Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
hi guys
just got my SLK 55 AMG 2013 2 weeks ago, and i love the roar of the engine especially in the sport mode, was wondering if the setting can be changed so you can start the car directly in the sport mode or it is always that you have to start in the comfort mode then shift it to the sport mode
thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Always starts in C mode. Some tuners, Renntech comes to mind, have been able to turn off default Eco mode. They may be able to make it start in S. Worth an ask.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I haven't an answer but I would like my car to "remember" the mode I set... I also set my car to sport when I start it and drive it that way until it is warm. My reasoning? Well, I want even wear on the cylinders and it seems like a good idea, it will make it warm up faster, it won't cut off on a stop anyhow until it's at running temp anyhow. I believe and those are my reasons. Someone tell me if I am just full of "it".

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,503 Posts
Nope.

Asked many times and always the same answer :frown:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,067 Posts
Get a r171. It remembers :D

·
DAS/STAR Registered Owner 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,023 Posts
I've not hooked up to a 172 yet .. would need the steps listed out if anyone has them ..?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Most likely pressing the C/S/M button creates a canbus message.
This'd be quite a good candidate for a canbus device, such as smarttop, to listen to and recreate on power-on.

They have something similar to this on R231 model smarttop.

I'll see if a feature request ticket to them (mods4cars) could be opened on this. Unfortunately, I don't have a canbus scanner, so I can't provide them with the exact messages.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I want even wear on the cylinders and it seems like a good idea... Someone tell me if I am just full of "it".
Wear is accelerated by high loads and undersquareness of engine, resulting in block bore turning oval on thrust side.

Cylinder cutoff nicely turns off in any load above raw-egg-between-pedal-and-boot, and M152 has 98mm against 90.5mm bore/stroke, thus being oversquare.

Might not see much of uneven wear in practice, although, it would've made me happier, if resting cylinders would alternate, which they don't.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wear is accelerated by high loads and undersquareness of engine, resulting in block bore turning oval on thrust side.

Cylinder cutoff nicely turns off in any load above raw-egg-between-pedal-and-boot, and M152 has 98mm against 90.5mm bore/stroke, thus being oversquare.

Might not see much of uneven wear in practice, although, it would've made me happier, if resting cylinders would alternate, which they don't.
" it would've made me happier, if resting cylinders would alternate" - Me too...

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,473 Posts
I don’t believe it makes any difference to wear in the deactivated cylinders due to the fact that the pistons being attached to the crankshaft still reciprocate! The deactivation just cuts fuel injection and spark to those that are switched off.

That said I run mine on 8 until warm also. My reasoning for this being that the engine will get up to temp quicker and it will promote a more uniform heating of the cylinder head so distortion due to temperature differences should be minimised.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
509 Posts
I don’t believe it makes any difference to wear in the deactivated cylinders due to the fact that the pistons being attached to the crankshaft still reciprocate! The deactivation just cuts fuel injection and spark to those that are switched off.

That said I run mine on 8 until warm also. My reasoning for this being that the engine will get up to temp quicker and it will promote a more uniform heating of the cylinder head so distortion due to temperature differences should be minimised.
Excellent thinking Mr. Col.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
509 Posts
I don't believe my 2005 55 AMG has this issue but if it did I would be looking for a way to defeat it permanently. The reason for MDS is fuel economy in an attempt to meet CAFE standards. I don't know if Mercedes got this idea from Chrysler with the Hemi engine or if it was the other way around but it's a horrible idea, if people who bought a performance car wanted a four cylinder they would buy a Focus ST at least that car has a turbo, @Col brought up an excellent point in regard to uneven heating of the cylinder heads but I don't think uneven wear would come into play as much as issues with the dead cylinders tending to develop carbon buildup due to running cooler than the live cylinders. The best way to save fuel is to keep your foot out of the skinny pedal on the right (in US anyway). I don't really see how cutting half your potential horsepower saves you anything since it takes the same amount of energy to move the mass of your vehicle up inclines, against wind resistance and always gravity no matter what, it's not like when you shut down four cylinders the other four somehow magically become more powerful, in fact they just have to work twice as hard to make up for the slackers and even drag them along. What % of fuel is this design supposed to save anyway does anyone know? I read that for the average driver MDS is active only 5 to 8% of the time, it seems an awful lot of trouble and potential issues for such a small fraction of time the system would be active. I searched and I can't find anything on actual results for fuel savings on cars with MDS. I drove my 2005 to work and averaged 24.3 MPG, what are the vehicles with MDS averaging I wonder?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts