Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have just purchased a slk 350 auto (2005) and i have a question about the gear selector buttons behind the steering wheel.

Should the left button change down a gear and the right button change up a gear? My buttons do the same thing! One part of the left button changes up and another part of the left button changes down a gear (same with the right)

Thanks guys :)

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Dont know about buttons Mine has paddles. There is a dimple on the left hand one (change down) and a pimple on the right hand one (change up ) I assume as woolly says its the same for the buttons. Not as I ever use mine. Cant see the need :)

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,223 Posts
chaz,

Welcome to the World’s Premier Mercedes-Benz SLK Community from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’.

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

Do you have the owner's manual. it is covered inthere.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.
If you wish to PM (Private Message) someone, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.

Thank you,
Jeff
Founding Member/Moderator

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
I scared myself silly one day not long after i got the car. Stopped in pull in to check the road atlas. as I pulled away the car would not change gear. After a few seconds panic I realised I had knocked the lever into manual mode with the book and was staying in first gear. Phew such a sigh of relief when I realised what I had done :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow! Thanks for all of the quick responses!

Thanks jeff, I will get that updated straight away,

Thanks again everyone!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,223 Posts
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Dont know about buttons Mine has paddles. There is a dimple on the left hand one (change down) and a pimple on the right hand one (change up ) I assume as woolly says its the same for the buttons. Not as I ever use mine. Cant see the need :)
In my 2005 350 I have the ingnominous two rocker buttons, but as I read it seems you have two paddles in your 2006, left one to godecrease gears and right one to increase, right?

Did this come standard? I wanted to exchange my buttons for paddles, but I found no clear info on that, only on the SLK55 paddles...

Anybody know how to do this in a SLK350?

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:confused:I prefer paddles to buttons, plus they look nicer. You might get an idea how much you would use the paddles if you had them, and if it would justify the swap. I didn't use them on my previous SLK and my current non MB vehicle has them. Again, I don't use them. Don't like the delay in shifting.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
In my 2005 350 I have the ingnominous two rocker buttons, but as I read it seems you have two paddles in your 2006, left one to godecrease gears and right one to increase, right?

Did this come standard? I wanted to exchange my buttons for paddles, but I found no clear info on that, only on the SLK55 paddles...

Anybody know how to do this in a SLK350?
I think they were part of the sports pack option ordered by the cars original owner. Maybe one of the more knowledgeable members can enlighten us :)

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Number of threads here on retrofitting paddles in place of buttons. There were three options available, and they were sold in some markets as part of the Sports Pack, and in others an individual option - UK being an example...

The option code was 428. From start of build until 31/05/2006, they were the up/down buttons. After 31/05/2006 until 31/03/2008 they where plastic paddles. In some markets you could get the AMG paddles on non-AMG cars - these where aluminum, and were standard on the '55's from MY07.

With the facelift, it's more confusing - most of the paddles where the "smaller" aluminum colored plastic paddles, and the AMG's with the 030 package got the really nice aluminum ones.

In general, any can be retrofitted to a wheel that had buttons - there's some hacking and sawing to be done, but it's very doable, and if you take your time, looks great as well.

I find 'em "fun to have", but don't see them as a necessity. Driving a new 2012 M3 with the DSG, they are useful, if a bit scary - that gearbox is now down in the sub 60ms per shift sort of range.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Number of threads here on retrofitting paddles in place of buttons. There were three options available, and they were sold in some markets as part of the Sports Pack, and in others an individual option - UK being an example...

The option code was 428. From start of build until 31/05/2006, they were the up/down buttons. After 31/05/2006 until 31/03/2008 they where plastic paddles. In some markets you could get the AMG paddles on non-AMG cars - these where aluminum, and were standard on the '55's from MY07.

With the facelift, it's more confusing - most of the paddles where the "smaller" aluminum colored plastic paddles, and the AMG's with the 030 package got the really nice aluminum ones.

In general, any can be retrofitted to a wheel that had buttons - there's some hacking and sawing to be done, but it's very doable, and if you take your time, looks great as well.

I find 'em "fun to have", but don't see them as a necessity. Driving a new 2012 M3 with the DSG, they are useful, if a bit scary - that gearbox is now down in the sub 60ms per shift sort of range.
Can I have more information about the hacking and sawing the sucess the retrofitting from the two way button to the aluminum paddles on a 2004 SLK 350?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.