Mercedes SLK World banner

141 - 160 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #141 (Edited)
Hi Aaron @Turdo2 ,

I wouldn't bet that it won't lock after 40 Starts, unless you do the XProg steps, however, I haven't done it and didn't watch all of that guys steps as it was of no real interest to me, there is too much ME2.8 Data floating around in my skull atm :wink:

All M112 V6 SLK's have Electronic Pedal, same as S500, not under hood pot.

(again haven't checked this next statement), but I'd bet the ME 2.8 would be happy with the Throttle Pots resistances ............ dunno ;)

There was a very good reason I chose a V6 M112 R170 Car, and also a V8 M113 W220 Car for my donor >:D

I am going to be using the Black 200 mph Cluster, I'll bet that one will have a different 4th coding in it :wink:
Same Tooth Count on ABS R170 / SRT-6 so guessing it must have :grin:

Once the Cluster is Logo'd I will get it in the Car and test it, 3000 rpm should = 80 mph right now :grin:

I've already done the Rev Counter Overlay swap from the old 160 mph Crossfire Cluster to get rid of SRT-6 Logo, The Lens and Black / Silver Ring Overlay Cover aren't clipped back yet, still waiting for the BRABUS and SLK 5.0 logos from the Graphics Guy, see pic below @M4rCu5 ...............

Cheers for now, Dave

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
Hi @Dave2302

I see what you've done there and that works well, very creative that is :tu:
In fact, there's no reason why you can't have white faces on the outers and the black face in the middle >:D lol
It's certainly handy having two (or three) spares ..

What's next then? little Mercedes logos on the needle centres? :surprise:

Fluorescent green needles? you know you want to .. nah, can't be done :grin:

EDIT: @Dave2302

I know you don't like a cluttered thread so I'll put this here for you - this is to scale with logos at 30mm x 4.8mm @ 10% black :p

Attachments

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Hi @M4rCu5 ,

Oh yes it can be done ................

However, it wont be >:D

It will have the "BRABUS" where the SRT-6 used to be, and diagonally opposite at bottom of Fuel and Temp Gauges "SLK 5.0"

:p

Moving on to the subject of Diffs .............

I had a very "NW Highlands grotty underneath" early model C Class W203 CDI in for a couple Rear Shocks this morning, so I photo'd the Subframe and Diff ..............

Now this one is a little different to the Facelift W203 Cars, the 2 rear Diff Mounts are (IIRC) exactly the same as R170, also Push Fit CV's, but the early W203 cars have 2.87 Ratio so no good :wink:

The 2.82 one I have ordered has wider Rear Mount Bushes on the Rear Diff Cover, the left one is offset further left ........................

So yes I will need to swap the Diff Cover with the R170 one, but the 2.82 Facelift CDI Diff is identical otherwise :grin:

Early Pre Facelift W203 2.87 ..............

Later Post Facelift W203 2.82, the Red Tag is where the Left Mount is, Cover is different, but I'm pretty sure the Bolt Pattern is the same ;) otherwise I'll have to re case it :( ...............

More soon,

Cheers for now, Dave

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Hi @M4rCu5 ,

Yo da man, :grin:

Your pic 2 ...............

That's exactly what I want, (almost) ............... I might try the SLK 5.0 in non italic to see, so I'll get vinyl man to cut both if needs be :wink: ..............

Any chance of a pic of the above with the SLK 5.0 non italic ?????? :x

BTW, I just had to buy a pair of these, (Brabus Logo) to see if they are decent enough to install in the SLK Door Trims >:D ..............

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-Benz-Car-Door-LED-Courtesy-Light-Puddle-Laser-LOGO-Projector-A-E-C-GLA/372749940905?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=20131003132420&meid=78d1536d5a7a4948a8eb5583a959cd1a&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=12&sd=153148866013&itm=372749940905&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

BIG CHEERS :Beer:

Dave

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Hi @M4rCu5 ,

Even bigger cheers :Beer: :Beer: :Beer:

Yep dis am da one in 200 mph version :-

Many Thanks that's my Cluster final draught, I just gotta get them cut and stuck on dead straight and central :grin:

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #146 (Edited)
Another tiny update :wink:

I just scored another Fleabay Diff, it's the earlier W203 CDI (2003 2.65), they are obviously a lot more common or the guy has had it a while / it whines / knackered / whatever IDC ..............

Buuuuut it has identical casing casting to the later W203 CDI (2006 2.82) diff I just bought to use when the V8 is in, but this one has the correct Rear Cover to fit the R170 mounts, so I can actually keep the V6 3.27 Diff that's in my SLK in one piece ...............

For the princely sum of £40.00 inc postage >:D

Cheers for now, Dave

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Bloody Diffs :frown:

I've got all the Electronics 99.9999999r % sorted, (it's never 100% until the Key is turned and it runs and drives fine), but I'm very confident :wink:

So what could be difficult about a simple diff swap GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR !!
Mercedes have definitely done this SH 1 T deliberately ............. Parts don't swap, CW & Pinions don't swap etc etc etc :soap:

Bejayzus, when I built the Rally Car (Ford) bits, Gears Swapped over, LSD's, Casing Covers, Prop Flanges, Axle Shaft Flanges etc etc etc :wink:

I hate MB Diffs :frown: :frown: :frown:

Ahh well, OK so that Rear Cover swap won't work, the £40 Diff looks identical in EBay pics but is slightly smaller width / height IRL so that Cover doesn't fit. It is also a 2.65 Ratio, so likely a definite issue with TCU Codings Paaaahhhhh :mad:

I can relatively easily get the 2006 C Class 2.82 Diff to fit the R170 Subframe with a little rework of it's own Cover, by ally welding the Left Mount boss on, I've already modded it, (see pics) ..............
Just got to get the mount boss welded at my mates, he's a far better Ally Welder than I am :wink:
It's gotta be a strong weld :| ............ He builds Ally Boats for a living, has done all his life !! .............

Buuuuutttttt that's not the end of it, the C Class diff has a slightly larger PCD for the Rubber Prop Coupling Doughnut's bolts, flanges don't swap as the Diff Pinion is larger shaft / splines, so for that same reason, the CW & Pinion won't fit in an R170 Casing, or the 2.65 Diffs Casing :( :( :(

So now I would need to get a rear end of C Class Prop and the Rubber Doughnut Coupling, and likely have to weld the end Yoke piece into the SLK Prop !!

OK, I can and have done these properly in the past, so no real biggie there, and OK, worth that for the upgrade / strength etc, then it will bolt into the Car and hook up to the Propshaft ...............

Excepppptttt ........... The SLK Driveshaft Axles will then not have enough room to plunge as the diff is 5/8" wider overall, so now I need different Driveshaft / Axles maybe even custom ones, for which I do not have the Technology to do in house :(

I am going to need to get Mels 2006 C Class W203 (same 2.82 diff), on the lift at the weekend to measure it's Driveshafts, this is rapidly becoming a PITA and I doubt I'll be using either Diff I have :crying:

I now know that there are at least 7 different sizes / designs of Diffs used for MB's of this period, and really, I have got to use the 2.82 Diff to match Codings within the S Classes V8 EGS52 TCU !!

What I need is an expert in MB Diffs, but fact is I think they are so reliable, not many folk rebuild enough of 'em to know all about what interchanges with what :(

I don't recall ever rebuilding one when we had the Transmission Firm.

I have been told if I retain the standard R170 3.27 Diff and Trans / TCU combo it will run and drive ok, but will go into Trans limp near to full throttle, because of Torque Limits in ME Coding and TCU Coding ..................... It is not possible for me to alter this Ratio Coding in TCU at the moment :(

But anyways the Car will likely be much better with a 2.82 Diff Ratio, for a start it will only shift once from 0-60 instead of twice, and also have 2500 rpm @ 80 mph rather than 3000 rpm !!

Also in UK anything MB and 5.4 liter M113 is almost non existent, I have had no luck searching for used CLK 55 bits like @Turdo2 , Aaron used, but TBH I'd now not rule out the possibility that my Post Facelift V6's Rear End will be different to his anyway !!

I have now found another cheap diff, 2.87 Ratio, (close enough for my goals), which is alledgedly absolutely identical to R170 Unit, so I have bought that ..............

An early Pre Facelift C Class CDI ..............

It has Identical Rear Cover Mounts and bolt pattern to my R170 Diff CHECK

It should fit Prop Doughnut, and Driveshafts should be ok assuming the guy measured acrossways the Seals OK .................... CHECK ????????

It uses "Push Fit" Type Axle Shafts CHECK

We'll see when it arrives :biglaugh:

The upside of this is I retain more Standard components rather than 1 offs, (Driveshaft Axles, Prop, Prop Doughnut, and an un modded Rear Cover), so no issues with spares later on !!

Should arrive early next week !!

Now there is one issue with this as discussed before, it is not a stock Ratio used on a V8 Tranny, so I now have taken yet another punt with this latest Diff purchase, one of 3 things could happen here ..................

1) The TCU will not throw a limp and ratio error because it is soooo close to the V8's standard 2.82 (I'll not hold my breath on that one) lol

2) That guy I spoke of a few pages back will do me a custom coded TCU for 2.87 Diff in an otherwise stock V8 EGS 52 TCU (if he will actually reply to my recent Email asking him if he will do it for ££££ and I'll post him a TCU) :|

3) I have 3 Diffs that don't fit and will have to revert to the 2.82 with all the non standard bits, etc, which I really don't wanna do :frown:

Anyone else got any other suggestions ??????????????????????????

Cheers for now Dave

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
@Dave2302

This sounds like a real pita :(

How viable would it be to keep the stock axle/diff and get a machine shop to custom make a new CW & pinion with a 2.82 ratio?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Hi @M4rCu5 ,

I looked at this a few years ago when I built the Stage Rally Car, wanted custom Gearset for the 2 4x4 Diffs F&R ...................

£1000's .............. Not gonna happen ;)

I think the problem is solved ................

Some good news I hope re the TCU ....................

Regarding the Torque Limiter :-

Standard 3.2 V6 Engine develops 225 Nm, and it's TCU is limited to 330 Nm
Standard 5.0 V8 Engine develops 460 Nm, and it's TCU is limited to 580 Nm ............. The V8 and V12 Trans's have identical Ratios, stronger 4 Pinion Gearsets and extra Friction Plates etc, they can actually handle something like 800Nm + :grin:

The V8 is getting decent flowing Exhaust with just 2 x performance CAT's and SDS Ignition Timing and Fuelling optimisation work pretty much right after it's in and running OK :grin:

I shouldn't get an issue testing / driving the V8 with V6 Trans combo until quite hard on the jazz pedal, at which point i understand that it will go into limp or neutral ;) ??????? ..............
I think Aaron, @Turdo2, may be able to confirm or refute this ??

I have now found another guy in Europe who can "remap" Custom Codings for EGS 52, including Raise / Delete Torque Limiter and Change Diff Ratio.
Spoke with him for ages yesterday ..............

I'm posting him a spare V8 TCU this morning to do both, as I just know the V8 will get remapped eventually, so lets not have excess torque issues further down the line :grin:

200 Euros ................ Which considering he's the only guy I could find that can do it isn't too bad, I just hope that the latest Diff is gonna go straight in the Car, but it certainly looks absolutely identical to the one in the Car, and so assuming the seller has measured stuff correctly as I asked, it seems to be all identical except it is 2.87 Ratio as opposed to the V6's 3.27 :)

Here is pics of it, note Breather on the Back just like V6 R170, 6 bolts in bottom half of Rear Cover just like V6 R170, and seller has said the Flange Bolt PCD and width of casing across Axle Shaft Seals matches my Cars Diff :wink:

I'll let ya know how I get on with Custom TCU, but likely be a while yet, (Jan Feb 2020), until the V8 Trans and the new Diff get fitted as I'm going to run the V8 with the V6 Trans / V6 Diff / V6 TCU for a while first, then if there is any issues with Coding I know it will only be in the ME2.8 :wink:

Once that's settled, cue the V8 Trans / 2.87 Diff / Custom Coded TCU, then if there are any issues it will only be TCU related >:D

Cheers for now, Dave

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I only had mine pop into neutral once. It was in the middle of second gear.. I think it was back when mine was a 4.3L.

most of the time it would just limp-home into 3rd.

You can run any gear set you want, just dont let it shift past 3rd!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Hi again,

Small update,

The spare EGS 52 module is winging it's way to Austria for Diff Ratio and Torque Limiter Re Coding >:D

Santa came this morning, well actually the Postie in his Red Van lol .......................

The 2.87 Diff, which certainly looks like it will go straight into the R170 without touching / altering anything else, my SLK will be in da building on da lift tomorrow for some super accurate measuring :grin:

Also, all the way from a great guy in the USA .....................

The "D Enable" Module

Basically, this disables my Paddle Shifters when in P R or N Selector Positions, well actually to be more accurate it Enables them only when the Selector is in 'D' position.

Paddles have been working fine since I fitted and wired the Steering Wheel a way back, but, if I accidentally hit a Paddle whilst the Selector was in P, R or N it would put the Trans into limp with a Shifter Implausible Code, requiring switch off Engine & Restart, so this little beastie will stop that happening :grin:

A big thanks to the Paddle Shifter Guru on here :wink: :tu:

I will be installing it when I fit the Green Illum Switches etc, maybe tomorrow if I get time :)

Cheers for now, Dave

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Just a small update,

Confirmation of a few bitties .................

V6 EGS 52 is definitely looking at the same Data and definitely Communicates with ABS / ESP, it is recieving and using average Data from Wheel Speed Sensors, which is how it will know if Diff Ratio is wrongly coded, it will be comparing Wheel Speed to Trans Output Speed ;)

The Data info in the Pics confirms 99.9 % that the 2 units will swap over and work fine, once the W220 unit is re coded to 2.87 Diff.

Below Pictures are Screens of W220 V8 Data pic 1&2, and 3 & 4 are from the R170 V6 Data :-

I also measured the Diff Casing Widths, Prop Flange Dimensions and Casing sizes, and I put the "New" 2.87 Diff up under the R170 exactly in line with the Cars existing 3.27 Diff ......................

Pleased to report that it will all fit without any other Mods, so the Diff issue has now been resolved, quite simply by using the Earlier W203 CDI Diff and a custom Ratio Coding in the EGS 52 TCU.

The 2 Diffs are obviously from exactly the same family, unlike the other 2 I got ;)

Pic is not that clear, but you can see some of the identical details from the pic :-

So, looks like I am almost ready to start pulling the V8 W220 apart once I've got some other jobs sorted out.

The only 2 things left to purchase will be a decent Rear Silencer, and decide upon a suitable Cooling Fan unit, (or modify the V6 R170 unit) into a slimline Shroud, and that can't be done until the Motor is in the Car, unless someone like Aaron, @Turdo2 , can tell me for sure what that un helpful "Osterle" mob used in the R170 ;)

Cheers Dave

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
No idea what Osterle used as they never actually gave anybody any detailed information on the car. It would be nice to track the car down sometime.

If you look through my thread, I slimmed down my stock fan. gained around 2.5 inches.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Thanks Aaron, @Turdo2 ,

I remember reading that, and I'm going to look at that option first, once I know exactly what dimensions I need to achieve which will of course only be when the V8 is sat in my Car :wink:

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Hi Aaron @Turdo2 ,

Would that be a W208 ??

I can likely get one in UK there is a few of them about ;)

Yes Osterle say they will only do R170 / Crossfire FROM M112 to M113, don't do 4 Cylinder Cars ;)

Cheers Dave

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Hi Aaron @Turdo2 ,

Would that be a W208 ??

I can likely get one in UK there is a few of them about ;)

Yes Osterle say they will only do R170 / Crossfire FROM M112 to M113, don't do 4 Cylinder Cars ;)

Cheers Dave
Wimps!!!

yes, W208. I Will be putting mine on as soon as it's back to ME2.0... as my current crank trigger hits the mechanical fan currently. Honestly, I have not had a scenario where the mechanical fan was needed.. just additional safety factor I suppose.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Wimps!!!

yes, W208. I Will be putting mine on as soon as it's back to ME2.0... as my current crank trigger hits the mechanical fan currently. Honestly, I have not had a scenario where the mechanical fan was needed.. just additional safety factor I suppose.
Hi Aaron,

So are you saying the W208 CLK has a Mech Fan or does it have Mech and Electric at the front perhaps ??

I'd rather use an Electric via the ME2.8 if at all possible / perhaps / maybe lol ;)

Regarding the project Car ................

I have hit a "slight" snag, lol >:D ................

This is why I never say something is 100% until it's started and running properly, however I am very close now, and have had the lightbulb moment last night since first posting some of this in another thread after 2 days of big headaches studying Wiring Diagrams and working on the problem ................

There is a problem with my Clone ECU, although Drive Auth says yes, "Start Enabled" for some reason oh no it bloody doesn't :(

Doesn't Crank on Key, and if I jump starter solenoid with Ign On she doesn't fire. Fuel Pump runs as it should for a period upon Ign On, then stops as it should :)

As some of you know I cloned an EBay V8 ECU a way back, plugged it into my R170 and checked the Drive Auth back then, yep "Start Enabled" and it is still reporting "Start Enabled" etc etc ...................

That was as far as I went as I didn't want to try and start the V6 on a V8 ECU in case it backfired or some-such and buggered MAF, Throttle Body or something else on the Car, then I wouldn't be able to use it over the summer until I'd fixed whatever :(

On Monday and with Winter coming, I got brave after I had the brain wave to reset the clones Version Coding in SDS Developer, (just one single Coding for Engine Fitted) :)

So I reset it to V6 3.2 Engine, then once I get it to start the V6 I know 99 % that by changing that single Coding to V8 5.0 Engine it will run the V8 OK :grin:

So with my V8 Cloned ECU set to "E32" (M112 V6) Engine I tried it, :crying: :crying: :crying:

It won't Crank the Car and it doesn't start it :| Bummer !!

I gotta get this resolved before pulling the Engine out of the R170, right now the project is stalled and dead in the water :crying:

BTW, you can't see it in the pics, but the ECU is also reporting the R170's VIN Correctly in SDS DAS Screen at top right !!

But after 2 days of head scratching, re dumping the V6 ME 2.8 and re flashing the V8 ME 2.8 I'm leaning towards the EBay ECU I got way back is no good, have bought 2 more to try, I think this one has a duff driver in it :(

It simply does not make any sense whatsoever !!

Thing is this, when on SDS it is reporting a lot of data correctly and I can do all the component tests with "Actuations" (ones that don't require running engine), and things like Cooling Fan, Can Purge Solenoid, Air Pump, Fuel Pump etc all work perfectly. It is reporting no fault codes either :rolleyes:

It has to be a faulty ECU ............... He says praying :wink:

Pix from Clone ECU yesterday ...............

See how it says Start Enabled and No Faults flagged, I think it is not driving the Starter, Coil and Injector Circuits from some FUBAR SMD Component inside it ..............

Ho Hum, waiting on postie to bring more ECU Fodder lol

Edit since last night ...............

OK so more thought and something I need to check, some ME2.8 ECU's will not flash without 3 positives supplied, some only need 2 positives, I always flash with the 3 connected, it always works then !!

But ............. What if the W220 has to have the same 3 on the Car, and the R170 only has 2 on it's Car Wiring, that would make a difference and could easily cause this problem ................. maybe lol

I'm out most of the day, shopping for Building Materials, (another project on the go right now) ..................

I will try and at least look at that particular Wiring Pin on both Cars later today / weekend .............. "Light Bulb Moment" over and out !!
:grin:

I need to get some more serious time on the 2 Cars but will likely be a couple of weeks or so now due to the building project ...................
I'm currently building another Garage to keep my 2 babies in (SLK and S Class), the Winters here are hard with salty rain, high winds and leaves which don't do the Cars any good, and I am not prepared to leave them out for another winter :wink:

Also due to the 6m x 4.8m size of it, it can be equipped and double up as a really decent Paint-shop booth later on :) I already have a 4" thick Concrete Base, and it has Mains Water, Electricity and Drainage to Septic Tank for a toilet / sink :)

Cheers for now, Dave

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
Not familiar with r170 but on r171 the engine ecu has to virginized ( das can not do this )Avdi, vvdi, cgdi can, or write a virgin dump directly on ecu EEPROM with an EEPROM programmer. Then online initial start up, personalization and scn.

141 - 160 of 226 Posts