Mercedes SLK World banner

901 - 920 of 945 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
219 Posts
I have a friend that has a Mercedes with that ECO system. Drove me nuts as the damn car shuts off at every stop and then starts up again. As a mechanic I just keep thinking about the starter, battery and other systems take a beating with this. Certainly is a PIA.........

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,311 Posts
Gonna reverse the function of the silly ECO (stop start) button, so it's default is OFF soon, fed up with having to keep pressing the ECO Button every time I start it and go for a drive, that system is very hard on Starters and Batteries, I'd imagine it's a nightmare if you drive in cities etc ;) I've never done that conversion before, so I'm gonna have to brush up on Vediamo, being a newer Car it doesn't use DAS / Developer to modify Codings, I will have to use Xentry and Vediamo on this Car ..................
Meanwhile, two words
sports mode

·
Registered 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #903
two words
sports mode
Yeah but no but, Myk, ..............

Feel free to tell me I'm being a Delta India Charlie Kilo, but when you start the Car, just as easy to press Eco Button to turn that :poop: off as it is to Press Sport Mode button to put it into Sport, both settings revert to Standard Nanny ECO :poop: when switched off and restarted ;) ..................

So I come back to lets reprogram it how it should have come from the factory, the ECO switch turns it on, only if me, the Cars Owner / Driver decides that I want it on, and not the other way around ;)

·
27,311 Posts
Foxtrot India Hotel.
Sport stays in sport for restart for rest of the day unless stood for hours.

·
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #905
As a mechanic I just keep thinking about the starter, battery and other systems take a beating with this.
Eggzakkerly MB Techie Chick, you just bashed that nail square on the head, thankfully if the navi data was anything to go by this car has done a lot of runs through Europe, so not been sat in city traffic for most of it's life :)

·
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #906
Sport stays in sport for restart for rest of the day unless stood for hours.
On E Class Diseasel ? AFAIK ...................

Dunno, 🤣 I would go and try that, but its Papa 'ing down outside right now :ROFLMAO:

I'll let ya know when I ain't gonna get wet ;)

·
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #912
I can't believe no one pointed me to thissy here thread right here on our beloved Forum .......................

Whilst I'm not 101% certain right now that I'll not brick my Car it does help to dispel some internet myths around Vediamo, and now it is a bit clearer, basically Vediamo is the MB "Developer Mode" for use with "Later" Cars that require Xentry, it's just not as easy to use as Developer ...................

I was nervous when I first used Developer, now I almost use it when asleep 🤣

I'll let y'all know when I suss it out not comfortable playing with it on Car yet ;) .................

I might get my tireless ECU Guru pal in States to do the ECO via Team Viewer on this one, and I can video what he does, then slow it all down and watch watch watch ;)

Mel will go "Ape :poop:" if I 🧱 'her' new car :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
219 Posts
That battery hit, plus the irritation factor are reasons me no likey stop start.
Bravo pointlyess IMHO.
It's truly a nuisance system. But, they probably had to do it for either emission reasons or fuel economy standards. I'm sure the MB engineers are much smarter then that. Also think of all the added maintenance for starters, switches and batteries that system will bring into the shop. (n):sneaky:

·
27,311 Posts
It's truly a nuisance system. But, they probably had to do it for either emission reasons or fuel economy standards. I'm sure the MB engineers are much smarter then that. Also think of all the added maintenance for starters, switches and batteries that system will bring into the shop. (n):sneaky:
Can see it now:

Right team, we have to improve our green credentials.
My question to you designers is how do we make money out of it?
Stop/Start.
More batteries.
Extra wear on components.
Another system we can add to our 'fleece you with a scan' scheme.
An opportunity to replace parts needlessly and then get them back for a proper fix.

Sounds good, let's do it.

·
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #915
Remember my new Garage, can fit an S Class and an E Class Wagon in it 😈

A load of dress up the Wagon parts arrived, and its p'ing down and howling outside ...................

Yet another Customers ELV is now dead on my lift until the wrong parts are returned, (clutch and DMF), and then are eventually replaced with the correct ones, so I'm working on the cosmetic tarting up of the E Class down in the garage ;)

I already bought the optional AMG "Diamond" Radiator Grille for the Estate, IMO they look much nicer than the stock ones, it arrived yesterday .................

TTFN

·
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #919
do you reckon the depression could be massaged out from the inside?
Yes definitely, can actually get right at it by un latching the Right Side Trunk Panel which un covers the (further forward than ding) Rear Fuse / Relay / SAM box, then and pulling one plastic rivet to get the Sound Proofing outta the way, yes dead easy, I'm going to do some research tomorrow see if there is a PDR in Inverness ;)

I've already got it 50% better with a block of wood and hand pressure, but I don't want to stretch it too much and make matters worse.
I've seen skilled PDR guys get worse out with great results ;)

In a way I'd have been happier if it had just wiped out the Tail Lamp instead, but missed that and got the bloomin' panel :cry:
Although they are LED Lamps and Retail for about £400 it would have just taken 5 minutes to put a new one in ;)

Chow for now ;)

·
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #920
Well since I brought the E Class home it has rained rained rained, and I can't get it in workshop right now due to an old scrapper Kia stuck on the lift waiting for a Clutch, so I got it in the Garage Saturday and did the Grille and the Trunk Loading Scratch Protector on the Bumper (above), that's about it so far ....................

Sun is shining today, and so I decided to fire up the SDS and give it a full health check outside this morning :) .........................

Pleased to report that there is no Current Codes, there was around 5 old codes, mainly Voltage related, plus a Cam Pos Sensor in the Engine, so I took a look and yup, it's recently had a Battery and an Intake Cam Sensor :)

So all good so far :)

901 - 920 of 945 Posts