Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for new front pads for Upah and I can't seem to find any consensus searching here - most of the discussion here seems to be about the rotors. I'd love to hear your thoughts on pads. I've searched MB, fcpeuro, rockauto, and the local parts stores.

The pads I'm replacing look to be metallic - lots of shiny flecks in the pad material. I'm wondering what the group experience here is with any of the wide variety of pads available. If you search online, you can find them from $30 to $220, with a wide variety of compositions - organic, metallic, ceramic, ferro-carbon, and others.

I have the 340mm rotors with six-pot calipers.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,214 Posts

·
94,214 Posts

·
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I couldn't find the Akebono's in the right size - the EUR847's appear to be for the four-pot calipers (based on the photographs at least). The whole process of find brake pads for Upah's six-pot calipers has been problematic. Most of the retailers have incorrect cross reference information it seems - their photos show them as the wrong pads in most cases. And many don't provide details about their composition.

·
Registered 05 SLK55 & 06 Kleemann 55K S8
881 Posts
I couldn't find the Akebono's in the right size - the EUR847's appear to be for the four-pot calipers (based on the photographs at least). The whole process of find brake pads for Upah's six-pot calipers has been problematic. Most of the retailers have incorrect cross reference information it seems - their photos show them as the wrong pads in most cases. And many don't provide details about their composition.
I wouldn't trust photo's, most just use a stock brake pad photo for that brand.

·
94,214 Posts
I mean, what is the exact Akebono part number? I saw this link previously, and visited it, but found no way there to find an exact part number for the 6-pot, 340mm fronts.
you asked me if ceramic, so that is what i posted. :D

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,438 Posts
I’ve just put EBC Redstuff ceramic pads on my R172 SLK55. I previously put similar Redstuff pads on my R171 SLK55. I’m a fan of them but I’ve not tried any other ceramic pads to compare. Akebono I’ve heard of but couldn’t find pads for my car here in the UK.
The initial bite from EBC Redstuff pads is not as sharp as standard semi-metallic pads but is more progressive. That said if you need to stop quickly applying more pressure on the pedal will compensate.
They produce very little dust which is easily cleaned off and does not fuse to the wheels like the metallic dust does.
Not done significant mileage on a set of pads yet so can’t comment on life.
If you can get them, try them! You might like them!

·
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ordered "Beck/Arnley 0891873" from Rock Auto, the box arrived in two days. The box was re-taped having been previously opened (which plays into my theory that the cross-reference data is incorrect - somebody returned these). It's a blue box with "ATE Original" branding, and Beck/Arnley stickers put over the existing ATE nomenclature. That's at least reassuring since I've seen many ATE brake parts in the last 50 years... I can make out the ATE part number - 604806 - which I found on ATE's web catalog, and it shows as designed for Brembo braking systems (which is also reassuring). However, there is nothing about the composition shown on the box or in the catalog. I think I'll put them on, and if the dust is excessive I'll replace them in the fall.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
744 Posts
Just had to replace pads and rotors on my 6 pots. I reckon the floating/drilled/grooved 6 pot set up is pretty overspec'd for road use anyhow so I wasn't too worried about extra bite. If it's anything to you I replaced with new Brembo rotors and pads and 200 miles in, the feel and performance is exactly the same as the originals which to me, is exactly what the doctor ordered!

Maya ~Tapatalk

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've used EBC RedStuff pads on my 171 55 fronts, and love 'em! Braking is easy & progressive. Stomp 'em & feel your eyes strain! Stops quicker than my friend's C7 from 80mph, repeatedly (no fade - use Valvoline synthetic brake fluid). Now, at nearly 100k miles, I have to FINALLY replace my rear brake pads (have just under 50k on my EBC fronts).

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,438 Posts
I've used EBC RedStuff pads on my 171 55 fronts, and love 'em! Braking is easy & progressive. Stomp 'em & feel your eyes strain! Stops quicker than my friend's C7 from 80mph, repeatedly (no fade - use Valvoline synthetic brake fluid). Now, at nearly 100k miles, I have to FINALLY replace my rear brake pads (have just under 50k on my EBC fronts).
Having covered 50K miles with the Redstuff front pads how is your rotor wear? Be interesting to know if these pads increase or reduce the rotor wear rate. :smile:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Not sure... I'm at 49k miles for the new pads & rotors. Just had a Schedule B, and they said my fronts still look good. Does anyone (@Jbanks?) know the correct part # for the '09 55 rear pads? Is it A 003 420 30 20?

·
DAS/STAR Registered Owner
4,018 Posts
Pagid on the front for me ..

As has been mentioned, the initial bite isn't as strong as OEM, but they do stop when you press the pedal ...

Not sure I'd go with them again if I'm honest ...

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
25,545 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts

·
94,214 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts