Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have electrical problems with my SLK55. The regular beam headlights aren't turning on. I went to a mechanic, they tried replacing the bulbs, and they told me to go to an electrician because the bulbs have been replaced and they're not working. I would like fix this problem on my own. The problem is that I don't know anything about cars.

Specs: 2008 R171 55k miles.

·
*Premium Member
2006 SLK55 AMG
415 Posts
Electrical problems can be difficult things to use as a "learning experience". It would seem that the mechanic you chose is not very knowledgeable of Mercedes cars. I would recommend you look for a shop that specializes in Mercedes cars and let them have a go at the problem.

Bob

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK350
3,249 Posts
What PitchRate says.
Cars nowadays are loaded with computers, and faultfinding is not that easy.
Your headlights i.e are controlled by something that is called a SAM (Signal Aquisition Module). Theres is one in the front and 1 in the back and they control all kind of things among which your head- and rearlights. Aparts from checking fuses and wiring there is not much you can do. I.e. there is no relay you could swap, it's directly controlled by the SAM.
A specialized shop has diagnosticc equipment called STAR and with that the should be able to find the problem.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,938 Posts

·
*Registered
2006 SLK280
674 Posts
I have electrical problems with my SLK55. The regular beam headlights aren't turning on. I went to a mechanic, they tried replacing the bulbs, and they told me to go to an electrician because the bulbs have been replaced and they're not working. I would like fix this problem on my own. The problem is that I don't know anything about cars.

Specs: 2008 R171 55k miles.

it maybe simplier than most people here think.... your car is slk55, I assumed it has HID head light?? if it has HID, and the bulb is new, fuse is OK, then most likely the ballast is broken... have the ballast check...

·
Registered
232 Posts
It could be both control modules for the HID's?

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
An independent garage that specializes in MB is your best bet. It should be be difficult to find one in Santa Monica.
What does your vehicle data card say about your headlamps? Are they Bi-Xenon HID lamps or regular H7 lamps? Do you have the lighting package?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What PitchRate says.
Cars nowadays are loaded with computers, and faultfinding is not that easy.
Your headlights i.e are controlled by something that is called a SAM (Signal Aquisition Module). Theres is one in the front and 1 in the back and they control all kind of things among which your head- and rearlights. Aparts from checking fuses and wiring there is not much you can do. I.e. there is no relay you could swap, it's directly controlled by the SAM.
A specialized shop has diagnosticc equipment called STAR and with that the should be able to find the problem.
I just went to a shop yesterday and they said exactly this, I think. They said that if after the headlights still aren't working after the bulbs have been replaced that I have to replace the three modules in each headlight. Would it be possible for me to do this myself? They said that they have to see which one is bad. I'd like to replace all of them... The car is really old and I don't want to take it to a mechanic every week. I looked up the repairs on youtube and they don't seem too difficult.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
An independent garage that specializes in MB is your best bet. It should be be difficult to find one in Santa Monica.
What does your vehicle data card say about your headlamps? Are they Bi-Xenon HID lamps or regular H7 lamps? Do you have the lighting package?
They're Xenon HID lights and they cost $100 each to replace, or so I'm told. I went to one mechanic that's what he said. I went to yesterday's shop and they said $175.

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK350
3,249 Posts
I'm not aware of 3 modules in each headlight, afaik there is only 1 module in each headlight, also called the ballast, which indead could be faulty too, as suggested by a member in a previous post.
But I have been wrong before.......
Anyway, if you are able to replace them depends on your mechanical skills, but here's some info. Hope it helps.
BTW, car is really old?????????????? 2008 and just 55k miles? Man, it's just broken in !

Attachments

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
17,983 Posts
I'm not aware of 3 modules in each headlight, afaik there is only 1 module in each headlight, also called the ballast, which indead could be faulty too, as suggested by a member in a previous post.
But I have been wrong before.......
Anyway, if you are able to replace them depends on your mechanical skills, but here's some info. Hope it helps.
BTW, car is really old?????????????? 2008 and just 55k miles? Man, it's just broken in !
I have just had MB replace the ballast on both my headlights. Having watched the mechanic do one I believe it is a straight forward job and would do it myself if, God forbid as they're not cheap, they go again.
Access was be removing the forward panel in the wheel arch. The outer ballast mounting bolt is a little tricky to access though and care has to be taken when refitting the new ballast to the plug as apparently it can be easily damaged.

Incidentally, there was another "control box" (mechanics description) attached to the light bulb, but he didn't explain what this was for.
Also there was no requirement to remove headlamp washer equipment.

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
The 3 major components are:
1. ballast
2. igniter (located just behind the lamp/bulb itself)
3. HID lamp/light bulb

Reactions: Sneaky Pete

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
They're Xenon HID lights and they cost $100 each to replace, or so I'm told. I went to one mechanic that's what he said. I went to yesterday's shop and they said $175.
Are both low beam headlamps not working?
How about the parking lamps? high beam H7 lamps and turn signal lamps? Are all of these working/functioning properly?

I had one low beam lamp go out (fortunately it was still under warranty). Initially the technician thought it was the ballast, but after replacing the ballast it didn't work.

So he moved the lamp/bulb to the other side and checked... it was a faulty lamp/light bulb, and it does cost more than $100USD per light bulb. Just ask Durkatlon :grin:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.