Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
2641 - 2660 of 2689 Posts

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,641 · (Edited)
OK, well a rush job for my local fleet owner mate put paid to me finishing the CGW Wiring yesterday, and I even had to go back there this morning to finish off the job ;)

But I have now got the 3 wires added to the Dave patented Umbilical Cord, that is CAN H, CAN L and Earth. For now, as I don't wanna hack into my Cars Wiring I will just run a 5A Fused Permanent +ve direct from the Battery, then can see exactly wot happens Personalisation Completion wise now we have a CGW in circuit ....

Temporary Ckt 30 ("Hot At All Times") 12V +ve with 5A Fuse runs directly from Battery Terminal to Footwell for the duration of the testing, If I need to keep CGW in other words this is successful, then I can pick up the feed properly from the Cars Fuse Box or there could well be a B+ in the Footwell already ;)

I'll hook the Umbilical Rig up in the morning, fire up SDS DAS Program and let battle commence once again ;) ....................
With, hopefully, the result we all want to see :D :D :D

There is a fair few more plans in the melting pot, some of which involve some Bench Testing with various bits in USA, and one of which includes some further Programming work in Oz .................

So plenty of plans left yet, but i think we'd all agree, the "ahem, cough, cough, simpler we keep it" then the better for ease of these 7G R170 conversions in the future ;)
I am now so confident we will get this to actually work right I have spent some coin in readiness .................

I ordered 11 litres of Transmission Fluid, new Filter, Pan Gasket, Stretch Bolts, Drain / Fill Plug Washer and Overflow Pipe from MB this very morning :D :D :D

TBC ....................................................

·
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,643 ·
The big fat effalump minger hasn't sung yet :ROFLMAO:

·
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,644 · (Edited)
Fell at first hurdle :(

Trans is still communicating fine, but still reporting that wretched C141 No Comms with CGW Error ............. not worth going any further with Trans at this stage, best left unplugged to avoid wasting remaining Ignition Cycles :(

Either the CGW I just bought is a dud, or I've now got to rip the car apart because it needs that extra CGW to 16 Pin Diag Socket twisted pair ......................

Connected Ckt 30 Power direct at Battery, Earth and Powertrain CAN via Umbilical Box ....

SDS reports No Comm with CGW ....

See the dark blue highlighted SDS suggestion ....

So now I gotta strip out the Umbilical and treble check that all my wiring is intact, (I'm almost certain it is), then work out how I can neatly (and more importantly reversibly) add those 2 specific "Diag Socket" CAN Wires from CGW pins 4 and 5, this big fat effalump minger's stubborn refusal to sing is peeing me off now, I'm going to have to try and beat that effalump with a big stick between now and tomorrow afternoon !! :mad:

So now I'm going to have to strip the rig down and turn the car around so I can, once again, remove all the dash panels on the Drivers side, because my workshop space is tight on the wall side ....

therefore I have no access for a 60 year old Bear to perform the necessary contortions to get the whole chebang of plastic panels removed and add the "possibly" necessary CGW Diag Can twisted wires from 16 Pin Socket to the left footwell area .................................

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to leave all these panels and screws out and take it all down the garage for the next week to store it all safely where it won't get damaged :(
This is the stage I wished to avoid early on, because I'm now at the point where the V8 Car is off the road now until I either sort this or just put the whole bloomin lot into storage for the foreseeable and crack on to finish the Silver Car plus install a V8, prior to stripping that ones interior and resumation of 7G project !!

I don't want to do that, but this is getting to the point where it is becoming all consuming and I'm at the point where I'm getting burnt out and actually wondering whether it is worth all the effort !!
However I am the bloke who will not be beaten by a difficult challenge ........................... Decisions, decisions, decisions ......................

Well that's easy then, go turn the Car round strip it apart and add diag CAN from CGW to 16 Pin Socket :ROFLMAO:

·
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,647 ·
Not yet, he's just bellyaching. Give him time....
/\ /\ /\ :ROFLMAO: He knows me too well :D :D :D

Ranting / Bellyaching / Chucking Teddy Outta Pram / Adding Bear Snax and Coffee whilst pondering is good for my soul :D :D :D

I now have a plan for a temporary solution that doesn't involve Dash Panels removal (yet), assuming that the wiring on the Cars 16 Pin Socket is physically long enuf to allow it to drop into the footwell at least a few inches ;)
The Bench Testing rig is now completely redundant, so gonna strip it down for some parts / wires ;)

AC / DC is blasting out on the Workshop sound system :D

·
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,649 ·
I doubt I will get another SDS run today, decided to just do it properly, at the end of the day if CGW doesn't work out and we have to do summat else like EIS it will be easier to hook the Diag CAN back into Powertrain CAN on the left side, and to that end, at least for the duration of CGW theories I will leave the lower panels off the Car as it will be easier to get the Cluster and DAS / RF Module access should we need to go all EIS on it ;) .........................

So far ....

Gonna run the new twisted CAN line across the Tunnel following the existing factory Wiring Looms routes behind HVAC ;)

I am actually reasonably certain having the CGW will still be necessary if no other reason than 7G likely needs to see it and thus get rid of that hidden C141 Code, even if it doesn't actually help with the Drive Auth conundrum ;)

I mean, I've already learned that it throws hissy fits and stops working correctly even if a Shifter is not both taught in and plugged in, OK so the 5 speed 722.6 Auto will not like an unplugged Shifter, but it would still go forwards and backwards, whereas the 7 G will just stay in target gear Neutral ;)

·
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,650 ·
Quick update ..................

Most of the day spent making a twisted can loom for comms between 16 Pin Diag Socket and the CGW and installing it in Car following existing loom route .................

I can now honestly say i have every admiration for old Slick and his wiring repairs on his rat eaten SLK, I have been upside down in both footwells all day, but the job is done and all neatly installed following existing looms from Drivers side to passenger side and down to the footrest plate.

Some pixels for y'all to work out ....

The new CAN Plug to connect to CGW contraptionamabob.

And make the matching end for CGW ....

Houston we now have Comms to CGW ....

And I'm now packing up, will get 7G Plugged in tomorrow and see if I can get any further with it ;)

·
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,651 ·

.... is refusing to sing :mad:

CGW is in and working, but 7G is still reporting C141 No CAN Comm with CGW, which having spent most of the afternoon translating 7 pages of German Developer Mode Version Codings, I suspect it did not come from a 2005 model W211 E500 (which would have 7G Trans) ..................

There is no Version Codings for Transmission, (it's like it doesn't know that a 7G even exists), also it's Model Year codings don't tally, and several of the Codings suggest it came from a bullet proof limousine with CDI Diesel Engine !!
I can find no VIN stored in it either :(

Best guess is the Breakers either mis- labelled it, or that's why the Car was in their yard, because some numpty previously had fitted it and it wasn't suitable etc etc yak yak I neither know or care right now ;)

What I do know is they are getting filed for return and refund in the morning ;)
So now I gotta send it back and wait for a refund, and find another one that isn't ridiculously priced like most :ROFLMAO:

I tried 2 more attempts to Personalise it with same negative result :(

If I get time between work, the way I have done the wiring with those plugs, I'm going to try an EIS on it and see if the C141 Code goes away, then at least we will know that 7G is happy.

All depends how much spare time I get this week really.

·
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,652 ·
So, some explaining and discussion of todays work, before firing the Car away for a few days so I can do more paying work to pay the incessant and ever increasing Bills that just keep on landing :(

What I wanna know is when is it my turn to win the lottery ? I'm not even greedy, half a mill will do just fine :D :D :D

There is good reason why all this testing stuff is wired up under the passenger Footrest, using those little plugs ;)

Even if the V8 SLK is all back together and in use various parts can now be swapped in and out in under 5 minutes, (pull carpet back and undo 3 x 10mm head plastic nuts, fold ally plate backwards) ;)

See what I mean, CGW is a separate entity that just plugs into the "Dave patented Umbilical" for its Powertrain CAN and Earth, and single plug for 12V supply, the second 2 pin plug is the CGW to Diag CAN, which is already in the EIS / ESL harness and therefore the Diag Sockets CAN is now easily hooked back into the Powertrain CAN for Vediamo sessions etc if CGW ends up consigned to the trash can ....

This is why I have a box full of those matching male and female Connectors that I bought off our "Consumables Guy" a while ago for use with all the mods on this very Car ;) ....

To that end, today, whilst all the lower right side panels are out I will spend an hour removing Cluster and running an extension from the DAS / RF Modules CAN down to behind the Driver side HVAC Footwell Vent Panel which can be removed in 30 seconds flat ;) ............

Reason being, if I need to disconnect the DAS RF's CAN Connection, (purely there to issue Drive Auth), because it may conflict by issuing it's "DAS / RF Drive Auth" with an EIS in Circuit and issuing "EIS Drive Auth", this way I don't have to keep removing all the bloody Drivers side Dash gubbins just to un plug it every time I wanna muckwit ;)

SDS DAS Developer wise I'm pretty sure CGW is locked, despite trying it wouldn't let me re code it, and as said I saw nothing about Transmission in it, I translated 7 odd pages of German :ROFLMAO:

Work is booked in tomorrow, so todays plan is adding the same 2 and 3 pin plugs to the EIS / ESL combo and giving it a shot ;)
That will just give me a fair perspective of what issues that is likely to cause with other systems on the Car, and if that can become a viable alternative :unsure:

I would say viable alternative especially if the only issue then is the Cruise / Lim, which I do believe with a bit of study of Wiring Diags could be fixed by adding a CAN type cruise stalk and a regular plain Jayne ME2.8 from any other V8 later down the line so I eventually get to use the EIS in the Dash exactly as it works in W220 / W211 / R230 / W203 etc etc etc :unsure:

If needs be I'm prepared to live with no Cruise / LIM for a while until we know what other issues it all throws up and whether or not the 7G actually physically works once installed ;)

L8'rs with a :mad: or a (y)(y)(y)

·
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,653 · (Edited)
Well, I posted the above just about 3 hours ago, but pesky customers wanting to book their cars in and give me money have kept disturbing me, still the forthcoming dosh will come in handy especially as I still haven't won that bloomin' Lottery :ROFLMAO:

So it's now just gone midday, so a quick coffee and update break, but some progress means that I will hopefully get a few runs on SDS before 6pm tonight :D :D :D

I've made the new Wiring for EIS to join up at the Umbilical and Passenger Footwell Plugs so we get wot we need to run the latest rig / experiment, also tested it on the Bench....

If this works the bulky ESL, (Electronic Steering Lock) will not be used upon final installation, I will use a small ESL Emulator on that circuit, but I choose not to ATM because often times the Emulators don't work outta the box, (Chinesium), so rather than introducing an unknown quantity that could cause issues at this stage I would rather temporarily use the MB ESL that matches this Drive Auth set up ;)

So I just gotta add the wiring plugs on the wire ends of this little loom, which has just been tested as is and is working fine :)

Once in the Car the next thing to do is see what 7G thinks of it :unsure: ................
If 7G likey I will go further and virginise my spare ME2.8 with 7G Codings and then marry this EIS to that 7G ME2.8 Engine ECU and Car should then start off it's own key for now !!

If I get that far then serious progress is being made and I will attempt to marry the 7G to this EIS :eek:

In the meanwhile it will also prove or refute if there is any Drive Auth conflicts with ME2.8 which initially will still be getting it's Drive Auth from DAS / RF, i.e. first check will be does the Car still start with EIS in circuit :unsure:

If there is conflict then lets go with relocating that Powertrain CAN to DAS RF connector so it's easily accessible, as I outlined earlier and try marrying EIS to ME 2.8 with the DAS / RF CAN disconnected ;)

·
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,654 ·

I'm gonna agree the Fat Lady has now sung ;)

After some slightly concerning Data, like SDS DAS program has no Diagnostic Comm with EIS I decided WTF, lets just try and marry 7G, after all the worst that can happen is that Wedding can only fail once again .................

And WHAMMO !! ....

And after about 5 - 6 Engine Off / Restarts still good ....

Car has now been started about 20 - 25 times off the R170's Ignition Switch and every single time 7G gets it's Drive Auth correctly from the EIS and it's internal VGS2 is enabled fully, all the data still looks fine :)

This is a major milestone achieved, I'm a very happy bunny, a bunch of really foul language over the past few weeks, plus Teddy getting chucked out a few times, tenacity and gritted teeth has won this battle (y) (y) (y)

Buttttttttttttt ................. Yeah !! There's always gonna be a P I T BUTT with this sorta Project 🤣 ....

Take note that Freddy Mercury is not yet singing with old Montserrat bless her, we gotta wait for that one ;) ....................

Right now the ME2.8 is still getting it's Drive Auth from DAS / RF Module. I think later on this week, assuming I can smash the work outta the Ball park with no hassles, next step I will Virgin that ME 2.8 ECU and marry that to the EIS too ;)

I have got rid of the pesky C141 now, it hasn't come back since the successful marriage, but Houston, we have a new issue, ESP read says No CAN Comm with TCU, and it doesn't clear :mad: ....

Now, curiously there is no ABS / ESP lights on, but then again I can't drive it up the road atm :unsure:

I am no way certain, but fairly sure that they were not there yesterday when the CGW was in Circuit, and the final glitch to note is that SDS won't communicate with the EIS, but clearly the EIS IS communicating with the TCU / Powertrain CAN as it is issuing the 7G with that much needed Drive Authorisation ;)

If I get time before 6pm I'll try a minor mod to the CGW Wiring Loom and then plug that back into the circuit and hopefully I can get another bash at SDS to see wot happenz then before I have to put the car away in Garage for a few days and do some work ;)

·
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,655 ·
EIS now communicates with SDS with CGW fitted.

I need to buy another CGW though, it is giving some weird actions because it was from a weird E Class special protection vehicle, diesel engine and multiple zone A/C etc etc so shopping for an R230 CGW, a 2dr Cabrio SL 500 is a lot closer to an R170 than a guard spec limo LOL ;)

More meddling later in the week ;)

·
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,656 ·
Work smashed outta the park (y) Amazing what I can acheive when motivated by project neglect 🤣
Some important paperwork to take care of then back at 7G later today for a while.

I managed to add plugs this morning to the Body Can Wires between EIS and CGW which allows easy connection to get SDS to connect to EIS,
and also possibility to add a basic Body Can which will improve stuff like my Android, etc later down the line :D ....

I'm looking today at whether I can get SDS Developer to unlock that pesky CGW so I can re version Code it and maybe alter the VIN ;)

Same story with EIS, would like to try to at least get the R230 VIN in that if either of those is even possible ????? @Deplore ;)

I know I can freely alter Version Codings on that CL with a brand new EIS fitted, have never tried it on W211 EIS. Never fiddled in the bowels of a CGW either ;)

A further SDS Developer and EIS / CGW parts specific learning curve over the next couple of days.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This little lot arrived today, 11 litres MB 722.6 Trans Oil, Filter, Pan Gasket, Pan Stretch Bolts, Drain / Fill Plug Washer and the Overflow Tube ....

.... so now all parts are here and ready to service the 7G before it's (hopefully soon) install :p :p :p

·
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,657 · (Edited)
I also bought an ESL Emulator to replace that lump of a redundant Steering Lock now I actually have 7G's Drive Auth Synched ....

Rectangle Font Cable Electronic device Magenta

.... I want to tidy up the EIS / CGW / ESL Combo so it all fits neatly on the rear of the Passengers Aluminium Footplate when Install time comes (y)

The other 2 guys involved are still looking at getting drive auth to synch with R170 DAS RF Module, that is of course the preferred solution, but as I spent so much time trying and failing at that, and because I already had 2 EIS / Key / ESL's from W211 7G cars, I thought it better to go with this solution at least for the time being to progress the project, but as ever that can be reversed if / when they succeed ..............
I'm fairly certain I exhausted all avenues with DAS / RF at my pay grade in other words if they come up with a solution I think that solution will likely involve some custom programming work either with DAS / RF or 7G so that does = above my pay grade ;)

The unknown issue with EIS is whether it will get to say 100, 302, 1487 etc etc starts and then require me to cycle that EIS's Key to renew issue of Drive Auth, my gut says it may well not as it isn't powered from permanent B+ as it is on a standard MB Car, with my version of wiring it it now switches off with R170 Ckt 15 each time the Car does, therefore my gut is saying it sees each car start as a fresh issue of Drive Auth ................

But then there is that little Gremlin sat on my other shoulder saying Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it'll be an issue..................... IDFK but nothing about this job is straightforward :ROFLMAO:

Meanwhile hopefully soon I can fit this Trans in the car to see if it does actually work correctly ..............
Again gut says it will but remember Mr G. Remlin

Righty Ho ..............

Paperwork and Lunch over, I got circa 3.5 hours to go play with SDS ;)

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
2,448 Posts
I also bought an ESL Emulator to replace that lump of a redundant Steering Lock now I actually have 7G's Drive Auth Synched ....

View attachment 613529
.... I want to tidy up the EIS / CGW / ESL Combo so it all fits neatly on the rear of the Passengers Aluminium Footplate when Install time comes (y)

The other 2 guys involved are still looking at getting drive auth to synch with R170 DAS RF Module, that is of course the preferred solution, but as I spent so much time trying and failing at that, and because I already had 2 EIS / Key / ESL's from W211 7G cars, I thought it better to go with this solution at least for the time being to progress the project, but as ever that can be reversed if / when they succeed ..............
I'm fairly certain I exhausted all avenues with DAS / RF at my pay grade in other words if they come up with a solution I think that solution will likely involve some custom programming work either with DAS / RF or 7G so that does = above my pay grade ;)

The unknown issue with EIS is whether it will get to say 100, 302, 1487 etc etc starts and then require me to cycle that EIS's Key to renew issue of Drive Auth, my gut says it may well not as it isn't powered from permanent B+ as it is on a standard MB Car, with my version of wiring it it now switches off with R170 Ckt 15 each time the Car does, therefore my gut is saying it sees each car start as a fresh issue of Drive Auth ................

But then there is that little Gremlin sat on my other shoulder saying Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it'll be an issue..................... IDFK but nothing about this job is straightforward :ROFLMAO:

Meanwhile hopefully soon I can fit this Trans in the car to see if it does actually work correctly ..............
Again gut says it will but remember Mr G. Remlin

Righty Ho ..............

Paperwork and Lunch over, I got circa 3.5 hours to go play with SDS ;)
(y)🍀 🙏

·
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,659 · (Edited)
Loads learned in the few hours I got after all the interruptions.

1) The CGW is only nesessary for SDS DAS to be able to communicate with EIS, and that would only be necessary in the event that there is a suspected EIS Fault, i.e. suddenly the Trans doesn't get it's Drive Auth one day in the future.

2) If CGW is left out of circuit the Car and EIS / 7G combo appears Data wise to function perfectly without it .............

Answer, keep the CGW in a safe place in case it is ever needed just in case I need to SDS the EIS, and just plug it in at that time only ;)

So, I really have no other option but to get the Trans serviced and install the darned thing to see wot happenz next.

There are only 2 things that may stop it working, although I'm not sure they will, because I have found no evidence that a 7G actually needs those items to work, whereas the 722.6 Trans does, but that is a totally different and less integrated animal, so not really worth worrying about right now ;)

To that end I am going to get the Trans serviced up and ready to install, and get the EIS etc all mounted up and tidy it's wiring up nice and neatly, so everything is ready to rock and roll over a long weekend sometime soon ;)

We'll leave Freddy Mecury to sing or not once it's installed ;)

·
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,660 · (Edited)
My Dash is in bits today finally have just got around to re-routing the DAS / RF Modules Powertrain CAN Wiring down to the Drivers Side Footwell HVAC Vent ;)
A new a loop of twisted green and white CAN pair, with a small 2 pin plug and socket that now resides behind HVAC vent, so no need to keep removing the Cluster to get at it ;) ....

That now makes it easy peasy for me to disconnect the Drive Auth only from DAS / RF whilst EIS is in circuit with another Engine ECU for testing the 7G Trans, and then eventually when, ( / if shhhhhh), it's in and working fine, I can just completely remove that loop because DAS / RF will then only be used for the RF C/L function :D

Later today I'm going to marry my spare "special" V8 Motor ECU which is now 7G coded to the EIS, and then I will need to unplug the DAS / RF's CAN whilst we have 7G in circuit ............. Simples, even if I do say so myself ;)

Again, this is all part of the "easily reversible plan" should the unthinkable happen and I have to pull the 7G back out and refit the 722.6 just b'cos the conversion doesn't work out ;)

Some further early for me and late for @Deplore Vediamo ju ju programming going on at 8am UK time tomorrow, so gotta get me skates on ...........................................

2641 - 2660 of 2689 Posts