Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK 55 AMG
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our '05 SLK 55 has 75K miles on it, and still makes us grin like idiots. But i'm wondering if it might not be time to replace the shock absorbers. But what to replace them with?

I don't want to lower the car (we live in nearly-rural western Washington state, on a dirt road, and in the land of spring-time potholes!) below stock, and really don't want to stiffen the ride (stiffen up an AMG 55? ouw, my kidneys!) So what would the assembled wisdom recommend for replacement shocks?

thanks, all!

blackdog
'05 SLK 55 AMG, Orion Blue.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
How about the shocks used in the SLK55 performance package? I test drove one (Klinh's) and it was noticeably stiffer than the regular SLK55 R171 but still comfortable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If the shocks are not leaking and you're not bottoming out, I'd leave them be. If they do start to fail, I'd stick with stock shocks. I know exactly what you mean about not wanting to stiffen up the ride anymore than it already is. Our '06 was fairly harsh when we got it with the stock Pirellis on it. After switching over to Continental DW tires, the car not only performs better, but is also much, much more comfortable.

l8r)

·
Registered
82 Posts
What about shocks for the other end of the spectrum? If anything, I'd be willing to sacrifice some handling for a more comfortable ride. Anyone have experience doing this?

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
What about shocks for the other end of the spectrum? If anything, I'd be willing to sacrifice some handling for a more comfortable ride. Anyone have experience doing this?
Why would you get an AMG????

·
Banned
992 Posts
If the shocks are not leaking and you're not bottoming out, I'd leave them be. If they do start to fail, I'd stick with stock shocks. I know exactly what you mean about not wanting to stiffen up the ride anymore than it already is. Our '06 was fairly harsh when we got it with the stock Pirellis on it. After switching over to Continental DW tires, the car not only performs better, but is also much, much more comfortable.

l8r)
+1

Replace things when they actually fail - spend the rest of your $$$ on gasoline. :tu:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,272 Posts
I just had my B service at 78k and asked my tech to check springs, shocks etc. He said that they are in great shape. Like Deafy says, spend that dough some other way.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
509 Posts
I want / need to stiffen my suspension up a bit on my 05 55 AMG, anyone know a sure way to accomplish that aside from welding bolts between the coils on the springs? :)

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
181 Posts
Our '05 SLK 55 has 75K miles on it, and still makes us grin like idiots. But i'm wondering if it might not be time to replace the shock absorbers. But what to replace them with?

I don't want to lower the car (we live in nearly-rural western Washington state, on a dirt road, and in the land of spring-time potholes!) below stock, and really don't want to stiffen the ride (stiffen up an AMG 55? ouw, my kidneys!) So what would the assembled wisdom recommend for replacement shocks?

thanks, all!

blackdog
'05 SLK 55 AMG, Orion Blue.

hi
i have same car and year model ,i replace it with same original specs as amg and
confortable and here the pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
I tried to get the same as OEM from Bilstein and waited 18 months on special order and never did get them.

I still have a rattle in one of mine but just can't pay the stealer - yet.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG & 2006 Kleemann 55K S8
924 Posts
I tried to get the same as OEM from Bilstein and waited 18 months on special order and never did get them.

I still have a rattle in one of mine but just can't pay the stealer - yet.
They should not be special order, B4 are stock, B6 are stock with sport suspension. B8 are a B6 but shorter if you have lowering springs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.