Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1961 - 1980 of 2027 Posts

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,962 ·
Well that's the Steering all back together, box bled, no leaks so far :p

As with everything it has taken longer than anticipated for several reasons .....................

I thought the Engine looked nice and clean and oil free, compared to everything else, and now I know why, it has had a good used Engine from a later TD5 fitted ..................

Great, so I got a Engine with lower miles than the car, brilliant ................ Except the eejit that fitted it decided he knows better than Land Rover and left out a load of P Clip bolts that secure stuff like Heater Pipes, Trans Cooler Pipes, PAS pipes etc, so I had to digress and cut down a load of 25mm long M6 Bolts and refit all the missing ones ..................

I suppose I'd rather find that now than when a Pipe fatigues or chafes on a long journey far far away ;)

So on with the Steering Box, fill and bleed before moving on to fitting the new Drag Link and Steering Damper, so I strip the new stuff down and copperslip all the threads then fit the Drag Link, and when I come to the final bit (Steering Damper) at this point I find that the pillock who picked my parts order has sent me a LHD Drag Link ....................

Now I am stuffed, because when I stripped it all down yesterday I cut the Adjusting Ball Joint pin (left side) as it's nut was seized, and the pin was now spinning, so couldn't undo it anymore, what the hell, I was replacing it anyways, so I cut the pin thread to remove it in 30 seconds flat ;)

So what I had to do next was use heat to get that end free and out of the original Drag Link Rod, so I can now copperslip the thread and use the Adjustable Ball Joint end from the new (wrong) Drag Link ................

Hence I can't send it back but will be expecting a part refund when I phone the suppliers on Monday ;)

So Steering Wheel was left locked straight and the Steering Box was locked straight when sliding on the Column Coupling, which means they are centred correctly .................... That means apart from Zeroing the front wheels track so the Steering Box will be bang on centered when the Car drives up the road, (that's the purpose of the fancy smancy adjustable joint I mentioned earlier), will do that on a test drive, it is eyeballed pretty damned close ;)

So change of plan for the rest of my long weekend ...............

Tomorrow I will do the Rear Brakes, and smaller jobs, I will leave the left and right ends of the front axle until next weekend, front brakes are working fine with good discs / pads for now.
The right CV boot only has a tiny split, and the Axle oil leak on the left Driveshaft isn't that bad.

The Steering Box pouring Oil out and the seized right rear Brake were the most serious issues, so accordingly I will do the Rear Brakes tomorrow, and Monday I can tackle smaller jobs, like there is left rear and right front Mudflap brackets that need replacing, Bump Stops, etc etc. I can also fit small jobs in each day when customer work is going on :)

Pixels :-

The LHD (wrong) Drag Link Bar ....

Old Drag Link fitted with the left side Zeroing Adjuster pieces from the LHD unit ....

Drag Link final fitted and new Terrafirma Steering Damper ....

Rear Brakes it is tomorrow then :)

I think we're Chineseing for grub tonight :) :) :)

·
*Registered
Looking for an SLK
211 Posts
I think we're Chineseing for grub tonight :) :) :)
Eeeeeeeeey, chinese tourist aren't welcome during the pandemic, but chinese food is very welcome in your stomach?

Davey, davey, this is what we call a hypocrite.

Luckily for you, so am I! I don't like my own people, but I like the food. (I'm not Chinese for the peanut gallery here)

·
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,964 ·
I've always said I have no problem with Italian, Indian and Chinese etc etc if they own a decent restaurant / take away ..............

Hypocrite ................ The Hell Yeah :p :p :p

·
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,965 ·
Well .........................

I told y'all it needed rear Brakes, and that I though a Pad had delaminated the other night when I reversed it up the drive, check this :censored emoji: out ....

🤣 🤣 🤣

Took the liberty of fitting the new Fuel Filter whilst the right rear Wheel is off ....

Ready to install the new Caliper, Discs, Pads and all new Bolts after Coffee ....

I also dun a slight faux pas, I should have had it slightly further back on the lift, because I need to do a Half-shaft Oil Seal on the left side of the rear Axle, and because the workshop wall is tight on the left I normally open the Window and draw the Shaft out, so later on I will have to turn the old girl round, no biggie really, just means I have to take the Wheels off twice on the left side ;)

See wot I mean, Axle is further forward than the bloody window, there's enough room there for normal stuff like doing Brakes and rear Suspension jobs ....

All together now "AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW" :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,967 ·
When I first moved here and built the Workshop I had a Discovery 1 300 TDI that needed a rear Seal, and I wasn't gonna do it on the gravel outside, so I deliberately put that window there, but in my defence, I hadn't noticed that the left rear Seal was weeping on this Discovery or I'd have sat it further back on the lift ;)

·
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,969 · (Edited)
OK, so once the Disc was off I looked in detail at that left rear Oil leak, turned out it wasn't the Seal at all ........................

Don't I just love numpty mechanics :ROFLMAO:
Some moron has recently fitted an ABS Sensor, which is on the Oil Side of the Wheel Bearing, but wot said sphincter hadn't noticed woz the O Ring that stops Oil getting out was missing 🤣
5 minutes in my O Ring rummage box and that's that fixed ;) So I fitted the rear Brakes without needing to turn the Disco round ;)

The same eejit mechanic had replaced those rear Brakes too, I reckon this was all done for it's last MOT, but what the burke failed to do was change that right rear Caliper, if you look at the pic below you can see that the left side Brake was nowhere near as clapped out, pads actually look quite recent ;)

The Brakes on the front were stopping the Car OK, and Discs and Pads look good, so what I'm going to do there is check that the 4 Pot Calipers are free, and if there's any sticky Pistons I'll get Calipers in the week, if not I'll leave them until they are worn out and keep my new Mintex Discs Pads etc in stock for when the time comes :) There are plenty of other jobs to do, without changing stuff unnecessarily ;)

So, off to check those front Calipers after a late lunch ;)

Rear Brakes Pixels :-

Old left side ....

All the old scrap ....

New left side and then the right with the wheel on ....

L8rs :)

·
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,970 · (Edited)
Close of play last night saw me finished with front Brakes for a few thousand miles now, the Calipers are grotty, Pistons weren't seized but each Caliper had one slightly sticky, so I removed the Calipers, stripped 'em down cleaned up the Pistons and reassembled them, refitted and bled. Copperslipped Sliders and Carriers they will be fine for a while now :).

So this morning I ordered 2 new Calipers to go on the shelf with the new front Brakes Discs Pads, Sliders Bolts etc etc for when the existing fronts need doing ;)

Took the car out for a test run and zeroed in the Steering, drives much better, still got a slight notch when travelling straight ahead, which kinda makes the driver / car wander left to right when on a straight road, a slight corner and it is planted ..........

Not sure on that yet, could either be a tight spot on one of the column UJ's or perhaps summat else, I couldn't find any more play in anything, gonna have to get an assistant again, and get them to just rock the Steering Wheel really gently in the straight ahead position IDK right now, but I've owned enough Landy's and Rangeys to know it isn't quite right :unsure: It is also extremely annoying too :mad:

Some of the goodies arrived today ...........................

LED Light Bar and rear Work Lamp ....

Clear rear Indicators for the Bumper, clear Indicator side Repeaters and clear front Indicator lenses, well all except the elusive left front one that I had to get from a different source because none of the usual Land Rover suspects had one, hopefully that one will turn up tomorrow ;) ....

Found 2 more jobs like ya do when you're getting to know an older vehicle ;)

First one, after the road test, car was Idling on the lift whilst I checked the Steering Box for leaks (all good), checked the torque on all the bolts etc etc and whilst finally doing up the Lock Tab on the Drop Arm Nut I felt a drip drip on my arm, yeah, it's coolant, looks like a very very slight leak in the Radiator :( Better to find out now I guess than on a long journey somewhere, so I'd best be finding a Radiator for it before heading off to Shreks Swamp (far far away) ;)

Also, ya know I said it didn't need any welding, has all been done ..................... Yeah Yeah, I was wrong, thankfully it is a very easy to get at piece of Chassis, obviously whomever did the MOT missed it, as did I and my Tester mate who looked at it the other day, gonna do that in a little while after another late lunch ;)

Thankfully nothing anywhere near as involved as the Silver R170 V6 HE, just a square plate on the inside rail of the Chassis :rolleyes:
I have since scraped all the crud off it and bashed and poked some more and not found any more holes, yet :ROFLMAO:

Better go find a Radiator then ;)

TTFN :)

·
*Premium Member
1999 SLK230 turbo
783 Posts
Dave new toy in about 2 months...
maxresdefault (5).jpg
who could imagine Dave doing such a thing? 😉
You been keeping yourself super busy man good to see love reading through this thread for the updates, it's fun when you throw a curve ball like a TD5 it'll make a fine work horse. Although I'm not a fan of LR I think we can all agree on the MLs off-road capabilities being very similar to an Slk 🤣. Have fun playing Dave 👍😉.

·
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,972 ·
Having had a gaggle of different ML's in over the last few months, W163 W164 etc I can honestly say, yes I did want one, before I saw a few and drove them, found out how unreliable they are etc, and also how expensive the parts are ........................

ML = Chelsea Tractor ;)

Back to my trusty Land Rovers I'm sorry to say ;)

Apart from G Wagon, (way outta my price range), I don't think MB make a decent 4x4 that won't always be in a shop being fixed ;)

OEM Radiator £90.00 delivered

How much is an ML Radiator ???????????????? Lemme guess :ROFLMAO:

I haven't ordered a Rad yet, I want to make certain it isn't a hose joint as there is a lotta pipes under that area where I was yanking about to do the Steering Box ;)

·
*Premium Member
1999 SLK230 turbo
783 Posts
Having had a gaggle of different ML's in over the last few months, W163 W164 etc I can honestly say, yes I did want one, before I saw a few and drove them, found out how unreliable they are etc, and also how expensive the parts are ........................

ML = Chelsea Tractor ;)

Back to my trusty Land Rovers I'm sorry to say ;)

Apart from G Wagon, (way outta my price range), I don't think MB make a decent 4x4 that won't always be in a shop being fixed ;)

OEM Radiator £90.00 delivered

How much is an ML Radiator ???????????????? Lemme guess :ROFLMAO:

I haven't ordered a Rad yet, I want to make certain it isn't a hose joint as there is a lotta pipes under that area where I was yanking about to do the Steering Box ;)
I honestly don't know how Mercedes got the ML so wrong, I mean come one Mercedes are known for one of the best off road vehicles of all time...Unimog then we have the G wagon as you say Dave hellishly expensive for even an 80s one now, it's like Mercedes rushed to challenge the X5 but even the X5 is better off road 🤣. Yeah I said it I await the abuse 😂🤣😂🤣.

I was going to buy a discovery myself, I personally hate the defender with a passion but the disco is a nice capable semi comfortable in-between of both the defender and range rover. Only with actual reliability 😉, the abundance of parts makes doing them up and maintaining them a lot more affordable and easier. Next on the list OM606 swap 😉, there we go Dave just say the gears turning in your mind. Diesel pump UK can give you ideas on that 😂.

Ok ok I'll stop for now can't be too much of a bad influence on you. Like I say will make a fine work horse and on days where wheel drive is an issue you can still venture out into the wilderness to forage 👍

·
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,975 ·
I had a load of customers work in today, but managed to get my rotten piece of Disco's Chassis cut out and rebuilt with a single piece cut from 2.5mm sheet :)
:)

I guess I got my SLK World "Heavy Duty Welding Badge" now, 'twas nice to be welding proper thick Steel to proper thick Chassis, no blowing holes every 2" or so and a darned sight easier to get at than the Silver V6 HE :D :D :D .............

Well I'm pleased with it anyhow, and I kept the template in case I need to do the right side next year, but ATM that seems a lot more solid, couldn't bash any holes in it
;)

Pixels ....

Grub Up ................................

·
*Premium Member
1999 SLK230 turbo
783 Posts
I had a load of customers work in today, but managed to get my rotten piece of Disco's Chassis cut out and rebuilt with a single piece cut from 2.5mm sheet :)

I guess I got my SLK World "Heavy Duty Welding Badge" now, 'twas nice to be welding proper thick Steel to proper thick Chassis, no blowing holes every 2" or so and a darned sight easier to get at than the Silver V6 HE :D :D :D .............

Well I'm pleased with it anyhow, and I kept the template in case I need to do the right side next year, but ATM that seems a lot more solid, couldn't bash any holes in it
;)

Pixels ....

Nice job Dave 👍 good thinking on keeping the template coming along nicely mate 😃

·
* Premium Member
35,589 Posts
Not the only badge you have got lately. ;)

·
**Premium Member 2014 SLK200
3,417 Posts

;)

Pixels ....

HMS Queen Elizabeth comes to mind ⚓ ⚓

·
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,980 ·
Sadly I did no Vehicle work at all today, I had forgotten (even though it was written in my Diary), due to pylon maintenance our Electricity was scheduled to be cut for the day, it went off at 9am and only just came back on 16:50 pm

I should get all day tomorrow and Friday on Disco, Saturday Mel wants to go to Inverness, So back tuit again on Sunday, hopefully I will have all parts by then ;)

That coolant drip drip was weird, it hasn't done it since, and Rads seldom decide to repair themselves, they usually get worse ;)
It was idling for a long while up in the Air after a long hard thrash, what I can see of the Radiator looks perfect ...............

Level was fine, after drip drip .................

I have a theory ................

The Pressure Cap Overflow Pipe exit is right above the right hand Chassis Rail, which heads "down hill" to the front Chassis Cross-member which is behind Bumper under the Radiator right where it was dripping from, my lift always lifts with the Cars slightly tilted to the left ...................

Having topped up all levels just recently, perhaps it just spat a little Coolant out of the Overflow Pipe ??????????????????

Here's Hoping, I will Monitor and will Repair if necessary ;)

Beer and maybe Hot Tub Time, (if it hasn't cooled down too much in 7.75 hours without leccy) ;)

1961 - 1980 of 2027 Posts