Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
2861 - 2880 of 2889 Posts

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,861 ·
Bummer, I thought I was having a quiet day today before a long (700 mile) drive tonight :mad:

Mel and I are going away, leaving tonight, away until next Tuesday and whilst checking the Car over / Oil and Filter Change etc yesterday evening I found a small Coolant leak on the W212 AMG E Class Wagon, we will be racking up roughly 2000 miles around 700 miles from home so I need to fix the bugger before we leave tonight :cry:

We are collecting the new Door and bits for MIL's Log Cabin whilst away, 2m x 1m space needed, sadly the D15KOE doesnt have 2m long in the back so that's that ruled out, I did carefully measure him in desperation last night, but I'm not about to remove all the rear seats outta the D2, they are likely more of a pain to get out than the job I now gotta do today on the E Class 😭

Ever since I bought the car it has always needed about 500ml Coolant top up every couple of thousand miles, but despite pressure testing it etc etc I've never been able to find the damned leak until last night !!

Thankfully I have the part here to fix it, just taken it off a good spare Engine I bought a way back, but it is a helluva lot of work so from now I may not get back on here until next Tuesday when we return ;)

It turns out MB are aware of this issue, the Fuel Filter Holder is plastic, also heats / cools the Fuel, but now it appears to have got worse I actually found it and then because I knew what to search for I found this ;) ....

Notice that the guy doesn't show all the hassle getting the underside EGR Cooler Bolts out, nor half the other bits I gotta take off first 🤣

These 2 are the Car at 9.00 am this morning, believe me it's a lot harder to get the parts off with Engine in the car ....

The spare Engine that I've just stripped the part off ....

This one is the good used part, and it has been replaced on that spare Engine at some point, the infamous Red pen shows it's good around the lower edge, where the Video points out the failure area ....

Now I realise it actually makes sense to hoard all the parts I have laying around :D :D :D

·
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,864 ·
At this point you're going to basically strip the replacement engine down to bare blocks to repair the original.....
Not quite, I started at 7 am this Morning and had the part off by 8 am, but the spare Engine is sat on the floor and hasn't got the plastic encased wiring loom all around the top, nor the left inner wing in the way.

The biggest pig is the bottom centre E10 Torx Bolt holding the EGR Cooler, and I wasn't sure if the spare part was any good, so I stripped that off first ;)

Thankfully it was replaced as it has the later part number, and so I'm off right now to strip the car and replace it !!

Plan B was gonna be chuck this in it ....

.... But really reeeeeeeeealy didn't want to do that, and take 10 litres of water an 5 litres of A/Freeze just in case it got worse. It was topped up 2 weeks ago and still on level, but last night when doing Vehicle check I could see drippys underneath the car so I looked further ...................

Plan C if anything else unforeseen happens when I strip it is to go beg my mate Bruce for a shot of his brand new AMG Vito Van the next few days :ROFLMAO:

Right, I really must go now, gotta pick Mel up at 2pm, hopefully in the bloody E Class :D :D :D

·
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,865 ·
Well, I must have had too many of these in bits in the past, all stripped down, 2 hours flat and I haven't broke any clippys nor dropped any bolts !!

I will clean the coolant crud up after a quick lunch and should have it finished early evening, as I gotta go get Mel at 2pm ;)

It's been weeping a fair old while, not just the seal area, which is slightly damaged, but also one of the wee coolant hose stubs was broken up inside the hose, and get this, I just looked through it's history, it was replaced by MB dealers when the first owner had it, at 2 years old, and they fitted the wrong one, only had 2 bolt holes not 3 !!

Bloomin' Engine destruct ticking time bomb this was, I'm glad I decided to do it before heading off, just wish I'd had more time last week to get it checked over and serviced :ROFLMAO:

I recon they also cracked that hose stub when they did it :rolleyes:

Clickable Pixels :-

All stripped down ....

Notice the 3 bolt holes in the Cylinder head Coolant Outlet ....

The one off the Car ....

Broken Hose Stub in centre of pic ....

The good used one with 3 bolt holes and good hose stubs off the spare Engine ....

Back tuit, at least it is getting done properly this time ;)

·
*Registered
Looking for an SLK
418 Posts
Project stalled for the moment, too busy running around fixing stuff. Since my last post I drove like 6 different cars and I also had to give back the CLA45, so had to dismantle the can analyzer from it. Been driving 911, Audi TT, GTI, MX-5, Highlander, 320i, C250....so I can't exactly tap into any of them and collect meaningful data and then compile a XML database before having to give back the car. They're all different.

I believe it will take a while until I get either my 335d or E300 back, that's when I'll start tapping and collecting data. Can analyzer works, it was due to the extremely poor chinese documentation that I couldn't figure it out. I had to watch a video that was entirely in chinese to figure out how to make the anaylzer tick. But now it works and it does pull CAN chatter.

I've already planned which CAN line I'm going to tap in either E300 or 335d -- the E300 the closest CAN line is in the instrument cluster, and at that point it's beyond trivial to just pull the cluster, tap into the CAN line with T taps and then just have the wire stick out from either the cluster or the bottom of the kick panel and feed into the laptop. 335d has the JBE acting as a router/gateway, but there are so many sources of CAN taps that I'm literally spoiled for choice. There's the cluster, there's the CAS module in the kick panel, there's the footrest module, radio, climate control module (oddly enough), and perhaps the easiest/closest sources....the seat control module under the seat. For some arcane reason, the seat control module is also on the same network as the KI or DME. T tap and away I go.

But that means I have to get the car back in the first place, that is. First, gotta get the GTI finished and out, I'm tired of driving that POS vehicle....aftermarket everything, including aftermarket air suspension. And the previous owner put track shocks on it, so the car literally bounces when going over tar snakes, nevermind basic things like road undulation or dead flies on the road. It's truly awful.

On other hand, this car has a 5k air suspension kit installed, I'm trying to get the used car lot to remove the kit and install conventional struts/springs, so I can yoink the kit and see if I can do something about it. :D

·
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,869 ·
I must have had too many of these in bits in the past, all stripped down, 2 hours flat and I haven't broke any clippys nor dropped any bolts !!
I spoke too soon big update on what happened ........................

We're back, got home at around 4:30 am today (Monday) ;)

So aside from being an awkward hassle job on the E Class, that coolant leak repair went pear shaped and turned into a right load of aggro job.

So before I went to pick Mel from work, I got the new housing / water elbow bolted on and the hoses back on.
Got back around 3:30 pm with Mel, who was then packing our bags etc, and before fitting EGR Cooler I filled it with Antifreeze carefully until I could see the Elbow was full of coolant and then had Coffee, and checked no weeping around it's joint with the Cyl Head ............... Perfick :)

So now I refit all the EGR Cooler, Hoses, Wiring, Vacuum Chamber etc etc all done by about 5pm, and start to fill with coolant with Engine running, yup all good, no leaks and eventually got the Air from the HVAC so it starts blowing hot, topped off Coolant and left it running whilst refitting all the undershields and top side plastics etc.

Checked Coolant, level fine. double checked Oil (changed the day before), level fine, topped off Screenwash and upped rear Tyre Pressures for the forthcoming load, time for a road test, sounds sweet as a nut.

Well I gently pull outta my drive, few hundred yards outta the 40 limit and nail it ................

Flat as a fart, wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding, it's definitely in limp, Engine MIL on, a few hundred yards more and I turn round at the village hall and drive it home accompanied by much cussing.

Quick read of Motor ECU "Boost Pressure too low" ...............

Yeah that doesn't surprise me but now I know what's coming, the Vaccuum Boost Actuator Solenoid Valve is underneath a load of the bits I just put back, I bet one of the pipes has split or pulled off even though I was uber careful ..............

So I think I've had enuf of this now, I'll pop down my mates and ask if I can borrow his Van for the trip ............. Oh no I won't, he's obviously away, (in Canada so it turns out) AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH 😭

Back home, stripped it back down, Solenoid off and bench test it with Vac and Voltage, Air, etc all works fine, Vac test all the Pipes nothing wrong there, EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WTF is going on ??????????????????

I have nothing to lose, chuck it back together, I know that Solenoid was working before, haven't even touched the darned thing !!

More foul language later, start her up, clear code, drive it up the road, sweet as a nut, pulling like a train again !!

It's now 8pm and I gotta remove the rear Headrests and roller Blind, fold the Seats, line it all with an old Blanket, load in the wooden cage I made to stop the Door Glass getting broken in transit, then shower, change, dinner and it's gone 10pm :mad:And we're off !! With 5lt of coolant and 5lt Water in the back too I'm nervously confident ;)

Car drove like a dream, probably psycological but it feels a bit sweeter now ;)

I'm watching the Dash like a hawk, temp rock steady at 90c, no messages, and I'm starting to trust it and give it some welly now, wanna get there early and get some shut eye in the Car before the Log Cabin firm open at 9am Friday so I can collect the new Door, Frame and Glass for the Log Cabin.

Just as we get near the Border, I hear "bing bing bing" from the Dash and a yellow message appears in the pitch black night, at this point I'm just about to blow a fuse as I focus my tired eyes on the display .......................................

"Attention Assist Please Take a Break" together with the wee coffee cup icon :coffee: ...............

Take a break !! Yeah right, so I cancel that message :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

We arrive in Evesham about 5:00 am, some good going that, by now I haven't slept since I got up at 6 am on Thursday Morning 🤣 I drive around the Industrial Estates etc for a while looking for a wee "early doors Transport Caff etc to get a Coffee and Breakfast, nah, nada / zip, sweet naff all :( :( :(
So Mel and I park in a layby just up the road and grab a couple of hours broken sleep ;)

After collecting MIL's new Door for the Log Cabin there was horrendous traffic / roadworks / accident / trees cutting on lousy A40, but once onto the M40 the hammer was down again and the majority of our journey was uneventful by the time we got to Nathans at around 2:30 pm on the Friday ;)

I then parked up the Car and straight at the Beers, I was half pie eyed by the time they both got in from work, and had already walked round to the local Co-Op to buy more beer lol, a trip which ended up repeated a few times as we progressed our w/e away :D :D :D

So despite the fact that we got drunk and barbecuing Friday afternoon / evening by the time I got to bed late on Friday I had had almost no kip for about 42 hours.
I slept well :D

Then Mel and I spent a really great w/e with them, we really didn't actually want to leave, but we had to head off and drove back just after 7pm last night (Sunday) arrived back at 4:30 ish this morning.

A few hours sleep and then I been all day unloading and Valeting the Car inside and out, couldn't see the front number plate or bumper for splattered bugs, and so it's back to work tommoz ;)

Car driving perfectly, despite my lead foot it averaged 40.8 MPG over the whole round trip.

Best guess .............. despite me always being careful, a tiny bit of dirt made the Solenoid Valve stick ....................
IDK, but its fine now, and the slight coolant leak / ticking time bomb is now fixed !!

I'm very busy this week so still mightn't be about much until I get back in the swing of stuff, got a bloomin Door to install now too, and it turns out that that needs the Structural Opening in the Logs making larger too as the Door / Frame design is different :(

TTFN :)

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
380 Posts
holy moly good lord dave such a trek
wait … 40mpg … thats your e class right?
our e class across the pond dont sip gas like that
please forgive me but just wanna sanity check
so yours gets 40mi every 4.546L? (uk gal)
good grief thats pretty efficient compared to the guzzlers we get … most pals e’s get like 22-25mi per us gal if they are lucky

·
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,874 ·
so yours gets 40mi every 4.546L? (uk gal)
Yes, 40.8 mpg every UK gallon over approx 1700 miles, some of which was stuck in ze Engerleesh traffic ;)

Long term averages, i.e since we've had it, it averages 38.2, and that's mostly a daily 8 miles there and 8 miles back "Mel Commute" ;)
When I take it over to my mates on East Highlan coast I can get it down to ~ 32 mpg as no Scameras :D :D :D

This car is a proper AMG version, not just Body, Trim and Wheels etc, it actually has factory option codes 35A, A66, A98, G908, M104, which are AMG upgrades for various Transmission improvements inc software, and also AMG Engine mapping ;) The options on the Datacard is 3 pages full, more than most Maybach's :ROFLMAO: ..............

It's a rocket ship in Sheeps clothing, so rarely gets driven on full throttle, because it cruises well into driving ban territory, and in England at least, due to all the Scameras one is best to stick to 98 mph on CC :ROFLMAO:

100 mph = ~ 2450 rpm and one of those options is a Torque Converter upgrade. I have Customers with W212 250 CDI Cars that are positive snails compared to this one, and also the Twin Turbo 250 CDI's are always quicker real world than the bigger V6 CDI's because the 4 cylinder has a small and a large turbo, so is boosting hard off idle, where the V6 design constraints mean it only has one chuffin' great turbo in the centre rear of the V Valley ;) :D The V6 CDI is an Autobahn Mile Muncher, but then again mine doesn't do a bad job of that either 🙃

The Polish PO who had it from new used to do regular runs from Surrey to Poland and always had MB E Class wagons, he just traded it in for another brand new one when it was 5 years old and I absolutely stole it off the Dealership during lockdown because they weren't selling, I could double my money on it now but love it too much ;)

·
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,876 ·
If only :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Deplore

·
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,878 ·
I actually mean "Unlucky Dave" would be more appropriate right now :(

• Love
Reactions: Deplore and M4rCu5

·
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,880 · (Edited)
Well, that's Lucky Dave had 2 more jobs cancelled this week because the owners can't afford the repairs, and this morning the D15KOE decided to throw a hissy fit and put it's ABS and Hill Descent Lights on, Left Front ABS Sensor .............. Errrrrrrrrrrm wait a cotton picking moment, I replaced all 4 with Genuine LR Wheel Bearing / Hubs complete with ABS Sensors assemblies just mere months ago, so now I gotta buy another and play the "wait for the Warranty Credit game" and I can go screw myself for the 3 hours labour to change their duff part :cry:

I'm gonna change that Avatar right now 🤣

So I decided I'm going to do some of my own jobs this week and sod everyone else. I think I will just pack in repairing other folks old rubbish shortly and do all of my extensive list of jobs before we finally decide it's time to sell up and move !! I'm fed up with working now, not worth it if I'm not earning anything out of it and just getting a whole bunch of grief to go with it.

The E Class Wagon ran so well on our trip away, but returned filthy rotten, so now that I have now got all the Tar Spots off, also G4'd the whole Car, now onto Waxing it ................

Excuse the rubbish pic, Camera decided memory is full, so I only got the one for now, basically the topside of the Car down to door handles level is now covered in wet wax, will let that dry off during coffee and then buff it before close of play ;)

Tomorrow I'll take it up on the lift and then do the lower half of Doors / Side Skirts, Bumpers etc ....

2861 - 2880 of 2889 Posts