Mercedes SLK World banner

1401 - 1420 of 1464 Posts

·
Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,401
I would if I were still down south Len, but up here if the folks OK a job then they always pay ;)

Most Parts are on a monthly account, but I do have a rule on longer jobs, (especially with a new customer), that if I get to £1000 in parts then I ask for a stage payment that just helps with cash-flow on the "long stay patients" ;)

I think because this is a relatively low end poverty spec Car it won't be that difficult to fix, could well be a good earner ...................

Ha Ha, famous last words, we'll see ;)

·
* Registered - Looking for an SLK
Fleet of bottom feeder W210's....
125 Posts
Sure, I don't doubt that.... But there's a difference between a gravy job versus one that kicks you in the butt every step of the way. Kinda like a girlfriend vs psycho ex... You'd prefer to see only one of them come back. :sneaky:

·
Super Moderator (UK)
32,293 Posts
Sure, I don't doubt that.... But there's a difference between a gravy job versus one that kicks you in the butt every step of the way. Kinda like a girlfriend vs psycho ex... You'd prefer to see only one of them come back. :sneaky:
Yep, but when you are young, either can be fun...for a while.

·
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,408
You'd prefer to see only one of them come back. :sneaky:
You had to have gone and done it didn't ya :ROFLMAO:

Phone call this morning ........................

He's needing 2 brake pipes done, advised on his MOT .....................

He's also got Engine Management light on and limp mode ................................................

I've booked it in for 3 weeks time in the hope that it catches fire or a bin lorry, tractor, earthquake, tidal wave etc drives over it, swallows it, floods it ............................

Hmmmmmm mebee some of that could be arranged :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
16,993 Posts
Ahh, let's try to keep it on topic folks (as much as is possible, anyways 😉 )

·
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,411 (Edited)
Ahh, let's try to keep it on topic folks (as much as is possible, anyways 😉 )
(y) Len,

I can manage that right now (y) ...................

My V8 R170 is now on the lift, in da building for the weekend so I can crack on with the Paint Booth / Garage tomorrow :) ....

I have just taken a few way more accurate measurements :)

Cooler pipes are no issue, the 7G Tronic Cooler Lines are 10mm Tube, so are the 722.6 :)
I'm going to use a 10mm Hydraulic "Olive" type coupler just forward of the Engines Bellhousing each side, thus if the worst happens and I really canna crack this conversion then it's easy to revert to 722.6 ;) ....

The front half of the Prop needs shortened and balanced, (Thanks Al @ADH for an accurate measurement of his spare 722.6 Transmission in his garage), 7G Tronic from Bell housing to Prop Flange face is 625mm and 722.6 measures 584mm, sliding spline on the prop so I'll take exactly 40mm outta that and send it for balance :D

Transmission Mountings Saddle, well I have 2 choices really, completely fabricate a new one or use and modify the spare R170 one I blagged recently, basically the Rubber Mount needs to go backwards by 44.5 mm. Drivetrain alignment (height of G/Box Mount) needs to be spot on, so the plan A is set out below ;)

This Picture below is the R170 Mounting Saddle attached to the 7G Tronic Trans ....
I think the way to do this nicely is to actually move the 3 Mounting holes (red pen) that bolt to the Chassis on each side forward by the magic 44.5mm, thus the Exhaust Downpipe Bracketry will still bolt up nicely, of course the Exhaust Brackets will also require lengthening, which is no biggie ;)

I have a plan, which involves cutting off the mounting holes sections towards the outer edge of the steel rule ....

Then welding in a section of this 6mm flat bar on either side, tied in nicely to the pressings ribs, with the bolt holes in the flat bar drilled further forward ....

Having just laid it all out I am convinced that to the untrained eye, when it's finished and painted the modified Trans Mounting Crossmember will be almost indistinguishable from the standard item and likely stronger / stiffer ;)

The only real slightly nagging doubt in my mind with this whole conversion is how well the ABS / ESP is gonna play with a 7G Tronic Transmission, but I do have a plan B for that if they don't talk to each other 😈

That's all folks, cue the 🎼 🎼 🎼 🎼 🎼 🎼

·
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,413
Well through the Workshop window it's been a good week in all ....................

A horrible old Hyundai Coupe with all sorts of problems fixed and gone back to it's rightful, as was an old Honda CRV with ABS wiring issue :)

Then, there was the 2011 Skoda Fabia that some numpty put the Jump Leads on reverse polarity :ROFLMAO:

It's fixed, but I haven't told them it's fixed yet, I'll hang onto it for a few more days before giving it back, purely for "Owners Psycology" reasons .......................
It's a big hefty bill, so if I have it a bit longer they'll think they've gotten their moneys worth :ROFLMAO:

So yeah, those 3 jobs, all none too expensive on Parts, so mostly all profit :)

Put both my cars back in the Workshop for the weekend earlier :)

Started back at the Paint Booth build project today, also this afternoon I was playing sideways in the E Class Wagon I went out and about getting more Screws, Electrical connector strips etc etc so I can crack on tomorrow without having to go for supplies ;)

А сейчас до свидания

·
* Registered - Looking for an SLK
Fleet of bottom feeder W210's....
125 Posts
It's fixed, but I haven't told them it's fixed yet, I'll hang onto it for a few more days before giving it back, purely for "Owners Psycology" reasons .......................
Yup. I do that with certain customers that I know are a pain in the butt. Does that make me an rearhole? Yes, most likely. But these same customers are looking for every opportunity to shortchange me, up and including credit card charge back and issuing a check stop payment on the bank really hammers in that point.

I just upcharge them 25% extra and add a day or two. Seems to work. Only 4 of my customers are like that....and I relish for the day when they finally slip up and I get to fire them. But....money is good, but they're so straddling the line of so-so customer and a negative customer (customer that costs you more revenue then they bring in).

Oddly enough my landlord taught me that. He was a former shop owner too.

А сейчас до свидания
Russian now, Davey?

·
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,415
(y)

I'm lucky, I don't take Card Payments or Cheques, just Cash, or in most cases direct Bank Transfers .................
A new unknown Customer has to clear the bill before or at time of collection, after that I trust them and they can go away with the bill and transfer the money within a day or 2 which they all do.

Only had one local guy who always took weeks sometimes months to pay, eventually I got fed up and binned him and his heap of :poop: off, as have all the other local garages round here ;)

Russian now, Davey?
I just got bored with "TTFN, "Bye For Now" etc, so I'm now becoming multi lingual :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
1,090 Posts
Yup. I do that with certain customers that I know are a pain in the butt. Does that make me an rearhole? Yes, most likely. But these same customers are looking for every opportunity to shortchange me, up and including credit card charge back and issuing a check stop payment on the bank really hammers in that point.

I just upcharge them 25% extra and add a day or two. Seems to work. Only 4 of my customers are like that....and I relish for the day when they finally slip up and I get to fire them. But....money is good, but they're so straddling the line of so-so customer and a negative customer (customer that costs you more revenue then they bring in).

Oddly enough my landlord taught me that. He was a former shop owner too.

Russian now, Davey?
I used to work in a bike shop and every spring we would have customers come in as they couldn't get their bike started. At first we would ask if it had gas. (stopped doing that pretty quick) Wow never saw people get so angry so quickly. Customer answer: Of course it has gas, I'm not an idiot. My response: OK, we'll check it out. Send them away, take the bike out back, put gas in, fires right up. Give the bike a general inspection to make sure it was good to go. Call the customer in a few days and tell them we had to clean the carbs, but that they were such a good customer that we only charged them for an inspection and fresh gas.

My boss wasn't happy that we didn't charge for cleaning the carbs (He was that kind of guy), but I just couldn't charge for a couple hours work that I didn't do.

Sorry: getting a little off topic ; )

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
1,484 Posts
(y) Len,

I can manage that right now (y) ...................

My V8 R170 is now on the lift, in da building for the weekend so I can crack on with the Paint Booth / Garage tomorrow :) ....

I have just taken a few way more accurate measurements :)

Cooler pipes are no issue, the 7G Tronic Cooler Lines are 10mm Tube, so are the 722.6 :)
I'm going to use a 10mm Hydraulic "Olive" type coupler just forward of the Engines Bellhousing each side, thus if the worst happens and I really canna crack this conversion then it's easy to revert to 722.6 ;) ....

The front half of the Prop needs shortened and balanced, (Thanks Al @ADH for an accurate measurement of his spare 722.6 Transmission in his garage), 7G Tronic from Bell housing to Prop Flange face is 625mm and 722.6 measures 584mm, sliding spline on the prop so I'll take exactly 40mm outta that and send it for balance :D

Transmission Mountings Saddle, well I have 2 choices really, completely fabricate a new one or use and modify the spare R170 one I blagged recently, basically the Rubber Mount needs to go backwards by 44.5 mm. Drivetrain alignment (height of G/Box Mount) needs to be spot on, so the plan A is set out below ;)

This Picture below is the R170 Mounting Saddle attached to the 7G Tronic Trans ....
I think the way to do this nicely is to actually move the 3 Mounting holes (red pen) that bolt to the Chassis on each side forward by the magic 44.5mm, thus the Exhaust Downpipe Bracketry will still bolt up nicely, of course the Exhaust Brackets will also require lengthening, which is no biggie ;)

I have a plan, which involves cutting off the mounting holes sections towards the outer edge of the steel rule ....

Then welding in a section of this 6mm flat bar on either side, tied in nicely to the pressings ribs, with the bolt holes in the flat bar drilled further forward ....

Having just laid it all out I am convinced that to the untrained eye, when it's finished and painted the modified Trans Mounting Crossmember will be almost indistinguishable from the standard item and likely stronger / stiffer ;)

The only real slightly nagging doubt in my mind with this whole conversion is how well the ABS / ESP is gonna play with a 7G Tronic Transmission, but I do have a plan B for that if they don't talk to each other 😈

That's all folks, cue the 🎼 🎼 🎼 🎼 🎼 🎼
I noticed Dave, I noticed 🙏🙏🙏

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
1,484 Posts
I used to work in a bike shop and every spring we would have customers come in as they couldn't get their bike started. At first we would ask if it had gas. (stopped doing that pretty quick) Wow never saw people get so angry so quickly. Customer answer: Of course it has gas, I'm not an idiot. My response: OK, we'll check it out. Send them away, take the bike out back, put gas in, fires right up. Give the bike a general inspection to make sure it was good to go. Call the customer in a few days and tell them we had to clean the carbs, but that they were such a good customer that we only charged them for an inspection and fresh gas.

My boss wasn't happy that we didn't charge for cleaning the carbs (He was that kind of guy), but I just couldn't charge for a couple hours work that I didn't do.

Sorry: getting a little off topic ; )
All seems entirely on topic to me.

·
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,419
OK, so this morning I should have been back to the Paint Booth project, but I had to get the cars out first, I'm on the boring job of Caulking all the joints and little gaps etc, and it is a glorious day, dry roads, so decided that the V8 SLK needed a nice run up the Glen and back :)

I don't think I've driven it on the Road for a fair old while now, and of course I have got used to driving the E class and the Van around, plus customer vehicles ............................

What an absolute pleasure, I'd forgotten just how quick this thing is when I smash the Go Pedal :D :D :D

Just back from a good thrash ....

Quick lunch and get stuck back into the caulking, with renewed vigour :)

·
Super Moderator (UK)
32,293 Posts
Shock, horror. I didn't think it possible to drive on the road up there this time of year.
I thought it'd be all off roading ;)
Certainly feels that way locally.

1401 - 1420 of 1464 Posts