Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
2621 - 2640 of 2715 Posts

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
7,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,621 ·
Is 40mm shorter the measured number,
Yes ;) ...............

I measured between Bell Housing Face and Trans Flange Face, with straight edges across both .........
The 722.6 is 40mm less than the 7G Tronic, so that means front half of the Prop needs to be shortened 40mm.

Trans Mounting Saddle also sits farther back, I will modify a spare one once the 7G Trans is in as it may need some height adjustment too to preserve the Propshaft Alignment ;)

Shifter Rod length is slightly different too ;) I haven't bought another yet because I'm certain I have a couple somewhere 🤣

Finally, the Cooler Pipes are different at Bellhousing end, brass hydraulic compression couplers will make a nice job, and can also be easily reversed should it not play nice ;)

·
7,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,623 ·
The Shifter rod has to be shortened ...............

Now, you likely won't have this issue .................

You see the Shifter Rod has an Allen or Torx grub screw, and that clamps the Rod, but once the UK Cars are a few years old you can almost never get the bloomin thing undone, it's an ally pivotamabob with steel screw that seizes solid ;)

I intend to prepare a used one by heating the screw on the bench and then get it all free, fit a new Grub Screw wirh Copperslip etc etc, so when the time comes it's all prepped and ready to go ;)

Darned sight easier that way ;)

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
2,449 Posts
Hee Hee Hee .......................

I'm getting keen now :D

I found a couple of W220 S Class Props in my shed over the w/e, so I thought rather than potentially screw up my one good spare R170 Prop front half, lets measure Diameter of the 2 Shafts and check Splines ..........

Same Diameter Tube, and also same Splines, W220 one is longer :) Added bonus is that the W220 uses the larger rubber Guibo Coupling, which just happens to be stronger and the same flange that is already on the Transmission, so out with the chop saw, out with a suitable diameter piece of tubing to whack inside the Prop Tube and the Splined end to act as a guide / dowel ;)

After some very careful measurements, chop chop either side of the factory friction weld and carefully assemble it, 3 small tack welds checking it's true each stage, then turn up ze welder and plough it in ..................

Coat of satin black et Voila, 40mm shorter front half prop, didn't cost me a bean ..............................

It is certainly good enough to use for initial road testing :)
If there is any slight harmonic in the Car, and assuming the 7G all works out fine I'll just get the other one shortened, and of course if 7G doesn't actually work out, I haven't wasted circa £300.00 + on the pro job of shortening and balancing ;)

I can tell y'all now I spun it up earlier on a home made bench jig and it looks dead true with magnetic Dial Gauge ;)

You the man!

·
7,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,627 ·
So here is the latest "sequential" 3 stage plan to add Twisted CAN stuff here and there if needed ..............

That C141 "CAN completely disrupted" doom and gloom code :( :( :( is we thinks the only thing holding 7G back from completing Personalisation to the V8 R170 !!

That Code that isn't a Code doesn't even show on an SDS DAS Code Read, it actually only shows up when you get all nasty and go advanced on it by using SDS Developer Mode.
Wot it actually means in ze plain Engerleesh, as opposed to it's bastardized German phrasiology is that the 7G is looking for a Central Gateway Module and 7G is getting mighty pied off coz it can't find ze Zentrales Gateeeeeeewayamabob 🤣 ................

Of course the humble old R170 never had such a thing in fact the poor old 2002 SLK's simple Powertrain CAN has no idea that such a wonderous routeramabob widget even exists ................
BUT all Cars with 7G Tronic Trans did have them ............. Could this be the issue pondereth we all involved ?????????????????

So a couple of days ago I bought a good used CGW from the Flea market down at the Bay area by the sea 🙃 :D to give it a shot ;) ....

Again, I'm not slicing up the Cars Wiring, it has to be all reversible, so here's where I'm at ;) ..............

I rummaged through a bin full of old wiring looms, found some suitable stuff including the correct 10 pin Connector Plug and made this up, the 2 Brown and Brown White trace twisties are in case I need to set up a Body CAN (darned well hope not) but I put 'em in just in case !!

The orange wires are one solid Orange and other Orange / Grey trace on the bench and not yet added to the 10 pin plug are to be added if we end up needing separate CAN wires to Diag Socket as per wot the R230 hath :D

I got this far, but my back is killing me now so gonna pack up in a wee whiley, I'll solder the Powertrain CAN wires and the Earth into the Umbilical box tomorrow and find a spare Ckt30 Battery + somewhere to hook in the CGW's needed permanently live Power supply via a Small single Connector ;)

Over and oot to buy Bear Snax now ;)

·
7,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,630 ·
'defeat devices'
Sorry, but I don't understand you there buddy ;)

A Gateway Module is like a Router with a bunch of Computers connected to it ...........................

It decides what packet of Data is most important plus when & where to send it to ;)

·
*Registered
Looking for an SLK
366 Posts
Might be referring to Chrysler, they had a rash of bad publicity when a hacker was able to remote into a Jeep Grand Cherokee and basically took over the whole car. Steering, brakes, throttle, whole works. Like something straight out of FnF franchise.

So of course the executives pooped their pants and rushed in a fix -- this "fix" was a new CGW. I say CGW, but basically it's something incredibly lamer than that. You know how when you try to log in to the bank account, the bank sends a text message with a code to your phone to verify who you are?

The car does that, except that the one that has to "authorize" the account, it's Chrysler themselves. In other words, the damn car phones home if you so much cough in the OBD direction. Also good luck trying to read or clearing codes, because CGW won't let you in without permission from Motherland.

So there's a bunch of aftermarket tools that allow you to rip out the CGW so you can use your normal OBD scanners like before.

·
7,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,633 ·
Ahhhh I knew nothing of that, I try not to follow news etc it just depresses me ;)

I haven't seen a Chrysler since they had magnetos and a chuffin' great Blower ;)

So that Chryslers stuff is a bit like Mercedes latest stuff then ;)

·
7,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,635 ·
We have a guy up here, works for a utility company, and is not supposed to use the 4x4 Truck for private use, so he has a lead "hat" he made, gets home on a Friday, parks the Truck up overnight, and then in the morning he gaffer tapes the lead hat on the roof over the Shark Fin on the roof before he drives to his sons place on the east coast, comes home Sunday evening and removes the "hat" :ROFLMAO:

·
*Premium Member
No SLK owned
292 Posts
Actually, Chrysler was doing so well on their electronics - before the marriage. They inherited a lot from Daimler. Good mechanical engineer. Bad electrical engineering. Empty bank accounts. But of all those things, I hate the bad electrical engineering the most.

·
*Registered
Looking for an SLK
366 Posts
Ahhhh I knew nothing of that, I try not to follow news etc it just depresses me ;)

I haven't seen a Chrysler since they had magnetos and a chuffin' great Blower ;)

So that Chryslers stuff is a bit like Mercedes latest stuff then ;)
That story I mentioned about that Jeep being hacked is actually funnier than it sounds.

So imagine this. It's 2012-2013. Tesla is getting all the publicity and rage, Elon is constantly in the news about how he listened to people complaints on twitter and then ordered a OTA update to all tesla that fixed the complaints.

Sentry mode, dash cam mode, and the pet mode were all OTA update and as a direct result of Elon monitoring twitter feed.

So Chrysler execs were feeling all butthurt and left out, so they decided that their next gen cars will be also OTA too! Just like Tesla! After all, Tesla is not the only one who can do it, Chrysler can do it too! And so they did. For a time, their new refreshed Dodge Rams, Cherokees, Chargers, Challengers, etc could receive OTA updates for various things like navigation updates, radio updates, even recall updates that require flashing modules. All done OTA. All was good for a time.

Until a white hat hacker (so called ethical hacker that finds vulnerabilities in a system and reports it to the owner of that system) noticed something odd. If he took the VIN of any of those new cars and ran it through an algorithm, he could stumble on the unique IP address of that particular car. In other words, he could communicate with the car with a laptop from anywhere in the world.

Then he found a zero-day exploit -- a very severe bug -- that effectively gave him full admin rights over the car. So he effectively had full access to the car. And he noticed something even more interesting -- as long as he had the vin of ANY Chrysler car, which was easy given that they're located under the windshield, he could just remote in that car from anywhere, and as long as the car had reception from the cell tower, he could do anything. Remote start? Turn on AC? Actuate brakes? Even control the car and drive it like a RC? This is literally something straight out of a spy movie.

And so being a white hat, he reported it to Chrysler. They thanked him for the report....and nothing happened. 2 months. 6 months. 1 year. Zero updates. Zero fixes to this absurdly massive issue. Nothing. And so Chrysler happily announced a new refresh on the Jeep Grand Cherokee. A facelift, but largely based on the same tech as previous pre-facelift.

And so this white hat spoke with a journalist who was going to review the car, and obtained his permission to remote into this JGC while the journalist was driving it. And just like that, while the journalist was driving it, the white hat took over the car (remember the journalist was on in it too, he was fully aware of it) and then disabled brakes, steering, throttle, AC...everything. And took over the system, accelerating the car to 70 mph, then applied full brakes to a standstill (empty deserted road), and then did a couple U turn while the journalist tried everything to regain control. The white hat was in a coffee shop having a nice espresso while doing all of this.

The resulting shitstorm after the journalist published his article.....oh boy.

The reason why it was so easy to bypass the security? Chrysler was being Chrysler, and they cheaped out on the programming and outsourced it to India. I'm not even kidding. Tesla at least was a software company that ventured into cars, and they knew the risks, so they built many checks and balances against outside intrusions. Chrysler was a car making company venturing into software, and they brought the mentality of producing cars on the cheap with them too.

That's how we have this abomination of CGW, and that's why there's a healthy aftermarket support to bypass it because well, Dodge fanboys are gonna Dodge fanboy and they still wanna tune and mod their cars.

·
*Premium Member
No SLK owned
292 Posts
And we wish Chrysler was the only one. Unfortunately, Boeing did the exact same thing with 737MAX. We all know how that turned out. When you read the reports of how incredibly shoddy the software was, and what it did, and how no one caught it, you're just plain gobsmacked over it. You in the EU/UK, don't get smug. Another white hat group found a startling similar deficiency in Airbus jets that @Deplore described on the Chryslers. Like almost identical security failure, albeit, you had to be a passenger on the plane you might be trying to make do u turns, or worse.

Bottom line: outsourcing software to lower your costs, might not achieve that desired effect.

·
*Premium Member
No SLK owned
292 Posts
Oh man, don't even get me started on the 737 max saga. Just lots of incompetence at all levels. I could go for days on it.
I'm live in the aviation realm, and the 737MAX is becoming a case study on why this nation had better pull its head out of its collective rear, and get schools to where they function properly. I wish the outsourcing to Elbonia was isolated to the MAX, but it isn't. Not even remotely close. Like you, I could go on for days.

If you're in the US, and want to see first hand, just go use a 'late model' petrol pump. Put your chip card in, and observe in all its glory, the outsourced to Elbonia awfulness that is the software that the pump runs. Nothing reassures a customer of ultimate security, quality, or even what to do next more than after putting their card in, and after a long, long delay, to be slowly followed by very helpful text feedback on how your transaction has progressed. No one has should have any trouble deciphering a blank screen with nothing more than cryptic computer codes like "P89" or that all time hit, "P90". How could a customer possibly be any more assured that their card wasn't just skimmed? How could they not know that this is totally normal? It's the new normal! Friend, if you can't figure out what that means to your bank account, either, blame the morons who decided to save a few bucks by having that interface software fully developed, vetted and tested by the Elbonians.

2621 - 2640 of 2715 Posts