Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
3141 - 3160 of 3192 Posts

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
9,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,144 ·
Wot are ‘bear snacks’ Dave?
All my favourite treats that I shouldn't really eat, so I have a Bear Snacks Fest on a Friday night when I'm watching TV and get the munchies ;)
Stuff like good Ham, Chorizo, Choccy Ice Cream, Cheese, Salami, etc etc etc.

Munchies on the other 6 nights are confined to stuff like Chicken Balls, Sliced Chicken etc because it has no effect on my dietry requirements.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
2,637 Posts
All my favourite treats that I shouldn't really eat, so I have a Bear Snacks Fest on a Friday night when I'm watching TV and get the munchies ;)
Stuff like good Ham, Chorizo, Choccy Ice Cream, Cheese, Salami, etc etc etc.

Munchies on the other 6 nights are confined to stuff like Chicken Balls, Sliced Chicken etc because it has no effect on my dietry requirements.
Hmm. So I suppose a third of a bottle of Four Roses and some peanuts counts!

·
9,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,148 ·
Dave pronounces 'beer' as 'bear' 😀
Nah, it's not that simple.
I used to compete in Barefoot Waterskiing. My mates dubbed me as the Bear for many many of my antics as a younger guy.

When I met Mel and she met my mates she started calling me OB .......... Ol' Bear !!
She even has a Tattoo across her tummy of a small Bear in Barefoot Waterskiing position with spray coming backwards from his feet, and a Ski Handle with Line in his Paws the Ski Line is going across to the other side ;)

So the CL's proud owner called in as arranged for a first stage labour payment armed with a big wad of cash which equates almost to the labour so far. By this time I had reached that "EUREKA" moment, where Subframe was out, A/C Compressor out, Oil Cooler pipe from ABC Pump was off and Devil Pipe was completely removed and on the Workshop floor !!
So after much blethering about Cars and life plus several Coffees and relieving him of the cash, which has been set aside for the D15KOE's 2.2m Chassis section I was now full of renewed vigour for the job and started the reassembly yesterday arvo.

At this point we were at 20 hours so my guess on Friday was bang on. I foresee approx another chargeable 22 - 24 hours left to go as the Aux Belt and Tensioner / Idlers need doing plus a couple of rubber mounts for the Distribution Block, and the bits mentioned below. Total parts and labour will be circa £3100 - £3300 I guess.

REASSEMBLY IS A REVERSAL OF THE DISMANTLING PROCEDURE !!

Wot a load of cobblers :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I suppose it will loosley kinda sort of a reversal ...............

Not forgetting I have some other jobs to do as well when more parts arrive, plus fabricate a couple of Exhaust Hangers and weld em on, extract the rusted in halves of about ten M8 Exhaust Flange Joint Bolts that I had to cut in half to get the Exhaust stripped off, fill up and bleed PAS, ABC, Coolant and Transmission top up etc etc etc yak yak yak ;)

Since I got this far without calamity or major destruction I have found a few things that would have made the strip down easier, such as I refitted the Trans Cooler Pipes BEFORE refitting Subframe, will do the same with the Starter in a short while !!

So latest update :-

I'll go through the routing of Devil Pipe, I started by threading the new Pipe assembly over the Bell Housing ....

Next I threaded the Pump Damper Accumulator up to the left Cylinder Head front area and popped the Banjo Fitting into the Pump, left slightly loose whilst lowered Car and bolted the Pump Damper Accumulator to the Cylinder Head ....

Banjo Fitting bottom centre of pic ....

Down behind the AC Pump and between / around the ABC Oil Cooler return Pipe ....

Bolt goes through Accumulator Block and A/C back bolt ....

Routing along left Cylinder Bank and up 'n' over Bell Housing ....

Down the right side of Bellhousing ....

Now the metal Pipe loops under the Bellhousing, does a sharp U turn and returns to the right side of Chassis where the Flexi Pipe joins onto the Distribution Block and its Accumulator ....

I've also already re fitted the Starter Motor Cables and the upper Bellhousing bolts, lifted the Transmission up and refitted all 8 Transmission Saddle Bolts, each Bolt left a half a turn loose loose so they can align exactly where they wanna go when Subframe is back in and Engine Mounts relocated. Also refitted Trans Oil Cooler Pipes, which was a whole bunch easier without the Subframe in, as will be Starter Motor and a few other bits.

So, Today I will be refitting Starter, Subframe, Steering Rack, bolt up Engine Mounts and Trans Saddle, and then see how the time cracks on, if any spare time I'll start more reassembly starting with Propshaft ..........................

TBC ;)

Chow fer now :p

·
9,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,150 · (Edited)
Cash money becomes a good motivator sometimes!
Certainly is, it's getting paid into the business, because D15KOE is a business vehicle used for towing, but because earnings have been way better second half year, and because I took this huge job on, I can now afford to go dump a couple of grand into the D15KOE and get more pro-active work underway.

Starter, Heat Shield, Subframe and Steering Rack all refitted, Starter tested using Jump Pack, so first job tomorrow is to drop the Engine off the Beam and bolt up the Mountings, which currently have 4" long M8's through Subframes Mount receptacles into their threads so I know they will drop in perfectly as I lower the Motor off the Beam.

The two Lower Arms each side also have their Bolts installed, just need torquing up as do Track Rod Ends and Trans Saddle Bolts. 4hrs added to the labour bill today :D

I've 'ad enuf of the illegitimate V12 CL today, so Beer and Hot Tub is beckoning B4 Dinner ;)

·
9,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,153 ·
lol, just thought as I was still up you might as well be :D

I was having trouble getting the new phone to log onto SLK World, I've got rid of the google and got it on Firefox & BT Email now, so it's been a bit of a slog but most stuff is working now ;)

I finally worked out where I went wrong with the last 2 smart phones I ended up giving away, you have to leave the google on it until you get everything working on Firefox, then you can get rid ;)

·
9,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,154 ·
:ROFLMAO: Guess who got locked out of his PayPal for 24 hrs, cos I have uber secure p/w's for Financial stuff and I couldn't remember it to enter on the new Phone :ROFLMAO:

Thankfully I didn't have to wait 24 hrs as I phoned Pay Pal Concierge and after answering a few questions, like the name of my first dog, (Michelle 🤣 ), etc etc I am now back in and no passwords were harmed in the making of this production 🙃 🙃 🙃

So I've now actually joined the 21st Century and can actually do way more than just make calls and send texts on my new Samsung Android Phone (y)

Got an 'orrible Citroen in this week as well as finish the CL when the rest of the bits arrive. Pre MOT and also Service, so I checked it over and surprisingly good, except Airbag Light On .

Citroen / Peugeot Lexia machine says passenger side Pre Tensioner permanent code, so out with the Seat and do some basic testing, PT itself is showing 2.2 Ohms, which is right, but the plug was in tight, wiring looks like the old boy's wee dog got under the seat and ate it, that's as far as I got so far.

AFAIK the dog didn't get deployed with a big BANG! whilst eating the wiring :ROFLMAO:

Who all is following "Richard Hamsters Workshop" on Discovery+ ?
More to the point who all reckons that will end up going skint ? ................ If it is indeed a genuine business, which to all intents and purposes it looks like it is ;)

Bloomin freezin' 'ere, so early shoot 2day ;)

L8r's

·
9,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,156 · (Edited)
Mercedes-AMG One Breaks Nürburgring Record With 6:35 Lap

The Formula 1-powered Hybrid Supercar is now the quickest production car to lap the Green Hell (y)

Vehicle Car Grille Automotive parking light Automotive lighting

The lap record was hammered just 15 days ago on October 28th :)
It took place on a chilly Autumn day and parts of the track were still not completely dry.

Just like when Sabine hammered Clarkson, the AMG One beauty absolutely mullered the previous Lap Record set by the Porsche GT2 RS MR by taking out over 8, yes EIGHT seconds * off the Lap Record :D :D :D

Nürburgring 24 hr winner and DTM Competitor ( Maro Engel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maro_Engel ) said afterwards :-

“I didn’t expect that we would be able to set such a lap time with these track conditions. In some crucial areas of the track, it hadn’t dried completely yet and was therefore tricky. That was a special challenge. We tried to find the optimal deployment strategy during the pre-tests. Like Lewis Hamilton and George Russell on their race weekends, I also had to deploy the electrical energy of the hybrid drive in the best possible way. That’s not easy, especially with this length of track. In addition, the DRS function had to be used optimally."

The AMG One is as close to a modern Formula 1 car you can get for the road. Underneath the body sits a drive-train derived from the one found in the company's F1 cars. That means a mid-mounted, 11,000-rpm turbocharged V6 Engine paired to an Electric Motor, sending power to the rear Wheels via a seven-speed sequential Transmission and a limited-slip Differential. There are also two 120-kW Electric Motors up front, one for each Wheel. Also don't forget the active Aero bits all around the Body.

* Worth mentioning the AMG One's lap record was recorded based on the Nürburgring's new style of measuring lap times therefore it actually took way more outta the "Porker" :D :D :D ....

The traditional track layout, used prior to 2021, had cars entering and exiting the track at different places, omitting the small straight that comes after Turn 13. Under the Nürburgring's new "official" method of recording lap times, which uses a single Start/Finish line and includes that small straight, the AMG One set a 6:35 lap time.

If you went by the old method of recording times, the car would've set a 6:30.705 lap time.

Stick that up yer pipe and smoke it Porker luvvers :p

Hmmmmmm, I just got offered a new Credit Card limit :ROFLMAO:

·
9,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,159 · (Edited)
Ah, and for Dave's next SLK swap...
I have seriously looked at Hybrid technology, but the SLK's space limitations would give an enormous issue about where to locate all the extra Modules, Wiring and Batteries etc etc yak yak yak ;)

I would love to get to see the MB AMG One in the flesh and get all intimate with it's nooks and crannies to see exactly wot they did so different to other "lesser" manufacturers :unsure:

·
9,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,160 ·
Demo is well outta the question, they only built 275 and all are pre sold now 😭 ......................... $2.72 m :ROFLMAO:

3141 - 3160 of 3192 Posts