Mercedes SLK World banner

1441 - 1460 of 1464 Posts

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
1,484 Posts
Next year I get a Bus Pass :ROFLMAO:

But yeah, I still think I'm 21 ...................

In actual fact I'm 3B, so my hexadecimal age sounds much better 🤣
Don't know how often you get the bus :cool: But getting the tube for free a couple of years ago was a massive saving!

·
Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,443
The only time I'll use it is if I want to buy a vehicle say in Glasgow or borders etc, that way I can get to the car for free ;)

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
16,993 Posts
Happy Birthday Dave 🍺 🔧

Reactions: Dave2302

·
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,449
Wouldya Adam and Eve it ?????????????????????

It's that time already .......................

MOT time, we've had the Car 10 months now, MOT runs out 9th March so time to check it all and do a bit of light maintenance .....................

I didn't find anything wrong for test, so I removed all wheels and adjusted Parking Brake Shoes, also excercised all the Calipers and Pads to fully retracted, Waxoyled the ass outta everything underneath post winter, and Copperslipped all Wheel Bolts Disc retainer Bolts and Hub Centres :)

It can have another Oil and Filter change today, done about 3000 miles since we got it / did it, but whenever I buy a Car I like to do a couple or 3 Oil and Filter changes in quick succession just to give them a good flushing out ;)

Other than that all she needs is a darned good post Winter Valet and then also re furb the Summer Wheels including buy decent Avon ZV7's for them :)
Re furbing the Summer Wheels will likely be the first job in my new Paint Booth when it's finished ;) ...................

Best go get on wi' the Oil Change then then :)

·
* Registered - Looking for an SLK
Fleet of bottom feeder W210's....
125 Posts
Fishing for bday wishes, aren't you? :sneaky:

Are people MOTing the car are going to be that thorough with any cars that come through the inspection?

How long does it take?

·
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,452
My Tester guy at a local garage is thorough but fair.
Test is a one hour slot ;)

When ya get to my age (3B) ya don't fish for Birthday Wishes 🤣 🤣 🤣

I'm not doing any of the jobs I've just done because they are required for test, just for my own peace of mind ;)
I got rid of the last repair job for the week yesterday morning, (THE A Class), so thought I'd give the W212 some TLC ;)

I've never had the Wheels off this car before, and as she's been driven almost daily through all the Winter Salt etc, and now the Salt is off the roads and we are into springtime with some decent weather it just seems like the right time to get the Car ship shape, Mel will be back driving herself to work as of tomorrow ;)

The Car was always maintained at MB dealers in Surrey, it has never seen Copperslip on it's Wheel Bolts, Hub Centres etc etc, so all jobs were well worth doing. I did shoot it all underneath with Waxoyl pre Winter, so I pulled off the undershields and pressure washed the underside yesterday and then re shot it all with Waxoyl.

It is in excellent nick under there, has one Front to Rear Brake pipe with a 2" section that is getting scabby, so although it's a Rear Subframe out job I will replace them both before next test, will joint them with a straight coupler just forward of the Fuel Tank, think I can get away without removing the "saddle style" Fuel Tank that way ;)
That is the only thing I could fault the Car on, but it isn't bad enough to be a Fail yet :)

TTFN :)

·
125 Posts
Does the dude put it on the lift like you? What's he's looking for? I mean beside the obvious, like disintegrating subframe, control arms, etc. Are rusty brake lines included in that? What about minor things like squealing idler pulley but that's not hurting anything? Or cracked glasses? Cracked windows?

·
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,455
Are rusty brake lines included in that? What about minor things like squealing idler pulley but that's not hurting anything? Or cracked glasses? Cracked windows?
Brake Lines if they are seriously pitted yes, the one on my car will likely pass this test and next test, but as Mel drives it all the time I will do it and the other one while the Subframe is out, likely in my December shutdown this year ;)

Pulleys no, Cracked Windscreen yes, Cracked Mirror or Side Windows glass no unless ya can't get a decent view outta the Mirror ;) Front screen can have stone chips but only certain size chips in certain areas of screen ;)

The guide in @Windinmyhair 's link is entertaining if you have the time ;)

As I understand it UK Test is way more thorough than the USA testing in most States, you guys don't seem to need any glass, wipers, lights, seats, suspension, tyre tread, doors or floorpans as long as the engine passes emissions test :ROFLMAO:

·
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,456
That's that all prepped then, Engine nice and hot, Filter Housing cleaned, Filter and O rings replaced that's now ready to go back in with a light smear of synthetic grease on the O rings, I'll leave the Sump dripping out now for a couple of hours and then refit Filter and fill with fresh Oil :) ....

Then fire the Under-shield and Engine Cover back on and job's a good un :D :D :D

·
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,457
Well, I'm honestly gobsmacked ................

Our E Class Wagon has always driven well, very well in fact, I'm a fussy so and so and I couldn't fault it !!

Really really really, I haven't done anything to it that should change that .............

Lets Recap .............

Pre MOT Check
Oil and Filter Change
Clean and Re Waxoyl the underside
Exercised all Brake Calipers and Pads fully open and back
Adjusted Parking Brake a mere couple of clicks each side
Adjusted the left rearmost Exhaust Hanger as the Tailpipe was very close to the Exhaust exit Trim in the rear Bumper *
Swapped the new (when I got the car) but :poop: Ditch-finder Special (asymmetric) rear Tyres side to side so they are now rotating in the opposite direction, now I didn't deliberately do that, it's just I picked up the Wheel behind the car, and stuck it on the right side, then I realised it had come off the left side, but as the Tyres are asymmetric it doesn't matter, so I just fitted the other one to the left side*

So a little while back I went for a test drive and to pick Mel up from work, and the dang thing actually drives even better than it ever has before, absolutely noticeably so :ROFLMAO:

I cannae put my finger on exactly what I mean by that, and it may just be psycological, because like I said, I couldn't really fault the car beforehand, it certainly always has driven way better than the 2 one owner W212 Cars I have on my books with very low mileages, but it certainly struck me within a 1/4 mile that it just drives better now, or could it just be that the suns out, it's a nice day etc etc ...............
Perhaps the car has just appreciated a little TLC after a long hard winter 🤣

IDK 🤣

*The only thing I can think of is that it had to be either that left Tailpipe was slightly touching and setting up a barely detectable resonance or the :poop: Tyres are wearing slightly strange ???????????????????????????

It will be interesting to see what happens when the Summer Wheels are refurbed and fitted with new Avon ZV7's ......................

It has to be the Tyres swapped over doesn't it ????????????????????

I'm almost tempted to swap them back and try it again, but I'm a firm believer in "If it ain't broke don't fix it" ...............

Not that I had set out to actually fix anything in the first place :D :D :D

Normal service will be resumed ASAP ;)

·
125 Posts
Were the tires directional by any chance?

I had a car that acted real squirrly, and turned out to be a lot jockey that rotated staggered and directional tires on the wrong side.

·
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,459
No, definitely not Directional, they are Asymetric, in other words they just have an "Inside and an Outside" ......................

I've driven the car a lot since then, and yeah, whatever it was it is just more refined to drive ;)

I am certain it was a "Ditchfinder" cheap Tyre thing they must have been wearing weird, but no visible sign of that ;)
I expect further improvement when the new set of Rims are done and it gets a set of my favourite ZV7's :)

1441 - 1460 of 1464 Posts