Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SLK 55 Special Edition

10K views 48 replies 8 participants last post by  easty 
#1 ·
I think it's good to start a thread on this car. It's very interesting how information has been released. Initially 35 cars reported to have been sold to be part of an Asian racing cup league.

Only months Later we Now have anoucements of a small level production amount
of a car named "Special Edition" and "Black". Although it was reported that these would be available by the end of june 2006, I've not yet seen any information or images of these on the road or track. This new model has not been destined for north america as new legislation means cars should have side air bags and the bucket race seats could not possibly have these integral.

Now AMG have released news of a new department to focus on small volume production of more sports focused AMG's and they also released information that this department is focusing on a black edition of the vehicle that will adhere to the regulations for north america.

Some Images of the new special edition as released by MB/AMG.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Few more images.

Notice the new vents in between the wheel arch and door on the wing. This is to aid transmission cooling, as we've seen
reports of of transmission overheating problems when the stock SLK has been on the track.

This images shows the complete roof piece and no breaks which we are used to on the stock car with the vario roof

Mesh grill replaces the slotted vents with a carbon surrond and 19" milled wheels.

G
#3 ·
I have just noticed that the special series has a one piece roof whereas the experience Asia car seems to be the normal vario-type so maybe AMG has made this one a structural component and the Asia car merely has its hydraulics removed?

#4 ·
DansSlk said:
I have just noticed that the special series has a one piece roof whereas the experience Asia car seems to be the normal vario-type so maybe AMG has made this one a structural component and the Asia car merely has its hydraulics removed?
I know there are a lot of differences between the asia cup and special edition. The fact that the roll post behind the head of the chair are still present hints it's not an integral part of the car though. Also I guess if they reduce any stregnth in the car body then all the safety test the car has been through are no longer valid. I think just losing the mechanics of the vario and replacing the metalics with cfc and maybe the back window with lightweight plastic, your talking a lot of saving?

G
#5 ·
Yeah i have the weight of the roof systems somewhere around i cant remember the exact figure but it ain't exactly light.
And as Merc say the benefit of the lower centre of gravity should help improve the handling of the beast also.
Again i imagine it all depend on what weight saving they where looking for, i cant say i like the new vents in the side of the car however if they where like the ones on the SL then i am looking at the perfect car

G
#14 ·
OK easty i said i would check and from what i have been told the Experience Asia cars roof is just tacked on with the hydraulics removed the Special Series cars roof is properly fixed to the rest of the car but is not designed to support the cars weight hence the reason for leaving the roll bars and the different a-pillar body panel

Hope this helps

Dan

G
#17 ·
You are right easty 45kg reduced weight for the Special Series they would not go into the Experience Asia cars as they are not production so the weight measurement is not in accordance with some stupid EU directive or something like that

#18 ·
DansSlk said:
You are right easty 45kg reduced weight for the Special Series they would not go into the Experience Asia cars as they are not production so the weight measurement is not in accordance with some stupid EU directive or something like that
Ahh Interesting information, It seems like the most drivable track SLK55 is from Vaeth:) Has KW suspension etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.