PiTracer CD transport
Accuphase DP-700 SACD/CD player
47 Lab Koma turntable system
Pass Labs XP-10 phono stage
Pass Labs X0.2 preamplification system
Pass Labs XA100.5 monoblocks
Audio Acoustics Sapphire Ti-C speakers
Brodmann JB-155 speakers
Legacy Whisper XD
and many others.

System is in constant flux.

Back to our cars. I was considering a 90's Viper for some time, even got invited to a gathering of my local regional Viper Club and rode in a $100k Viper GTS. The V10 8-liter engine was incomparable, but it was a pure stick, and driving a stick in the legendary San Francisco traffic and up- and down-hill is dreadful.

Then, I considered a Shelby GT-500, the one Will Smith drove in "I Am Legend". Then again, brute power, stick and this time not classy and luxurious enough. The SL is a little bit too senior-looking to me when the SLK looks so much fresher and more fun. The SLK55 is the ultimate embodiment of Youthfulness, Class, Luxury and Power.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts