Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where can we get stuff for our R172 SLK 350? ECU, air filter, exhaust, etc.

Thanks

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,062 Posts

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
What is SmartTop? If I point key fob at drivers door handle and press OPEN roof folds or closes.
Thats a £110 option - remote roof control.

The difference with the smarttop is you don't have to stand there like a lemon next to the door holding the button down whilst it operates. It doesn't help that I only ever used it once on mine and it failed mid-open.

The smarttop operates by 3 button taps on the remote, then it goes and does its thing - and from a greater distance if needed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I fitted mine last Friday, I knew I wanted one immediately as I had one on my last car (SL500) and it was great. Apart from being able to raise/lower the roof from the keyfob whilst walking to/from the car, being able operate it whilst moving at low speeds is a must. It means you can operate it whilst in heavy or slow-moving traffic without worrying that you'll get caught holding everyone up.

Also I notice that I can now raise the rear windows when the roof is down for better wind protection. You can do that on the SL as standard and I don't understand why Mercedes would disable it on the SLK :confused:

All in all should be everyone's first mod. It's a shame the nanny state means they can't give you that functionality as standard.

·
Registered 2012 SLK250 CDI
291 Posts
hi all ,
is there any places in the uk where you can buy and have fitted a smart top to a r172 ? , i am in Birmingham
thanks

·
95,062 Posts

·
95,062 Posts
Yes I did. We do have female members that put them in.
One is our moderator.
What is wrong with my saying that?
Will they take offense I think highly of their skills?
Or will the poster take offense that his manhood has been challenged? :D

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,258 Posts
hi all ,
is there any places in the uk where you can buy and have fitted a smart top to a r172 ? , i am in Birmingham
thanks
I had step by step instructions which really helped. I would also recommend to have a friend help, lots of light and patience. It really isn't that difficult.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I hate to be a party Poop. But.......My last car was a 1986 Corvette C4 that I bought back in September 86'. Kept it 30 yrs . Cool car that I have outstanding memories with . But for my 50th Birthday I decided it was time to move on and bought my 2015 SLK 350 I have now. I feel extremely spoiled with all the creature comforts. To remove the Targa roof in the corvette is a torturous 1/2 hour affair. As I get older it gets worse and worse. Now I push a button and in 20 seconds I have a convertible. Its amazing. I still cant believe I own it.

Can I ask whats the big deal about standing next to your car for 20 seconds? I actually LOVE watching it work. The whole symphony of gears and technology seamlessly working together. Its beautiful. German engineering at its best. On the Highway its a hardtop. No wind noise. Beautiful shape.

I wouldn't change a thing (after I bought new wheel inserts). I love it. :x

·
95,062 Posts
I hate to be a party Poop. But.......My last car was a 1986 Corvette C4 that I bought back in September 86'. Kept it 30 yrs . Cool car that I have outstanding memories with . But for my 50th Birthday I decided it was time to move on and bought my 2015 SLK 350 I have now. I feel extremely spoiled with all the creature comforts. To remove the Targa roof in the corvette is a torturous 1/2 hour affair. As I get older it gets worse and worse. Now I push a button and in 20 seconds I have a convertible. Its amazing. I still cant believe I own it.

Can I ask whats the big deal about standing next to your car for 20 seconds? I actually LOVE watching it work. The whole symphony of gears and technology seamlessly working together. Its beautiful. German engineering at its best. On the Highway its a hardtop. No wind noise. Beautiful shape.

I wouldn't change a thing (after I bought new wheel inserts). I love it. :x

It is more than standing there. The SmartTop has a ton of features

http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/121481-what-smarttop-all-members-keep-talking-about.html

Its features:

Remote Control - Open and close your convertible top using the original factory remote control key/key fob up to 300 feet away. Uses RF (radio frequency) NOT IR (infrared radiation) energy
Full Text Set Up/Display - Configure functions to meet your personal preferences via our full text setup menu.
Chirp Signal Function - When locking and unlocking the car, if desired the horn sounds briefly.
Comfort Window Open/Close - One touch opening/closing of all windows via quick double tap on the top switch.
Home Light - remotely activate the headlights for 30 seconds.
Open/Close While Driving - Speed programmable up to 38 mph you can open and close your top while moving or driving.
Passive/Invisible Mode - Turn the whole module off with an easy key sequence.
Separate Window Control - Raise and lower the windows separately by remote without activating the top.
Hazard Signals - Optionally the hazard and blinkers are activated while the top is operated from the remote.
USB Port - This module can be updated using any Windows PC/Laptop with internet connection.
One Touch Operation - 'One Touch' convertible top operation allows your top to open or close automatically with one touch of a button.
Reversible Plug Installation - Remove any time allowing sale or return of a leased vehicle in its original condition.
Top Convenience Mode - Turning the ignition on or off does not interrupt convertible top operation.
Automatic Door Locks - Set power locks to automatically lock and unlock the doors when you drive.

among others.

You're in Floriduh. Sudden showers.....oh wait, you have to stop to put your top up. Look at the 1st short video in the thread above if you haven't

·
Registered
57 Posts
did i understand right ? from the factory you can open the top from outside 5 feet away ? how ?? i didn't know this was even possible

·
Registered
52 Posts
did i understand right ? from the factory you can open the top from outside 5 feet away ? how ?? i didn't know this was even possible
On my data card, I think it is: 880 - Closing system with infrared remote control.

My SLK door handles have a little IR window. I can stand beside the door and open/close the top.

·
95,062 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts