Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
2881 - 2900 of 2941 Posts

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
8,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,881 ·
I couldn't make this cow dung up !! .........................

Had a lady booked her Car in, it should have been left here late last eve for today, Brakes all round and a few other jobs, nice earner, good customer, they have a farm and I do all their Vehicles !!

I just called her to see why no Car ...................

Turns out she had a minor collision on the Glenelg road whilst on her way over with the car :cry:
A tourist came round corner in a Camper Van and straight into her :(

Thankfully she is ok, and the Car is possibly repairable as it doesn't sound like it was too hard a hit, but she had to get towed as Bumper and Wing was rubbing tight on the Tyre.

·
*Registered
Looking for an SLK
485 Posts
Might be sacrilege on this forum dedicated to SLK....but since it's a hairdresser competing car to Mazda Miata (MX-5)....I think the SLK (R172) is inferior to the Miata. In other words, Mazda Miata is the superior car.

Been driving a 2018 ND MX-5 for a couple days now, and I gotta say, that car is amazing. As a sports car, it is fantastic. Steering, handling, response, feedback, ease of maintenance, ease of repairs, cost of repairs, cost of purchase, gas mileage efficiency, etc....all superior.

Now, it does have its downside. R172 is more comfortable. Pliable suspension, you'd have to step up to Sport suspension or AMG variants to get same handling. More comfortable seats. AC that doesn't suck. More cool toys available (parking sensor, backup camera, distronic, etc...). Base model R172 likely makes more power and is faster 0-60 than Miata, and it only goes up.

With that said, I still think the Miata is the superior hairdresser car. :devilish:

ducks

·
8,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,885 ·
I dunno wot Mazda Hairdresser cars you get in USA, but I've driven a fair few and I'll put my R170 V8 against one any day, not just performance, but features, finish, handling, comfort, etc etc etc, in fact I'd go so far as to say I'd put my Silver V6 car against one too :p :p :p :ROFLMAO:

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
399 Posts
From my personal experience
Acura before 2000 - well engineered
Benz before 2020 - over engineered
Mazda before 2018 - just engineered
Mitsubishi - sorta ok sell off early
Volvo - safe and keep fixing it

Of them all … when i service the benz and touch everything … stuff is solid … cap to strut
All others except maybe the older 95 acura the stuff is just there and barely so

jmho

·
*Registered
Looking for an SLK
485 Posts
I dunno wot Mazda Hairdresser cars you get in USA, but I've driven a fair few and I'll put my R170 V8 against one any day, not just performance, but features, finish, handling, comfort, etc etc etc, in fact I'd go so far as to say I'd put my Silver V6 car against one too :p :p :p :ROFLMAO:
Well yeah, you're comparing a R170 with bigger engines and your R170 with a V8, so of course the Miata loses.

I was comparing 4 pot ND Miata to 4 pot R172, or NC 4 pot to R171 4 pot, and so on.

·
8,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,888 ·
MB Included I have never understood any mfr putting 4 pots in anything that is supposed to be high performance :ROFLMAO:

The American saying :-

There is no substitute for Cubic Inches

The only reason my V8 R170 got the tuned 5.0 V8 was because I couldn't get a decent M113 5.4 Kompressor V8 donor in UK for less than £17k :D :D :D

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
*Registered
Looking for an SLK
485 Posts
Until a rod gets kicked into stratosphere....400 hp on a 2.0 4 cylinder means turbo boost is at minimum 2 bar.

That's pretty well into racecar territory, so hopefully the block is stout enough.

We know EA888 can handle roughly around 450 at crank before upgrades are required, but that's mostly due to the stupidly massive main bearings (for the size) and overbuilt block gridle. Time will tell if the M139 is anything like EA888.... 100 hp over stock, I'd believe it. 150+ and up, I strongly doubt it.

·
8,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,891 ·
Until a rod gets kicked into stratosphere....400 hp on a 2.0 4 cylinder means turbo boost is at minimum 2 bar.

That's pretty well into racecar territory, so hopefully the block is stout enough.

We know EA888 can handle roughly around 450 at crank before upgrades are required, but that's mostly due to the stupidly massive main bearings (for the size) and overbuilt block gridle. Time will tell if the M139 is anything like EA888.... 100 hp over stock, I'd believe it. 150+ and up, I strongly doubt it.
/\ /\ /\ exactly this

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
399 Posts
Until a rod gets kicked into stratosphere....400 hp on a 2.0 4 cylinder means turbo boost is at minimum 2 bar….
some of the m133 mod nuts are past 2.6bar … some recent brave souls were hunting down 50psi (3.4bar) gauges as they kept running up against a 40. The m133 is pretty tough with its forged internals etc etc etc and the m133/724.x combo seems happy up to 500/500 without snapping stuff. of course no data on the m139 though its going into the sl and c amg lines so maybe they think it will hold up too

the alpha cla45 was at 454/491 and held some records way back in 2016 … not too shabby

·
*Registered
Looking for an SLK
485 Posts
Well, MB copied the Honda fanboys on the injectors, at least. Honda boys with D15/K20/K24 and a turbo massive enough to process small children use staged injectors. Low rpm, low boost, one bank injectors fire. High rpm, high boost, second bank of injectors a little upstream of the first set injectors fire.

M139 now has direct and port side injection, just like Toyota! However, unlike Toyota, the port side injectors only come on at high rpm high boost....exactly like the track beasts that Honda boys build.

Should be fun to troubleshoot misfires at high rpm when these cars become 10 year old.... :rolleyes:

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
399 Posts
oh my goodness …

then you may appreciate the even older days of a b18c with a garrett turbo and a live laptop mapper
those were some good times of 2 sets of slicks a weekend and “what ferrari?” drive by’s
i dunno how we survived

one guy got articled about his 500hp gen2 teg that thing was insane on and off the track

if you want sacrilegious stuff a turbo vtec in a r172 somehow

that said i may still prefer an amg v8 for the germaness of it … heh … just wish its not such an act of congress to have a laptop as my passenger so i can muck with it and do real time gentle tweaks after some winols sessions

nah … forget it getting too old maybe …

·
8,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,897 ·
Well that's the new Log Cabin Door built into it's framework and frame pieces all stained prior to assembly ....

The structural aperture has to be enlarged H & W to fit the upgrade Aluminium Door and it's ally Frame assembly which is then mounted into a Wood Frame to allow for the Logs expanding and contracting seasonally ;) I think I have reached the point of no return now :eek: ....

Best be hoping I measured it all correctly :ROFLMAO:

·
**Premium Member 2014 SLK200
4,204 Posts
Well that's the new Log Cabin Door built into it's framework and frame pieces all stained prior to assembly ....

The structural aperture has to be enlarged H & W to fit the upgrade Aluminium Door and it's ally Frame assembly which is then mounted into a Wood Frame to allow for the Logs expanding and contracting seasonally ;) I think I have reached the point of no return now :eek: ....

Best be hoping I measured it all correctly :ROFLMAO:
That's what expanding foam is for.............

·
*Registered
Looking for an SLK
485 Posts
Measure twice...
Cut once 🤞
Nah I like my way better. Measure 12 billion times, have an accident while cutting, panic a little bit, try to budge together some diy hack super glue, measure onety one billion times, cut properly, then find out that you've measured incorrectly, give up, buy the completed part, install it and call it done. 👍

2881 - 2900 of 2941 Posts