Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
3161 - 3180 of 3192 Posts

·
*Administrator (Premium Member)
43,455 Posts
I have seriously looked at Hybrid technology, but the SLK's space limitations would give an enormous issue about where to locate all the extra Modules, Wiring and Batteries etc etc yak yak yak ;)

I would love to get to see the MB AMG One in the flesh and get all intimate with it's nooks and crannies to see exactly wot they did so different to other "lesser" manufacturers :unsure:

You'll need a newer SDS mate.

Good news, they do it in purple.
Purple Product Rectangle Violet Font

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
9,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,162 · (Edited)
How did you know where I am going for me holiday end of this month ?

:ROFLMAO:

Never say never Myk, an MB-AMG One may be well outta my reach, but a world cruise isn't ;) I can think of a far better holiday than a Cruise so there are other ways to skin that moggy, like rent for a couple of weeks and take it to Nordschleife, (shhhhhhhhh) :D
I'll bet someone in the UK Hire business has got their mitts on one, this bunch have access to a good fleet atm, SLR McLaren for the weekend anyone ?
Actually the AMG GTR Black Series is much better value IMO, although it would need a quick SDS session to remove the Speed Limiter :D :D :D

Also a lot of these companies rates are way better for a short term lease, a few of us could organise an SLK World "group hire" and go on a road trip :p

·
*Registered
Looking for an SLK
573 Posts
I have seriously looked at Hybrid technology, but the SLK's space limitations would give an enormous issue about where to locate all the extra Modules, Wiring and Batteries etc etc yak yak yak ;)
Gut the convertible top frame, and install batteries and other stuff in the empty space?

It's what Lexus did for their LC500. You can get it with normal gas engine and a convertible top, or a hardtop but with hybrid powertrain, but not both. The batteries takes up space where the convertible top would be.

·
*Registered
No SLK owned
395 Posts
Or sends begging letter to a particular lottery winner on that side of the pond😉
If I was the winner, I'd buy the car, hire Dave, and start a YouTube channel dedicated to Dave's shop tearing that car to pieces, to stuff it all into an old SLK. Wouldn't that be fun? I can already see the comments and hate mail pouring in. Whistling Diesel would have nothing on this little venture.

·
9,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,170 ·
or a hardtop but with hybrid powertrain, but not both.
TBH the whole point of an SLK is the VR ;) Be a bit pointless if it didn't have the Convertible Top ;) .........................

Now, my W203 C Class V6 Coupe ................... Well I hadn't thought of that, who all wants to start a crowd fund to buy an LC500 :D :D :D

·
9,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,174 ·

/\ /\ /\ That's more within my budget 🤣

·
9,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,177 ·
Devil Pipe / Devil / V12 CL job very quick update, cos it's Beer 'O' Clock !!

Should be recommissioning it tomorrow, all that's left is to fit the Pwr Steering and ABC Fluid Reservoir and fill with Fluids, re-connect Battery then fire it up and get the levels correct !! Once I'm happy all is well I can then do the last 2-3 hours refitting rear Exhaust System, Air Filter Box and Plastic Covers, then a good road test, re check everything and finally refit all the Undershields ;)

It's been a beast today, every naffin job turned into a mother :(

Continual swearing has now stopped, quick Coffee and wash mitts and off to the Hot Tub before Dinner ;)

TTFN ;)

·
9,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,178 ·
OK, the full "Devil Pipe Job" update from yesterday now my head is returned to normal service after it's trauma working on this particular beast yesterday ;)

Almost all back together for an initial start up and get fluids correct / check for issues, fingers are firmly crossed there aren't any issues :eek: ....

First job just the Fluid Reservoir to refit from this nicely diminished Pile ....

Then reconnect Battery, and initial fill / level the Coolant, Trans, PowerSteering and ABC and fire it up :D

Bits left to refit once it's been fired up and established good for a road test ....

Some welding and fabricating needed here before actually fitting the rear half Exhaust :( Two Hangers and the Bracket between the 2 Pipes need completely re fabricating new and welding on ....

Air Filter Box and Plastic Trims / Pipes under Bonnet

Then Road Test time, short one first, check all levels and for obvious leaks, then long road test and re inspect for leaks etc.

Assuming (yeah yeah I know) but assuming no issues related to this job, the penultimate job is to stick the plastic undershields back on ....

Finally send it back to it's proud owner and relieve him of the final payment :D :D :D

Wish me luck, if yesterday was owt to go by I just know it's gonna fight me somewhere along the line on this (hopefully) final push today 😭 ................................................................................................................................

·
9,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,179 ·
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ;)

I tightened the Track Rod Ends then put the front Wheels back on. I filled the Coolant Reservoir and kept topping it as it gradually dropped with bubbling air coming up.
I refitted the hydraulics Reservoir pack, filled the Power Steering to the absolute brim, filled ABC to almost brim, dipped Trans without running, yeah, it's got enough fluid for now.
I look underneath, not a solitary drip, so that's a good sign.

Connect the Battery, drop lift completely to get weight on the Wheels and then hopped in and turned the Key.

The old beast just fired up about 5 mins ago sadly even though it has no Silencers yet it did not sound like a Formula 1 Car, unlike that video I posted eons ago of the F1 Exhaust on a V12 S Class :(
I was expecting at least a bowel movement, but nah, sounds sweet, but the four Primary and 2 secondary CATs are killing the noise I was expecting, those F1 Exhausts use no CATs at all ;)

Anyways, lock to lock a few times with the Steering, ran it up and down the Gears and then cycled the ABC Suspension through high and low a few times, all working as it should, no messages or idiot lights on the dash. Drop suspension switch to the lowest setting so I can torque the 2 lower suspension bushes each side a lot easier when I lift it up again in a whiley.

At this point I give the throttle a few wee blips, nah, still not impressed with the noise, but yeah it's loud ;)
It's now warmed a tad and gone into closed loop fuelling and as it settles to idle I get a slight hunting, doggone darn it, it's never done that before, blip throttle, yeah slight hunting as it returns to idle :(

Switch it off and start looking underneath and under Bonnet for any fluid leaks, pleased to report no drips or owt. Then I spot what I'm almost certain is the reason for the little hunt as it drops to idle, Pipe to Canister Purge Valve still tied up outta the way, well thankfully that took all of 5 seconds to snip my cable tie and plug it in, hmmmmm un metered Air entering, yeah, almost certain that's my wee hunting issue ;)

So now a look around the Fluid levels again, all good enough for a prolonged idling session up to temperature to set Transmission level, bleed Cooling system and Rodeo the ABC whilst checking and topping off as necessary ;) Back tuit after Coffee break :)

I'll stuff it up in the Air, Trans Jack under each front Wheel and Torque those Bolts, then very thorough underside inspection for any weeps and drips, so then run it as above prolonged idling up to temp etc etc ;)

So far so good :)

·
9,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,180 · (Edited)
Almost done :D :D :D

Prolonged idling, revving, rodeo, top ups etc etc.
Air Box and plastic bits all on, Everything I set out to finish today is all done and barely a swear word uttered 🤣
All fluids now at correct level, Heater blowing hot, still no sign of any leaks and now the 2 Exhaust Hangers are fabricated and welded on, plus the rear half Exhaust is back on the car, the only bits left on the Workmate are the bolts for 3 plastic Undershields which will go on after road test tomorrow (y)

Plastic bits all done ....

No leaky drips on floor :) ....

Zorst re installed ....

Just the Undershield Bolts left, no unaccounted bits left over :p ....

One last task tomorrow morning is to fabricate and weld in the little cross brace between the 2 rear Silencer Pipes, easier to do that one now the Exhaust is completely hung and tightened up ;)

If I get my finger out tomorrow and Wednesday (finish the Citrooooooooen) I may well get Thursday to Monday on the D15KOE, get that set of Instruments all in and wired up etc.

I also wanna put the 2 new Shocks and Top Mounts on the rear of our AMG E Class Wagon before we go away at month end, that was the only job I didn't get done when it had it's epic huge Service, Brakes, Trans Service et al a whiley back.

3161 - 3180 of 3192 Posts