Mercedes SLK World banner

441 - 460 of 546 Posts

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #441
Coffee time lol,

OK, I just stumbled upon this Video, I'd forgotten about this Car, not sure if it's an Osterle Conversion or some other German effort ;) ....

Auto Trans Mapping

Listen to that thing shift, Part Throttle Up-shifts are awful, it sounds to me like he has to let off the Throttle to get it to Up-shift, except at WOT :(

I see no signs of the Driver using the Gear-stick Tippy, or having Paddle Shifts, so I don't think he's holding Gears in Manual Mode ;)

That's why I said "I hope the Programming is correct on my V8 TCU" a few posts back ;)
Jeez guys I could not live with that, however I / we think it should have been addressed when my TCU was Custom Coded !!

Emotion Exhaust

IIRC @M4rCu5 was wondering why / where I was going with Emotion Exhaust :)

Again, hell I could not put up with that Exhaust Note all the time, hence, having been there done that and got the T Shirt when I was much younger, I now know that Noise does not = Power ;)

So by setting up my Emotion Exhaust properly what I hope to achieve is that lovely V8 "open header type rumble" under 2 conditions :-

1) Upon Cranking and Firing it will sound Loud for a matter of up to 20 seconds and then settle sweetly into a quiet burble at idle.

2) At or at very near WOT again it will bark, but as the Revs and Vacuum rise and one lifts off the Throttle she will go back to sounding like a V8 with a decent Exhaust ;)

Other than those 2 conditions it should sound just like a normal 320 only with that lovely "Busy yowling" sound that a V8 has over a 6 cylinder motor when piped through a single Rear Silencer

So that's where I'm going with Emotion Exhaust ;)

I expect it will involve some R&D into Vac Pipe diameter, and Actuator Spring Tension, also perhaps a Vac Solenoid triggered by the Kick-down Switch or a Micro Switch, perhaps even a Timer Relay, and also perhaps a small Vac Reservoir, but until I hook it all up i simply won't know as this is all a new territory for me ;)

More soon, work is going well today, I might do a short Video in a while depending how well my "practice run video", pausing and commentary with the help of the Cats last night has come out :D

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
522 Posts
OK, the Video will hopefully get done tomorrow, before I head South to get the top secret parts 😈

My SLK 5.0 will be on the lift so easier to get views all around my handiwork thus far, might even combine a Video with a "Red Pen" ( @Squishband ) 🤣

Shopping list ..............

Here's the latest load of bits ordered yesterday :-

1) Bottom Radiator Hose (it's old and soft) ✅

2) New Coolant Radiator, (its ok but old and likely the original) ✅

3) Top (long) Trans Oil Cooler Pipe to Radiator, (very bad corrosion) ✅

4) Two off 5 burl Upper Spring Pads for front Suspension Springs ✅

5) Two off Lower Spring Shims (where Spring sits in Lower Wishbone Arm) ✅

6) Various new "Brabus Replicar worthy" 😈 Air Intake Pipework Parts ✅

7) Suitable Sized Stainless 'P' Clips ✅

I will try and get the Right Front Brake done on Saturday morning after doing a Vehicle Check on the Workshop Van, prior to it's long journey South ;)

More soon :)

I have a feeling the next 2 weekends after this one will see some hellish good updates :D :D :D

Ta Ta ;)
That sounds special Dave. Thanks.

·
522 Posts
Coffee time lol,

OK, I just stumbled upon this Video, I'd forgotten about this Car, not sure if it's an Osterle Conversion or some other German effort ;) ....

Auto Trans Mapping

Listen to that thing shift, Part Throttle Up-shifts are awful, it sounds to me like he has to let off the Throttle to get it to Up-shift, except at WOT :(

I see no signs of the Driver using the Gear-stick Tippy, or having Paddle Shifts, so I don't think he's holding Gears in Manual Mode ;)

That's why I said "I hope the Programming is correct on my V8 TCU" a few posts back ;)
Jeez guys I could not live with that, however I / we think it should have been addressed when my TCU was Custom Coded !!

Emotion Exhaust

IIRC @M4rCu5 was wondering why / where I was going with Emotion Exhaust :)

Again, hell I could not put up with that Exhaust Note all the time, hence, having been there done that and got the T Shirt when I was much younger, I now know that Noise does not = Power ;)

So by setting up my Emotion Exhaust properly what I hope to achieve is that lovely V8 "open header type rumble" under 2 conditions :-

1) Upon Cranking and Firing it will sound Loud for a matter of up to 20 seconds and then settle sweetly into a quiet burble at idle.

2) At or at very near WOT again it will bark, but as the Revs and Vacuum rise and one lifts off the Throttle she will go back to sounding like a V8 with a decent Exhaust ;)

Other than those 2 conditions it should sound just like a normal 320 only with that lovely "Busy yowling" sound that a V8 has over a 6 cylinder motor when piped through a single Rear Silencer

So that's where I'm going with Emotion Exhaust ;)

I expect it will involve some R&D into Vac Pipe diameter, and Actuator Spring Tension, also perhaps a Vac Solenoid triggered by the Kick-down Switch or a Micro Switch, perhaps even a Timer Relay, and also perhaps a small Vac Reservoir, but until I hook it all up i simply won't know as this is all a new territory for me ;)

More soon, work is going well today, I might do a short Video in a while depending how well my "practice run video", pausing and commentary with the help of the Cats last night has come out :D
I’m very much in favour of stealth now I’m all growed up. Got turned onto that by a mate with a tricked out Skyline that just looked and sounded like a family sedan...
Lots of fun.

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #444
Agreed,

Loud Exhausts all the time just make you Public, (and Cops), Enemy numero uno ;)

And then there's the fun I can have when the "BMW yak yak yak" driver thinks oh look, an old R170 🤣

In actual fact I should really totally De Badge it, or put a 1.1 CDi Badge on the back like @Avel Du said ;)

·
522 Posts
Agreed,

Loud Exhausts all the time just make you Public, (and Cops), Enemy numero uno ;)

And then there's the fun I can have when the "BMW yak yak yak" driver thinks oh look, an old R170 🤣

In actual fact I should really totally De Badge it, or put a 1.1 CDi Badge on the back like @Avel Du said ;)
The Little Growler doesn’t have any nomenclature, except for, ‘Kompressor’, forward of the doors on the wings. I like it like that. I’d like it more, of course, if there was a 350 under the hood ;)

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
35 Posts

Hi Dave i can't remember exactly o_O did you use the 500 TCU and have it custom coded to match the new diff ratio or were there other reasons for the custom tune??

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #447
did you use the 500 TCU and have it custom coded to match the new diff ratio or were there other reasons for the custom tune??
Hi, yes it was S500 TCU, (because it matches the V8 Transmission ratios, Shift Points, Torque Limit etc), but had to Re Program it for 2.87 Diff Ratio and also added the Manual Mode, which when selected it should bounce off the Rev Limiter without up-shifting, and not downshift upon Kickdown Throttle opening, (in other words stay in the Gear Selected with either my Tippy Gearstick or Paddles), just like a true Manual Gearbox would ;)

Brabus and some AMG Cars have that 'M' Manual Option ;)

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
35 Posts
Hi, yes it was S500 TCU, (because it matches the V8 Transmission ratios, Shift Points, Torque Limit etc), but had to Re Program it for 2.87 Diff Ratio and also added the Manual Mode, which when selected it should bounce off the Rev Limiter without up-shifting, and not downshift upon Kickdown Throttle opening, (in other words stay in the Gear Selected with either my Tippy Gearstick or Paddles), just like a true Manual Gearbox would ;)

Brabus and some AMG Cars have that 'M' Manual Option ;)
Thanks Dave you must upload a video of the rev counter bouncing (with audio !!!!!!!!!) :devilish:... is the diff ratio re-program done with SDS or all custom by a 3rd party??

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #449
(y)

Trans Controllers are one thing you cannot do with SDS unless you have MB Server Access, or a TCU that still communicates and Copy its Coding, (which clearly would have been no good in this instance as I would have just been copying Standard Config) ;)

I got a Buddy from Moldova who is an expert with MB Conversions, he has his own Trans Decoder Program. wrote a Map to suit what I needed, then he did mine via TV with my Donor Car on my own SDS :)

Now I have the SCN Number I can do another one if it ever goes duff ;)

·
522 Posts
(y)

Trans Controllers are one thing you cannot do with SDS unless you have MB Server Access, or a TCU that still communicates and Copy its Coding, (which clearly would have been no good in this instance as I would have just been copying Standard Config) ;)

I got a Buddy from Moldova who is an expert with MB Conversions, he has his own Trans Decoder Program. wrote a Map to suit what I needed, then he did mine via TV with my Donor Car on my own SDS :)

Wickid!

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
35 Posts
(y)

Thanks Dave ........ can't wait for your road test report....got everything crossed for you :)(y)(y)

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #452
can't wait for your road test report
Thanks (y)

A little step closer now, this afternoon I fitted the Final Brake to be upgraded plus new Backplate and Re Pack Wheel Bearing job (Right Front) ....

So that's the Brake Upgrades Front and Rear all done ✅

Off out to move some Cars and park 'em sensibly, they have just been abandoned outside the Workshop :(

Then indoors, Grub, Sleep, Change of Clothes and I'll be on the Road heading South at about 11pm to pick up the "Top Secret Cake Icing bits" plus a couple of other spares tomorrow morning :D

TTFN :)

·
Premium member 2003 SLK320
95 Posts
In 1961 I put a 324 V-8 Oldsmobile into a 1955 Chevrolet Del Rey that had been a V-6 235. I remember a very similar feeling on the first start of that engine. I have done lots of other projects, but none as intricate as yours. I am glad everything seems to going well for you.

At my age I think if I need an 8 cylinder, I will just go and get a 55.

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #454 (Edited)
The Top Secret Cake Icing :)

Firstly I have to say an absolutely HUUUUGE Thank You to a really great guy, who is a member of this Forum, and has been following my SLK V8 Project since I bought the Car 15 months odd ago ...................

He knows who he is lol, and I'm not mentioning any names, but he knows he can post anything he likes here but only if he wishes to (y)
Also a big thank you to his lovely lady, who also made me feel very welcome, cooked us all a gorgeous Breakfast and several Coffees, also for putting up with me blethering on about Cars (y)

This guy contacted me a little while back, and he really and genuinely wanted to contribute the "Top Secret Parts" below to my project, for which I am very grateful, no way did I have the spare cash in my project pot to be buying these right now !!
He is now amongst the really genuine folks I call good friends :)

Despite me thoroughly checking my Van over on Friday, pre trip, the journey was not without incident, in fact as I was only just my (north) side of Fort William when I heard an awful clattering / grinding sound, pitch black around midnight, and saw sparks flying out behind me in my Door Mirror, thoughts of aborting were going through my head :cry:

Reduced speed, had to trundle along clattering for about half a mile until I found a lay by to pull into. I'd realised by now the van was driving OK, and it was likely only an Exhaust issue, although she didn't sound hardly any louder !!

Long story short, as they do, it had broken on the welded joint just at the exit of the Main Silencer !! It was dragging on the road as "Kermit" who designed the Peugeot Van decided in his infinite wisdom it didn't need an Exhaust Hanger in this area, of course with a flexi joint at the CAT / Turbo pipe, it simply drops and drags along the Road :(

However I almost aborted and got the [email protected]&*d recovered, but man, I really wanted those parts, so I put a Ratchet Strap around the whole van through the Doors round the Sills and across the Underside, and it held the Silencer up off the Road for the rest of the whole trip ;) ..............

My emergency bodge, (which I'm going to patent) 🤣 , held for the rest of the journey down and all the way back, circa 950 miles on 1 Ratchet Strap :D :D :D ....

When I fit the new Exhaust I'm going to add an extra Hanger, so if it breaks there again it won't drop !! This Van and our Climate eats Exhausts, this system is 14 months old, looked fine, and I yanked the hell outta it when checking the Van on Friday (y)

OK OK, enuf of all this, here is a pic of Brabus V8 R170 Car # 5 ....

And, (still fitted with the 225 / 40 x 18 "Ditch Finder specials" that came with them), here is my Car with the Top Secret "MY PRECIOUS", which I went to pick up :) :) :) :) :) ....

This is simply the ICING ON THE CAKE for me and for my Project, I am absolutely over the moon, I will be fitting and balancing my new 255 / 35 x 18 and 235 / 40 x 18's hopefully some time this week, when I've caught up with some work.

My SLK 5.0 V8 Lazulithe Blau Brabus Replicar # 6 is safely tucked up in the "new" Garage, we have some tasty updates coming soon 😈

Sadly my new radiator turned up damaged, so that's gotta go back :(

TTFN

·
522 Posts
The Top Secret Cake Icing :)

Firstly I have to say an absolutely HUUUUGE Thank You to a really great guy, who is a member of this Forum, and has been following my SLK V8 Project since I bought the Car 15 months odd ago ...................

He knows who he is lol, and I'm not mentioning any names, but he knows he can post anything he likes here but only if he wishes to (y)
Also a big thank you to his lovely lady, who also made me feel very welcome, cooked us all a gorgeous Breakfast and several Coffees, also for putting up with me blethering on about Cars (y)

This guy contacted me a little while back, and he really and genuinely wanted to contribute the "Top Secret Parts" below to my project, for which I am very grateful, no way did I have the spare cash in my project pot to be buying these right now !!
He is now amongst the really genuine folks I call good friends :)

Despite me thoroughly checking my Van over on Friday, pre trip, the journey was not without incident, in fact as I was only just my (north) side of Fort William when I heard an awful clattering / grinding sound, pitch black around midnight, and saw sparks flying out behind me in my Door Mirror, thoughts of aborting were going through my head :cry:

Reduced speed, had to trundle along clattering for about half a mile until I found a lay by to pull into. I'd realised by now the van was driving OK, and it was likely only an Exhaust issue, although she didn't sound hardly any louder !!

Long story short, as they do, it had broken on the welded joint just at the exit of the Main Silencer !! It was dragging on the road as "Kermit" who designed the Peugeot Van decided in his infinite wisdom it didn't need an Exhaust Hanger in this area, of course with a flexi joint at the CAtT / Turbo pipe, it simply drops and drags along the Road :(

However I almost aborted and got the [email protected]&*d recovered, but man, I really wanted those parts, so I put a Ratchet Strap around the whole van through the Doors round the Sills and across the Underside, and it held the Silencer up off the Road for the rest of the whole trip ;) ..............

My emergency bodge, (which I'm going to patent) 🤣 , held for the rest of the journey down and all the way back, circa 950 miles on 1 Ratchet Strap :D :D :D ....

When I fit the new Exhaust I'm going to add an extra Hanger, so if it breaks there again it won't drop !! This Van and our Climate eats Exhausts, this system is 14 months old, looked fine, and I yanked the hell outta it when checking the Van on Friday (y)

OK OK, enuf of all this, here is a pic of Brabus V8 Ri70 Car # 5 ....

And, (still fitted with the 245 / 40 x 18 "Ditch Finder specials" that came with them), here is my Car with the Top Secret "MY PRECIOUS", which I went to pick up :) :) :) :) :) ....

This is simply the ICING ON THE CAKE for me and for my Project, I am absolutely over the moon, I will be fitting and balancing my new 255 / 35 x 18 and 235 / 40 x 18's hopefully some time this week, when I've caught up with some work.

My SLK 5.0 V8 Lazulithe Blau Brabus Replicar # 6 is safely tucked up in the "new" Garage, we have some tasty updates coming soon 😈

Sadly my new radiator turned up damaged, so that's gotta go back :(

TTFN
Love the roadside repair Dave - typically inventive it seems to me.

Nice wheels. Are they made in two parts so that all the places that look like they’re the lacing spots for spokes are actually where they clamp together?

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,110 Posts
Looking good fella.

Your exhaust issue is amongst the reasons I sometimes carry
bailing wire & gaffa tape (Never use gaffa on hot parts - smokey smokey).

If I am doing the remote lanes, they serve as a get out of jail fix.
No phone and at least not stranded.

Need to examine my calendar closely soon (y)

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
166 Posts
Congratulations Dave on the original Brabus wheels and they certainly pull the entire project together. A big thank you goes to the mystery man that made this awesome contribution to this magnificent project. The wheels look fabulous and are truly "the icing on the cake".

Loved the exhaust story - here we say that would be a "Joe Magee" fix for sure. But you got yourself underway and that's what matters. Yes I would have reached for the spool of "bailing wire" and tied it off but the strap through the door jams is classic.

Can't wait for more updates.........

Regards,
Lisa

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #459 (Edited)
Are they made in two parts so that all the places that look like they’re the lacing spots for spokes are actually where they clamp together?
Hi,

Good question (y) ...................

I have no idea how they are constructed, I might get an insight into how they are made when I fit the Tyres.

What I can say is that although they are Replicas, (Not Genuine Brabus), they are made by the same company who make Wheels for many top Marques ;) ............

I can't say who or which Marques on Forum due to copy-write issues :p

They have also got the same as Original JWL and SAE Certifications, plus they seem very well constructed and they certainly look the absolute Dogs Danglies on my Car.

I spun them up in my Balancer this morning and as I expected they are spot on true :)

You would have to get down on your knees and inspect them with a magnifying glass to tell that they are not genuine Brabus, but lets be brutally honest, neither is my Car ;)

What I am attempting here is to create a "real world" affordable "Homage" of an extremely rare and desirable Car, which hopefully with it's more modern technology M113 V8 will prove as reliable as any daily driver, just as brutally fast, and after phase 2 (Body) and phase 3 (Interior) the Car will be perfect in all respects to all but the most knowledgeable and discerning of MB Experts :)

Chow for now,

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #460 (Edited)
Oh, what the hell ...................

I just bought 2 Brand new 235 / 40 x 18 Uniroyal Rainsports to match the New Uniroyal 255 Rears I bought a week or so back, I can't bring myself to fit those others I had for the Fronts on these beautiful rims ;)

Hopefully they will arrive in synch with the any day now TPMS Sensor Valves and not hold up fitting of Tyres too much, maybe towards the end of the week if the Rears were anything to go by ;)

So that's the project cash pot FUBAR'd once again lol, but I did net and land a large almost all profit 4 figure ££££ job on an ML this morning :D

Shhhhh Don't tell SWMBO :ROFLMAO:

441 - 460 of 546 Posts