Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently contacted DMS after spotting their add in EVO magazine. Did a bit of searching and read good things about the remapping they provide, so contacted them in reference to my SLK 350. Below was the reply

For the SLK 350K, we can take the power from 272bhp up to 296bhp with the
torque raising from 258lb/ft up to 288lb/ft We also remove the top speed
limiter. The 0-60 will be down from 5.4 to 4.7 seconds, the throttle
response will be sharp and aggressive improving the experience of driving
through the whole rev range

Now over the years I have tuned many cars using carbs, cams, exhausts, head flows etc etc so have a good idea of what you can extract from various engines. I however havn't much knowledge on remaps. The increase in bhp and torque seems reasonable but the 0-60 times don't make sense.

Any thoughts on this would be welcome

·
Registered
163 Posts
these gains are good for a NA engine, and sound about right (I always take 0-60 times with a pinch of salt)....

However when I looked at this I was told the ECU could not be read through the OBD (can be written to bizarrely) and had to be removed to read the map off of it.

If there are just writing to the ECU I would be wary of being given a 'generic' map..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention costs £595+vat.

As I said reviews don't look bad but have not found a SLK with DMS remap.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm used to tuning cars the away you are , the Stone Age way !
I'd be surprised if those gains are possible on a naturally aspirated engine , what can they improve to make the gain , alter the mixture and advance the timing then run it on highest octane fuel poss ?
Are they willing to dyno before and after ?
I've only ever read good things about dms but that said , they do take out some rather large adverts in magazines ::wink:
Good luck if you go for it , charging that much there must be a noticeable difference .

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,173 Posts
0-60 in 4.7.... how is that possible lol
I have headers and a tune, I have beat that! But I also have 2 more cylinders :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks jbanks15.
Don't think that helps with my little v6.Is it possible that we can ever buy a car and say the power is perfect, or is it in our dna to find more >:D

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,173 Posts
My previous was a 2005 SLK 350 :D :D Silver. see my albums

·
Registered
74 Posts
I got 5.3 with oe tuning ecu, full tank of petrol 7G tronic slk 350 ... so these guys claiming 4.7 are talking bs or my cars ecu is broke lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will email them back Monday and mention figures on bhp and torque look reasonable but the

4.7 sec 0-60
Will need convincing.

No one can ever guarantee such figures as we know all cars are different

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hope this post doesn't come up twice as first attempt not showing.

So to all that have followed this post. I got a email back from DMS regarding the 0-60 claim and this was the reply

Hi Nick,

It is mostly down to the fact that we bring the torque peak so much lower in the rev range, where at standard it take a lot longer to get to the acceleration much more dramatic.

Regards
Tony

SO NOW DESCISION TIME

·
Registered
32 Posts
You will never get the 0 to 60 times even stated by Mercedes!!!!

These figures have to be taken with a pinch of salt as they remove the wing mirrors, all the body gap's are tapped up to improve air flow, a dribble ov fuel with a red hot track and a cool breeze blowing to top it off.....
oh' and they forgot to mention there test driver is a 4ft 3inch anorexic horse jockey that used to ride Red Rum at the grand national lol..

·
Registered
352 Posts
Not sure about the 4.7... More like 5 seconds to be honest! However, their explanation on peak torque lower down the rev range makes sense!
Use a dose of Redex + BP Ultimate fuel, see what happens. +24hp 30lbs/ft
Perhaps give MSL performance in Birmingham a ring or Angel tuning (Banbury?) I've heard a bunch of horror stories at CKS performance but every cloud has a silver lining? lol :) DMS are good from what i've heard.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hope this post doesn't come up twice as first attempt not showing.

So to all that have followed this post. I got a email back from DMS regarding the 0-60 claim and this was the reply

Hi Nick,

It is mostly down to the fact that we bring the torque peak so much lower in the rev range, where at standard it take a lot longer to get to the acceleration much more dramatic.

Regards
Tony

SO NOW DESCISION TIME

bro its bs its just high stalling the car guaranteed. but id rather you do it so then we know for sure if its 4 realz or not ;)

·
Registered 2006 SLK350 sold/now 2018 SL400
281 Posts
I'm used to tuning cars the away you are , the Stone Age way !
I'd be surprised if those gains are possible on a naturally aspirated engine , what can they improve to make the gain , alter the mixture and advance the timing then run it on highest octane fuel poss ?
Are they willing to dyno before and after ?
I've only ever read good things about dms but that said , they do take out some rather large adverts in magazines ::wink:
Good luck if you go for it , charging that much there must be a noticeable difference .
The gains do seem a bit optimistic for a NA engine. I've had a merc Cdi and a VW Tdi chipped with good results. But my 2.0 NA primera felt a bit more flexible but it wasn't a huge change.
If you go for it I hope I'm proved wrong, and if they do a dyno please post on here.

Cheers,
Mark0:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts