Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
2601 - 2620 of 2689 Posts

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,601 ·
OK, decision made this morning, another TV session either this coming weekend or next, YTBC, we is gonna drop the nuke in it again, and start over from scratch.

I have just realised a peculiarity that I previously shrugged off with R230 / W220 7G Trans as opposed to all the others, and that latest lightbulb may be another possibility why the 7G Immo / Personalisation hasn't completed properly. May actually need to write it with W211 E500 Files this time subject to wot my compadres say.

So, that's a plan 🤣

·
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,603 · (Edited)
Thank you for blazing the trail on this one,
Not just me ;) I couldn't possibly do it without the others ;)

I see @Deplore liked your post, lol do they both know of your plan re MCT Version :eek:
I know you know that will be a world more pain than my humble 722.901 steward of the drinking establishments bar :ROFLMAO:

·
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,605 ·
I'm a caveman. I only have enough processing power for one thing at a time.
BIG :ROFLMAO:

I'm not sure anyone can actually Virgin one of those, is it VGS4 ? or something else ? I've never even seen one in the flesh :ROFLMAO:

·
*Registered
Looking for an SLK
361 Posts
FBS4 is completely on a different level. It's possible to virgin FBS4 modules, but impossible to do drive authorization offline. MB now requires all drive authorizations to be done online, as in the laptop has to phone home for permission before the modules can learn.

So effectively the only option is to clone the FBS4 immo data from old module to new, or suck it up and go to dealer and pay for new module and labor/programming to install.

·
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,608 ·
So, tomorrow early morning in UK time we are having another bash at Virgin Nuke the 7G and start over again, this time reprogramming it with W211 E500 files, then see if the R170 V8 accepts 7Gs marriage proposal this time .................................................................

TBC

·
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,610 ·
We are all watching and waiting with bated breath
Thanks Neil and also all you guys following (y) (y) (y)

I wouldn't hold that breath ;) ..............

I was looking at more data I found yesterday ............ OK the Drive Auth completion, (if it goes through today), may help with some stuff, but I got a sneaky feeling when in the car it won't work correctly 😭

I won't type reams, gotta get started in 10 mins, but once we get the Drive Auth it may have to all go back in storage and then get tried out when my Silver V6 Car gets a V8 .......................

·
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,611 ·
OK, still no Cigar but we have gotten a wee "Roll Up" Cigarette so far today (y)

First we did loads of back up's and then Virgined it again with the nuke.

Then we set it all up with W211 E500 s/w files and it also now took the modified SCN :)

The Ignition Cycle Counter now has 300 Starts left before lock-down. At this point we now see the Shifter + and - that's back, that's a big positive +

Teach In Selector, no problems (y)

But now we have no Comms with Motor ECU which I had yesterday.

So now, without needing Virgin because we still have around 298 Ignition Cycles, we decide to go back to R230 SL500 s/w files and re try Drive Auth ................

Still no dice, still won't complete personalisation
PAH :(

OK, but another big plus
+ it is now seeing the Shifters Tiptronic + and - again, and now it is back communicating with the ME2.8 Motor ECU +
We still got 295 Ignition cycles left before it needs another Nuke :ROFLMAO:

I'm in for lunch with Mel in a short whiley, then later today I have some business to attend to, but before I pack it all down I'm gonna go right through all Data again to see what we got now in case anything has gone AWOL, but more likely we may actually have a few more Data pieces inserted in the bloody great big jigsaw puzzle ;)

We have a couple of theories why it won't complete it's Drive Auth, but we now need to discuss exactly what our other colleague did on a bench rig as they are adamant they have married a 7G to a DAS / RF.

Like I said .................... Softleeeeeeee Softleeeeeeee grab that monkey firmly by the cream crackers :D

·
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,612 ·
Very very good progress today, only need to get the Drive Auth Done and I'm OK to try fitting this and see what happens, based on a ton of data reading this afternoon, I think it will work.

Transmission has now got the second step (bottom yes) in personalisation process ....

So just need to sort the drive Auth for 7G Transmission which stubbornly refuses to go through but that I think is the last stage before I'm comfortable to install it, and there is every good chance it will change gears :p

At the moment the Trans Controller will remain unlocked for another 276 Ignion Cycles ....

It is now back on the bench until we resolve this so the counter will not deplete any more.

So there is a whole lot more data it is now computing, like in C mode it is now sending Gear Position Indications to the Cluster, I dun did y'all one of my awful videos, cos I got what I really really wanted :D

/\ /\ /\ That right there is the highlight of this weekend for me, how cool is that :cool: , an R170 displaying 7 forward gears on a 200mph hybrid Cluster I built from an SRT - 6 and a regular Crossfire Cluster with SLK 32 AMG Clusters guts :D :D :D

There is also proof now, another big plus, that the Trans Controller is computing which gear it wants, see the following Screenshots, which again it never did last time :) :) :)

See next post for pix ..................................

·
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,613 · (Edited)
Continued ....................

Shifter Pos R ....

Shifter Pos N ....

Shifter Pos D

And the Tippy + and - position data now back :) ....

A Developer shot below showing it thinking of changing gear, before it realised that Turbine and output speeds didn't match as it is not connected to Engine / Road Wheels mechanically yet :ROFLMAO:

Look at items 213 and 216 in left margin, this is it electing what to do because I had Car rear wheels off the ground and spinning with Car and 7 G in D positions and revved Engine a little that is when these items changed from Zero Values with stationary Wheels (y)....

Big thanks to @Deplore for his late night / early hours, (for him), stint with the Vediamo Programming works, and yup, there is light at the end of a long tunnel now (y)

·
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,616 ·
I am absolutely amazed lol, 50% of me believed that the 7G would transmit 5, 6, and D, (7) when using Tippy stick, but the little naysayer sat on my other shoulder kept saying nah, that'll never work ;)

That is my highlight of the month methinks :D :D :D

·
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,618 ·
Hee Hee Hee .......................

I'm getting keen now :D

I found a couple of W220 S Class Props in my shed over the w/e, so I thought rather than potentially screw up my one good spare R170 Prop front half, lets measure Diameter of the 2 Shafts and check Splines ..........

Same Diameter Tube, and also same Splines, W220 one is longer :) Added bonus is that the W220 uses the larger rubber Guibo Coupling, which just happens to be stronger and the same flange that is already on the Transmission, so out with the chop saw, out with a suitable diameter piece of tubing to whack inside the Prop Tube and the Splined end to act as a guide / dowel ;)

After some very careful measurements, chop chop either side of the factory friction weld and carefully assemble it, 3 small tack welds checking it's true each stage, then turn up ze welder and plough it in ..................

Coat of satin black et Voila, 40mm shorter front half prop, didn't cost me a bean ..............................

It is certainly good enough to use for initial road testing :)
If there is any slight harmonic in the Car, and assuming the 7G all works out fine I'll just get the other one shortened, and of course if 7G doesn't actually work out, I haven't wasted circa £300.00 + on the pro job of shortening and balancing ;)

I can tell y'all now I spun it up earlier on a home made bench jig and it looks dead true with magnetic Dial Gauge ;)

2601 - 2620 of 2689 Posts