Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
2901 - 2920 of 2949 Posts

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
8,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,901 ·
It fits, it's in the 'ole, some tidying up and touch ups around the woodwork plus relocate the outside light tommoz, plus install the glass and heel and toe it, then that's that lousy job done ;)

Hopefully I'll have it all done by tomorrow night, then at least I can do some more work on the silver SLK ;)

·
8,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,902 · (Edited)
Finally finished the darned Door today, heeling and toeing the glass was way more involved than it needed to be because the morons that supplied the whole chebang gave me a packet of spacers that were all the same size !! Also after fitting the Beads around the inside of the Glass, actually making a pro job of installing the rubber sealing strip all the way around the beads to glass was challenging and involved much foul language too :mad:

I ended up having to make my own spacers for the top outer corner to get it correct, plastic filler spreaders cut to size worked like a charm :ROFLMAO:

I re stained the immediate area around the door too, so now it looks like I will have to re stain the whole cabin, yeah, it hasn't been done since the darned thing was built 13 years ago, and is really needing doing, so will try and find the time to do that before winter, along with the ever growing list of jobs "to do" all around the place and the cars 🙃

·
8,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,904 ·
makes the windows look a bit naff now ;)
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I couldn't agree more (y)

I know it was said in jest, but sadly there are very bitter memories for both Mel and I for a gazillion reasons ;)
Now, I totally agree, I am my own worst enemy, I am responsible for most of the hassle I end up with because by and large I am too easy going for my own good, and therefore I rarely stamp my foot with a firm NO, I also have a habit of jumping into things feet first which often ends badly for myself !!

Y'all really don't wanna know the whole sorry story of when / why and what happened when I agreed to build this Cabin many moons ago, nor the strife and hassles that immediately descended upon us during and since ;) It is entirely my fault for being far too easy going for the sake of peace and harmony, so read that as I made a very grave error of judgement way back when ;) .............

So here is the brief story with an advisory to never build anything for anyone and especially family without getting a signed agreement regarding specs, agreed payments and maintenance responsibilities etc. There was much verbal agreement which was long since renaged upon ................

The whole goddam chebang was built by myself with almost no useful help from any other, excepting a fair bit of "Diggering" involving landfill and levelling work by a local mate who owed me a favour.

So what should have been a 3 month 7 days a week project, from starting the plot, (groundworks / drains / services / concreting etc) to a fully finished and habitable Cabin) was turned into almost a 12 month project, (verbally agreed minimal labour charge that was never paid) :(
Most of that was caused by constant spec changes and an insistence of buying the cheapest of the cheap materials, fixtures and fittings etc etc including the Doors and Windows.

My own and the Cabin Kit suppliers recommendations were almost all ignored. It should have had all the Windows and Doors the same spec as this new Door, but oh no, the powers that be back then insisted on cheaping out !!
Those "powers that be" were also advised at inception of the necessity to have any Log Cabin's exterior wood refinished every 3 - 4 years, and again initially agreed to it but then refused to spend the money on maintenace as the years passed.

This side entry door was absolutely fubar by early this year and hence needed replacement. The windows are solid, functional and double glazed so they can stay that way for the forseeable future.

Right now it is doubtful that MIL will be returning anyways, but as it is, it is still standing up, structurally and internally sound, and now likely becoming mine & Mel's responsibility to maintain it, so I will have to do more essential maintenance soon, the most important issue being it should have been re-stained years ago so is now in urgent need of a repaint :(

If I had my way I'd take great pleasure in levelling the bloody thing, burn all the remnants and then extend our house outwards onto that plot, if we ever win the lottery we both agree that will happen 🤣

All water under the bridge now, but still an old 'war wound' with the aforementioned resentment that springs up every so often.
Meanwhile it looks like we may well just gut it and refurb it so there is a nice little self contained place for family / friends to stay in if they wish to when they visit us :ROFLMAO:

·
8,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,907 ·
Make a nice little 'Airbnb' to get some money back but I doubt you would want tourists that close 😄
Mind, that being said you could offer a 'Sleep and service' option for all those of us that would like you to work on our cars:rolleyes:
That's a terrific idea (y) Do we get to choose a courtesy car? could it be a blue one by any chance? :cool:
I could soon sort ya'll an old Blue base model Vauxhall Corsa / Nissan Micra 1.0 (y) 🤣

It's a big single storey Cabin, 2 double Bedrooms, Toilet / Basin & big Shower room, separate Toilet too, plus open plan Lounge / Diner / Kitchen and the exterior Veranda / Decking area ;)
At one point during all the hassle many years ago just before completion, I was actually pondering living in it meself and leaving MIL and FIL in the Hoose with poor Mel :ROFLMAO:

From an extra income point of view I have suggested that ideally we should long term lease it out to a quiet, retired, healthy and single self sufficient person who would sit on the Veranda painting pictures or fishing on the beach etc. Could easily put it's own little driveway and parking space in, and boundary fence off our rear land, the Cabin has South (Lochside) facing front double Doors with Decking / Veranda accessing to the path down to the loch. But Mel doesn't do sound and easy financial decisions and wants to keep it for family and friends ;)

B&B wise Mel and I "don't do" total strangers though and wouldn't want the hassles of B&B / Holiday lets although they are a big earner up here ;)

Time will tell wot happenz next, hopefully it will all come out right soon, we are just both completely exhausted atm with all the big changes taking place right now to try and achieve the right outcome for poor old MIL and our personal retirement / financial plans too.

It's looking up compared to the last few harrowing and sleepless weeks (y)

·
**Premium Member 2014 SLK200
4,208 Posts
I think almost everyone has some kind of story that goes along like this one. I know I have one or two of my own. So often, if we're honest, we find that our own big mouth was the genesis of the problem. Always seems so simple, sensible and kind at the time.
So true, but then we are human - well most of us 😄

·
*Premium Member
2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
3,598 Posts
I could soon sort ya'll an old Blue base model Vauxhall Corsa / Nissan Micra 1.0 (y) 🤣
:ROFLMAO:

That's not what I had in mind BUT I did have (sshhh) a Saxo Diesel for a year 🤷‍♂️
It was ridiculous really as it was given to me in exchange for a days work plus I got paid as well, parked the thing anywhere and ppl stayed well clear unlike the MB's which seem to be idiot magnets - add 70mpg and they start to make some sort of sense .. albeit a little embarrassing initially :p

·
8,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,912 · (Edited)
Don't hold yer breath just yet ......................

Following on from post #2902 above .......................

I am currently up to me ears in sorting out various huge life issues for myself and Mel, plus MIL in hospital and all the fall out that is surfacing from that :(

So I'm slowly munching my way through only to find more issues surface just around the corner, and that is in between constant 70 mile round trips to a Hospital and also what started as an Entry Door replacement now looks like an almost total external refurb on our Log cabin that MIL has lived in for the last 13 years ..............

Basically I need to replace 7 of the wooden Windows ( @Windinmyhair :p ), i.e. both sides and the rear walls, re-stain all the exterior wood, (3 coats at least), and also replace 1/4 of the Roof Tiles, which has all gotta be done right now before the weather breaks into Winter again. 😭 😭 😭

We are also unable to find a vacancy for MIL in a care home, which means that the understaffed hospital with lack of beds may send her home soon, so the Cabin is #1 priority right now 🙃

I have to do some paying work too, although thankfully in the next 2 to 3 weeks, (assuming everything we signed up for yesterday goes through within the time frame they quoted), I can then slow down on work a little as our outgoings will reduce significantly, so will our current stress levels ....................

This my friends is why all my Cars now have work needed and 4 of them are unfinished projects.

BTW, yesterday I found out exactly how fast the AMG E Class Wagon goes when absolutely flat out, (not on public roads of course occifer :p ner-ner ner-ner-ner :p) .............. Lets just say it needs the Speed Limiter removed as it has plenty more to give :D :D :D

·
8,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,915 ·
My post was mainly just to kick your thread,
Cheers Neil, hey yeah I got that (y) (y) (y)

No more moles to whack.
That sums things up in a nutshell Myk, as soon as we see light at the end of the Tunnel, then that tunnel gets extended.

OK, the positive side is that Cabin badly needed doing, but at the end of the day it is ours so let's just get it up to top condition ;)

I did some more stain today, have left the Windows, because they will be scrapped, and then the centre vertical bar will be coming out of the Frames and the new UPVC Double glazed units will fit inside those existing frames so = less work for moi :)

My biggest issue is I hate Painting, but I spent a couple of hours this afternoon and have now got a bit more done, the most urgent is this side and the front because that gets the Sun all day long and also the rainwater due to the usual prevailing wind direction ;)

Clickable pic ....

The way those windows look is almost the same as the rest :(

Y'all can see the temporary repair (green felt and battens) on this west side front half of the roof, which was done about 10 years ago when some of the Shingles blew off, so that lot has gotta be ripped off and a bunch of new shingles laid up :rolleyes:

·
*Administrator (Premium Member)
42,084 Posts
I got a mole for him to whack....it's a strangely shaped mole though. Stands up like a human. Talks like one too. Claims to be descended from MIL. Very odd looking mole though.

So Dave?
He might try a different whack though, a la Chicago or Vegas style.

2901 - 2920 of 2949 Posts