Mercedes SLK World banner

1481 - 1500 of 1576 Posts

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
2,761 Posts
Be easier if you started with a SLK32 base. All the extra bits for the supercharger, intercooler, secondary air pump relocation and et al is already done for you.

Last I checked, secondary air pump for any of the supercharged 112/113 cost $600 before markup. You have one lying around? 😳
The major problem there is that we only ever had 263 RHD '32's imported to the UK to start with..

·
Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,482 ·
we only ever had 263 RHD '32's imported to the UK to start with..
And I'm not gonna get lynched by the purists on this Forum by breaking one up :D :D :D

Mind, I would if I had to :p :p :p

Van going well I had a Strut and Top Mount in stock from when I did the left side a couple years ago so changed the whole lot :) ....

Oil, Oil Filter Fuel and Air Filters after Coffee :)

·
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,485 ·
Don't get too excited 🤣 I don't know if it will get converted yet, depends what it's like structurally ;)

I've bought the car initially as a Testing Mule for the 7 G Tronic conversion, but knowing myself well, I do hate breaking a Car if I can save it ;)

·
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,488 ·
TBH from what I've been told so far, the Crossfire M113 K isn't light years away from the 5.0 n/a, yes, obviously it's quicker .................

It is a very cool car, as far as I can see the issue being physically getting all that grunt onto the Tarmac, I suspect R170 would need tubbing and bigger very very sticky Tyres to make the most of it, maybe the Crossfire takes bigger Tyres without tubbing ?

I'll have to speak with Andrew soon, haven't heard from him in a while ;)

·
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,490 ·
and 9 x 19" et22 rears ..
That's why Andrews 1/4 mile times are so low, he's likely running either 19 or 20's with decent wide rubber, my SLK won't take any more than the 255's without Tubbing ;)

I will look at the feasibility of Tubbing it when I do my new rear Arches, if it will work with the Roof Mechanism I'll do the Tubs then :)

He's definitely running a Wavetrac btw ;)

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
1,726 Posts
That's why Andrews 1/4 mile times are so low, he's likely running either 19 or 20's with decent wide rubber, my SLK won't take any more than the 255's without Tubbing ;)

I will look at the feasibility of Tubbing it when I do my new rear Arches, if it will work with the Roof Mechanism I'll do the Tubs then :)

He's definitely running a Wavetrac btw ;)
He probably also has a bloke my size chopped up and in bags in the boot.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
59 Posts
my SLK won't take any more than the 255's without Tubbing
Just looking on the Crossfire forums..
there's talk of folk running 20" rears with 285/ 30/20's..:oops:
Maybe some judicious rolling of the rear arches on the SLK ?. There's probably a reason why the Crossfire has a ragtop rather than the vario-roof.🤨

·
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,493 ·
(y) (y) (y)

Last minute change of plan . com ...........................

I can't take my Van as I double checked, and an SLK and the Trailer will be over max towing weight for the bloomin Van 😭

So a local buddy from Isle of Skye now has my Van to drive around in luxury :ROFLMAO: for the weekend, and I got his 29k mile V6 Touareg :D :D :D ....

This thing hauls ass (y) ....

Likes a drop of Diesel mind, as I found out on the drive from Portree to mine, (around 60 miles) 🤣

So I'll be toddling off to Englandshire in the early hours :)

·
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,494 ·
Been there got that, it's here on the lift, I got back around 4pm :) ....

It will certainly do for the 7 G R&D, lot of welding on the ass end if I was gonna do anything else with it, Inner and outer rear sill sections, rear jacking points etc plus rear 1/4 Panels and Inner Wheel Arc bits, likely easier to buy another Body Tub off a breakers.

However a lot of very useful parts on it, I've now got the correct front bumper to go on mine, which has the Headlamp Washer Flaps etc, have been looking for one of those for ages, but HCS was a rare option on a facelift car, I've already fitted everything else to the V8 except the Jets which are in my loft :)

I will be AWOL again tomorrow as I gotta take Big Don's Car back and get ma Van, plus a few other jobs ;)

The Touareg ate more Diesel thirsty wotsit so it was ;)

·
1,726 Posts
I am only up to page 3 of your thread so far, but it looks awesome. I totally agree on the carbon fiber looking better than wood trim for this car too. I just got my SLK a few days before Christmas last year. So far i have just upgraded the wheels and tires.
Enjoy the read - good thing its a bank holiday tomorrow, you're going to need the time ;-)

·
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,498 · (Edited)
This (older very early facelift) MY 2000 R170 V6 gets curious and curiouser ....................

@Deplore ...................

It has bolt on Rear Half-shafts, and they are a lot beefier than the 2002 Push fit ones that are on my V8 R170 Car ................

You can guess where I'm going with that :ROFLMAO: ............... I think this rear end will get a full rebuilld, (new arms and bushes etc), perhaps even Galvanise it's rear Subframe :), and then transplanted into the V8 Car, it also (because the diff is slightly different), gives me options on even taller Diffs, should I find that beneficial with a 7 G Trans, I have noticed that all the latest 7 G Cars use the likes of circa 2.6 and 2.4's, which were used on older MB's with the bigger Diesel engines, like the old W210 E300 Turbodiesel legend :D :D :D

For this R&D Car I will buy and fit another 2.87 Diff, but one with bolt up flanges, (2.87 is what I have in my V8), so once it works fine in this (V6) Car, I can just swap the Trans into the V8 in a weekend ;)

BTW, for the sake of avoiding confuddlement I will keep referring to them as V8 and V6 from now on ;)

I have mentally formed, (or should that read MENTAL) big plans for this tatty old 2000 V6 R170, which will, after the 7 G R&D malarky, be stripped to a bare Body Tub, and start from scratch :)

Current silly ideas include some serious front Chassis and Inner Wings re working, serious rear end rework including rear Subframe from a different MB model, plus rear Tubs to take bigger Tyres etc etc, then different front Suspension from MB, Rack and Pinion Steering, and possibly go for a V12 M275 Motor or a 5.4 supercharged M113 V8 Kompressor ;)

E55K Running gear in a "Wide Arch" R170 anyone ?

·
1,726 Posts
This (older very early facelift) MY 2000 R170 V6 gets curious and curiouser ....................

@Deplore ...................

It has bolt on Rear Half-shafts, and they are a lot beefier than the 2002 Push fit ones that are on my V8 R170 Car ................

You can guess where I'm going with that :ROFLMAO: ............... I think this rear end will get a full rebuilld, (new arms and bushes etc), perhaps even Galvanise it's rear Subframe :), and then transplanted into the V8 Car, it also (because the diff is slightly different), gives me options on even taller Diffs, should I find that beneficial with a 7 G Trans, I have noticed that all the latest 7 G Cars use the likes of circa 2.6 and 2.4's, which were used on older MB's with the bigger Diesel engines, like the old W210 E300 Turbodiesel legend :D :D :D

For this R&D Car I will buy and fit another 2.87 Diff, but one with bolt up flanges, (2.87 is what I have in my V8), so once it works fine in this (V6) Car, I can just swap the Trans into the V8 in a weekend ;)

BTW, for the sake of avoiding confuddlement I will keep referring to them as V8 and V6 from now on ;)

I have mentally formed, (or should that read MENTAL) big plans for this tatty old 2000 V6 R170, which will, after the 7 G R&D malarky, be stripped to a bare Body Tub, and start from scratch :)

Current silly ideas include some serious front Chassis and Inner Wings re working, serious rear end rework including rear Subframe from a different MB model, plus rear Tubs to take bigger Tyres etc etc, then different front Suspension from MB, Rack and Pinion Steering, and possibly go for a V12 M275 Motor or a 5.4 supercharged M113 V8 Kompressor ;)

E55K Running gear in a "Wide Arch" R170 anyone ?
You going drag racing in your dreams Dave?

·
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,500 ·
:ROFLMAO:

I been busy with a large Screwdriver, I better order a bloomin great sheet of thick Zintec body repair steel and get busy with the Mig, do the forward Rear Subframe Mounts properly first lol, then Inner and outer section of Sills.

I will likely start it later this week, will pull the Subframe tomorrow :)
Jacking points are still solid, so I can work downwards from there ;)

The localised nature of this rust suggests it's rear Drains were blocked for lord knows how long, the box sections concerned have filled up with H2O ;)
The rest of the shell is in good condition for it's age ;)

Left Side .....................

Notice the Fibreglass matting, plus the heavy Underseal and silver Hammerite paint, it would have been much quicker to have just welded it all properly and Waxoyled it's cavities :ROFLMAO:

Right side is the worst, (I often find that) ....

TTFN :)

On the upside, despite the Battery keep going flat, the Cars current drain is a mere 10mA, so I'll just stuff a decent Battery on it, i have a spare here, the one that came with it is clearly too small and well past it's sell by date ;) ....

The Bonnet's front edge is a bit grotty, and the Full Beam and Headlamp Flasher doesn't work, but rest of the Car is really pretty good so job's a good un ;)

TBH I was kinda expecting all that, and the whole Car is not as bad as I thought it would be, it looks awful right now, but once I cut all the grot out and make a nice job of it it won't be too bad to sort out ;)

I've restored much much worse in my time, and I think this car is worth saving :)

If I don't do it now I never will 🤣

1481 - 1500 of 1576 Posts