Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My name is donald w mcmillan & my wife is gail l. I am 80 years old come 9/17/2011 & my wife is 67.
We both love convertiables and have been members of the bccw (british car club of wichita) since 2003.
I have not been a true beliver of british cars but enjoy the bccw members and getting together with them very much. Even thou we have loved mazda mitias, the club has been most forgiving!

Oh, yes we live in wchita ks and on the 29 of aug had the chance to buy a 2006 slk 350, firemist red from a local saab dealer.

The car is beautiful and looks (almost new) and it is sure an eye catcher and many "thrmbs up" jesters!

As a result of attempting to be on the safe side with so much coverage in the operator's manual, the car was taken to the a reputatble tire store to check out the balance/condition of all 4 of the origiinal wheels and tires, the shop owner informed me of" visable inside tire cupping" on both frount tires.

His diagonsis was that the struts were the cause of the non normal condition on such a low milage vehicle, 17500 miles.

I am seeking advise on this condition & any help would be most appriciated.

Sincerely,
donald w mcmillan
14016 e gilbert st
wichita, ks 67230
316-733-5570 fax & phone
e-mail [email protected] and
[email protected]

thanking you all in advance!

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION;
LOCATION IS IN WICHITA KS, IN SPRINGDALE LAKES S/D
VEHICLE; IS A 2006 FIREMIST RED CONVERT WITH 17,500 MILES, IT WAS PURCHASED IN FLA NEW AND THE S/N IS WDBWK56FX6F095488

I AM STILL ON THE "LEARNING CURVE" AND COULD NOT FIND "USERCP', OR "EDIT YOUR DETAILS" OR "ADDITIONAL INFORMATION" AS SUGGESTED BY 257257.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Welcome from NE England (via NW England). Congratulations on your new car.

Are you sure that you have 'cupping' type wear, not just general uneven wear across the tyre?. Cupping is usually a sign of having run with under-inflated tyres.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,407 Posts
Donald,

Welcome to the World’s Premier Mercedes-Benz SLK Community from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.
If you wish to PM (Private Message) someone, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.

Thank you,
Jeff
Founding Member #12/Moderator

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:Hi, and welcome from Virginia. Congratulations on your 2006 SLK, GREAT color. Happy birthday, eighty, WOW. We all hope we're driving SLKs when we're eighty. Couldn't imagine your struts are bad, with such low mileage. How bad are they cupped? If not bad, I'd re-balance and see how they wear.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hi and welcome to the site. Im just having a wee giggle to myself here as you say you are 80 years old......and your a junior member :)

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
80 yrs young...and a young gal to boot! Well done and welcome to the Forum! Car sounds great and it sounds like you're enjoying life to the fullest. You're my hero!
From Ottawa Canada

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,296 Posts
Congratulations, happy birthday (soon), and welcome!

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,935 Posts
Welcome from Southern California. 80 years old!! Wow, never too old to get your first SLK. Congratulations on the new car.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Welcome from southern California.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Welcome from Michigan.... With your low mileage, I doubt it is the struts unless the vehicle was curbed resulting in an alignment problem. When driving down a relatively straight road, does the vehicle tend to pull one way or the other (alignment issue)? Do you feel a vibration in the steering wheel at a specific speed (wheel balance)?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Good for you, DW, on your purchase of an SLK. Also you have answered a question that has been in the back of my mind since I purchased my SLK. I wondered if I were the oldest person to own/drive an SLK. I will be 75 years old tomorrow (Sept 6) so you have me by a few years. If there are other "Seniors" out there who still enjoy their rides, I would love to hear from you. By the way - I consider myself to be only middle-aged since I plan on living to be 150 yrs old. I also plan on being able to drive the speed of my age until I get to be at least 100, then I may begin to slow down a little. Needless to say, I do not cruise at these speeds, but it if fun to hit those speeds on the less traveled interstates in our area. Go gray power!!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts