Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
*Registered
2019 SLC300
3,113 Posts
I’m kind of steering towards the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4’s from Costco, they’ve got a good deal too - it would be under a grand everything included (installation, 5 year warranty, etc.)

Now the question is do I continue with the 265/35 on the rear tires like I have now (which I’ve always had since buying the car) or should I try for 255 or 245’s? I read wider tires give better performance, or would the 245’s feel more natural with the car?
I would go with the setup that MB had on the car when new. That would most likely be the front 225/40/18 and the rear 245/35/18

·
Administrator (Canada)
23,770 Posts
What’s an all season tyre - if we’re talking ice? Snow, ice, they need proper winter tyres, no?
All season are really only meant for a light dusting of snow. Dedicated winter tires are best for decent amounts of snow and are not meant for warm temps as they will break down in the heat.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
2,637 Posts
All season are really only meant for a light dusting of snow. Dedicated winter tires are best for decent amounts of snow and are not meant for warm temps as they will break down in the heat.
I do apologise, Len, it was a rhetorical question!

·
*Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thank you everyone for the advice, I really really appreciate it. After this post and reading through the forum, I feel much more knowledgeable about tires for my R171 than I did before.

At the end it came down to the Michelin vs the Continental, and both had really good reviews and the Continental had more feedback on this post than the A/S Michelins, I had a hard time choosing between the two.

But after a lot of consideration, I ended up going with the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires mostly because I already have the Continentals right now and wanted to try something new. And I have heard a lot about the Michelin PS4’s and the video that @smsunder posted showed the A/S PS4’s neck-in-neck with the Continentals, and better by a little in some tests.

I also took @Gbarringer100 ‘s advice about tire size and going with what Mercedes originally had on the car and what they recommend. It’s tough to argue against “this is what the manufacturer made the car for and intended it to be used with” and so I went with 225/40/18 on the front and 245/35/18 on the rear (instead of 265).

Cost me a grand total of $865 from Costco with installation and warranty and a $150 off black Friday deal included. They had the tires ordered in under a day, and I’ll go get them installed tomorrow!

Wish me luck, I hope they don’t scratch the under side of the car, I’ll caution them about this too when I drop it off.

As for the summer vs all season vs winter, all season makes the most sense for where I live. It gets super hot in the summers, freezing temps and light snow in the winters and some icing on the roads which the all season can deal with. I also have some experience with Michelin A/S on my Porsche, it climbed a 60 degree slope covered in a thick layer of snow leading up to the vacation house in one go multiple times in Colorado. Which my brother’s CRV could not do at all, we tried many times and also with speed, it would slide off somewhere halfway. So All Seasons can handle a decent amount of ice and snow, can’t go crazy of course, but definitely better than summer tires and for winter tires I’d have to change out in the summers and it’s not that wintery here.

Finally, anything else to consider or tell them when I go there? I’ve never had to change a tire on the car, it seems like a regular tire change process, but is there anything else they would need to know?

Edit - Oh and happy Thanksgiving y’all!

·
*Premium Member
2006 SLK55 AMG 621418 619056
147 Posts
Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the PS4s

Reactions: shanu2

·
*Registered
2006 SLK350
694 Posts
I've had good success with the Pilot 4's. The first version of them that I had were dangerous in the rain. When I replaced them I got the newer release and they are much, much better in the rain. I'm about ready for new ones again. If I could get them, believe it or not, I would try a set of Michelin Defender's but they are not available in my size.

Reactions: shanu2 and smsunder

·
**Registered From: New Mexico
602 Posts
Unfortunately we’ll have below 45 degree temps all winter. We’ve had a bit of snow the last couple years and expect some this year too. But driving in near freezing temps is expected, so I don’t wanna risk putting summer tires on. The bridges do ice in the winter.

Would the performance be impacted if I put all season tires on? And if so, by how much compared to the Continental Contact ones on there right now? I don’t intend to track the car or anything just regular driving sometimes driving fast through curves and also going fast in a straight line. Which is technically all driving, isn’t it? :unsure: So yeah, whatever keeps me going fast and keeping grip, I do realize that it could be all over with one unfortunate skid, so being very mindful of that.
Your weather and temp is about the same as us. All season tires will give you the best overall. As stated summer will not work for our temps.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts