Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

after having modified my car's exterior to look like a facelift SLK 55 AMG, it is time to order all the things that I need for the interior transformation.

I have made a list and the only problem for now seems to be the instrument cluster. Has anyone tried to install a facelift SLK 55 AMG instrument cluster to a pre-facelift non AMG model?

I tried to find a relevant post but I couldn't and I remember that I have read for some problems with this modification in the past...problems like not displaying the average fuel consumption etc.

I will buy the instrument cluster new from the dealership, so I guess there will not be any problems related to the clusters locking to a car after 250 KMs etc...

Any help will be invaluable!

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,875 Posts
I believe if you buy cluster new you will have to extract your old milage to be inputted to the new cluster and will need star /das etc to do it .

Or start from 00000 miles .

Dont know if the facelift cluster is compatible with earlier 171 and can be coded etc

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe if you buy cluster new you will have to extract your old milage to be inputted to the new cluster and will need star /das etc to do it .

Or start from 00000 miles .

Dont know if the facelift cluster is compatible with earlier 171 and can be coded etc
We will have to extract the old milage for sure, that is something it can be done if you buy a new instrument cluster from the dealership.

The problem is the coding and if the facelift cluster is compatible with the old model, because the facelift models have a new ECU...There is someone in the dealership that I am going to, that can code almost everything but he has never tried to do this exact modification. I will probably buy it and be the first to try it, if someone hasn't tried it already :)

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,875 Posts
I have heard the milage is also stored in the gearbox ??
But maybe on the more expensive models of mercs .

Will have to be confirmed .

But yes new milage can be added to new cluster .

Id imagine the elec connections would be the same also ?

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
It's a straight swap connector wise, and once coded to your car will work as per normal - you'll only need extra coding IF you have already made any changes from standard to your current instrument cluster (I had added the outside air temperature to mine, and had to recode this in the new one for example)

I've changed my pre-facelift cluster to a facelifted one without any issues (I bough mine used, and had the mileage on it zero'd so I could fit it). you'll get the AMG extras - Oil temperature, gear indicator and stopwatch/laptimer too

If you're buying new from a dealer then it won't take them long to fit and code

Reactions: Kostas.slk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a straight swap connector wise, and once coded to your car will work as per normal - you'll only need extra coding IF you have already made any changes from standard to your current instrument cluster (I had added the outside air temperature to mine, and had to recode this in the new one for example)

I've changed my pre-facelift cluster to a facelifted one without any issues (I bough mine used, and had the mileage on it zero'd so I could fit it). you'll get the AMG extras - Oil temperature, gear indicator and stopwatch/laptimer too

If you're buying new from a dealer then it won't take them long to fit and code
Thank you for all the info! I have coded mine to display the liters of fuel remaining in the tank and outside air temperature. I don't think it will be a problem to add these options to the new one.

The crucial part is that there weren't any problems in the normal function of the facelift cluster. Hope there aren't any differences between the SLK 55 AMG models and my SLK 200...but after having your info I will definitely give it a try!

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
Thank you for all the info! I have coded mine to display the liters of fuel remaining in the tank and outside air temperature. I don't think it will be a problem to add these options to the new one.
You'll need to recode these - not a biggie!!

The crucial part is that there weren't any problems in the normal function of the facelift cluster. Hope there aren't any differences between the SLK 55 AMG models and my SLK 200...but after having your info I will definitely give it a try![/QUOTE]

No problems - It's all done by CANBUS!! One of the guys on here put the AMG cluster in a 350 without any issues ...

Shame you want a facelift one - my prefacelift cluster is still sat in my garage!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You'll need to recode these - not a biggie!!

The crucial part is that there weren't any problems in the normal function of the facelift cluster. Hope there aren't any differences between the SLK 55 AMG models and my SLK 200...but after having your info I will definitely give it a try!
No problems - It's all done by CANBUS!! One of the guys on here put the AMG cluster in a 350 without any issues ...

Shame you want a facelift one - my prefacelift cluster is still sat in my garage!![/QUOTE]

It is really a shame...I want the whole facelift package and the thing is that I am paying to get parts I already have because the color of the buttons has changed!

I could ask some of my friends with SLKs if they want your cluster, but the real issue is that we have learned to think only in the metric system! I have a US-spec Wrangler Rubicon with miles on the tachometer but it still has a sub-circle with kilometers in order to be able to understand what your speed is...

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
55 Posts
Kostas,

You can search the web for MPH to KPH convertion dials for the Rubicon.
I bought my AMG cluster from Los Angeles so it came with miles in the speedometer.
I also bought the Kmh dials from heiler-tachodesign.de
They have most types of the models and buyer can also make his unique dial by choosing color, font, logo e.t.c.
Ask them about yours.

I made mine with "Turbocharged" logo instead of the AMG logo in the revmeter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.