Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
2321 - 2340 of 2344 Posts

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,322 · (Edited)
Another job finally ticked off D15KOE's list, we now have 2 working Key Plips, turned out I was getting no 12V +ve to the RF Module, the feed comes from BCU, I tested the wiring, which was good, bought a good used BCU, fitted it today, programmed 2 Keys and job's a good un (y)

D15KOE is still running and driving superbly well, racked up another 220 miles yesterday :D :D :D

Next jobs in no particular order ....

Fit Facelift Instrument Cluster

Heater Control Panel (Blower only works on speed 2 & speed 3)

Finish final bits of Android Head Unit Install

Fit Facelift Headlamp Assemblies

All parts are here, just got to juggle some time to fit them ;)

·
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,323 ·
D15KOE currently looks like the bailiffs have been in :ROFLMAO:

Central dash Panel etc all removed to change the Heater Controller, and run in all the remaining wiring from the Android Head Unit to ...............

TPMS Module (USB connected) will be mounted with double sided tape on top of the SRS Module as that will be pretty central to receive the RF from all 4 Tyre Sensors and the second USB cable is for a Data / Charge Socket inside the Cubby Box, so the double USB from the H/U is now in and the 2 leads taped into a stand alone loom ;)

Active Sub Wiring made into a stand alone loom for Power, Wake Up Line from H/U, and Earth stud under Centre Console.
Active Sub Phono Cable from H/U to Sub.

Reversing Camera Power from Rev Lamps circuit, and Video Phono lead will be made next and run in under Console to at least under the left front Seat, depending how much I get done today, if I get all the Dash and Console back in then I may well remove the Rear Trims and get the Rev Cam final installed, the Rev Cam Earth will be picked up at the back end of the D15KOE where the cables enter from Bumper to rear Interior left Corner ;)

The Heater Controller has been changed, Blower now working on all 4 speeds, another wee jobbie ticked of the list.

The issue with this Active Sub is a bit like the SLK's, i.e. where to mount it, the only practical choices seemed to be either rear Tailgate Door or rear of the Centre Console.
However, a smaller Active Sub under the Seat is not an option for me, I've tried them in the past and IMHO they don't give a decent sound :(
These Vibe Audio units do ;) I have one in each of my SLK's already, and they sound great even at speed with the Roof down, so should be perfect in D15KOE (y)

Bearing in mind all the corrosive rain we get, the rear Door seemed like a bad choice as it will get wet when loading / un loading.
In my case we very rarely use the rear Centre Row Seats, and will probably never use the middle seat, so I have opted for the back of the Centre Console :)

Centre Console is not without a challenge, as this is a plastic item, I gotta make a metal reinforcing bracket, these Subs sound at their best when mounted really solid, and also I reckon the weight of it may crack the Plastic Console. So an L shaped metal reinforcing bracket, (which will be unseen behind the plastic), and fixed to the metal bracket under the 2 rear console mounting screws which are inside the Cubby box that is the daddy for me.
Final concern is also negated, I will be folding the rear Seats on occasion when necessary for carrying larger loads, but some testing revealed this will still be perfect just by lifting out the centre Headrest ;)

Some clickable pixels so far ...............

Sub power Loom under construction, Heater Controller tested and working fine ....

TPMS Module will be mounted under the wiring with double sided tape on top of the SRS Module ....

Sub Wiring will exit unseen via the slot where the rear "Ash Tray" used to reside ....

Sub Mounting ....

Better go get busy (y) .........................................

TBC ;)

·
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,325 ·
:ROFLMAO: You sound like our local garages :ROFLMAO: That's why I'm usually very very busy :D

Vehicles are by and large far far better for the superb technology available today !!
Those of us that understand it don't have many issues fixing or improving it ;)

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
38,779 Posts
:ROFLMAO: You sound like our local garages :ROFLMAO: That's why I'm usually very very busy :D

Vehicles are by and large far far better for the superb technology available today !!
Those of us that understand it don't have many issues fixing or improving it ;)
Older cars had valuable anti theft devices.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,328 ·
OK back to the Technological Voodoo Black Magic Android :p

So, a good day today, all the separate Wiring Looms made and run from the H/U to the Sub area. The USB Data / Charge Socket is installed in the Cubby Box, the Reverse Camera leads are down at the rear of the front passenger Seat area, ready for round 3, which is running them to the rear of the D15KOE and fitting the Camera in the rear Bumper !!

That will continue once the Sub is mounted on the rear of the Centre Console and that Console installed back in the Car.

The Centre Dash Panel is now installed, Head Unit is in for the final time and fixed tight, all connections now made at that end.
Just a couple of clip in trim pieces to finalise once the Centre Console is back in, tomorrow hopefully.
I've got to cut, fold and drill the 2mm steel re-inforcing Bracket, will start that first thing tomorrow.

So I decided to test the Wiring just to make sure before I stuck the Dash back together, currently running the Sub in whilst typing this lol ................... It's just laying in D15KOE atm plugged in and I've set the system up roughly, the whole sound has now come alive, all Bass below 100 Hz removed from the Door Speakers, the Sub is set to take 100 Hz and lower down to 20Hz :D

Yep, it sounds great, better than in the SLK's which are pretty darned good .... This is because the "Auditorium" (i.e. inside of the D15KOE) is a much bigger area than an SLK with its Roof up, so I can welly it more without bustin' ma ear 'oles :ROFLMAO:

Cubby Box Data / Charge USB Socket installed ....

This is where the Reverse Camera's wiring is at so far ....

I also powered the Reverse Camera end of that wiring to simulate / test it as it will work when finally connected to the rear Light Cluster Reverse Lamp, with the Rev Camera stuffed in the rear Seat gap, looking outta the rear Tailgate Door, poor photo, but it's kinda hard to take pic's with one hand whilst holding the power wires together 🤣

So when "Reverse" is selected, the volume drops to a level that is user adjustable, and the Android Screen switches to Rev Camera view, hell I'm sure y'all can get the idea from the pixels ..............

Rev Cam test ....

Sub running (had to wedgie it with a couple of tools to stop it bouncing around) :ROFLMAO: ....

Judging by all the phone bookings today the 2nd half of January is gonna be busy (y)
I started booking from next Monday 17th so I can get the D15KOE upgrades finished off 🤣

That's me for the day, it's Hot Tub and Beer 'O' Clock now before Dinner ;)

·
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,329 ·
Sub Install now finished, D15KOE front interior all back together now, Sub sounds great, so onwards and rearwards today with the Reverse Camera Wiring (y)

I wrapped the USB Socket Wiring around and duct-taped it to the underside of the Cubby box to keep it well away from the Handbrake Mechanism moving parts, it plugs into the second USB from the Head Unit midway alongside the Gear Selector ;) ....

The rear end of Centre Console bolts down here ....

From the inside of the Cubby Box ....

I fabricated a 2mm steel re-inforcing Bracket to stiffen up the Sub Mounting at rear end of the Console ....

Mount the Sub, and refit all parts previously removed ;) ....

All finished and back together, it actually doesn't really affect leg room even when a big lump like me sits in the second row centre seat ;) ....

Right, lets go do battle with a Reversing Camera ......................................................

·
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,330 · (Edited)
That's the D15KOE Full Android install done now, with the exception of installing the TPMS Valves in the Wheels, but I'm gonna hang fire on that for now as I now have a set of 18" Wheels and Tyres for road use, which I have to go collect, so rather than stick them in the 16's I will wait and do that once I've picked up the 18's :D

Last update above saw the install complete up to the Centre Console with the Reverse Camera wiring left at the Floor level where it exited from the rear of the Console at Carpet footwell level.

That meant that the Bailiffs had to come in again :ROFLMAO:
The whole of the left side Carpets rearward from that point needed to be lifted, which entails removal of the left centre row rear Seat and the left rear 3rd row Seat, plus loosely unbolting the left front Seat so I could tilt it forwards on wood blocks and then pull the Carpet joint apart :)

Lower B Pillar and rearward side Trims out, left rear Tail Light out etc etc to run the Wiring through, connect the Camera Power and Earth at the Reverse Lamp and ultimately end up behind the rear Bumper where the Camera is installed just above Tow Hitch level :) All Cables were Duct Taped down into corners where they are not going to get chafed or damaged from pressure :)

Of course along the way there was a ton of muck / filth / spiders dross etc etc behind those Trims and so a lot of cleaning up along the way. Also pleased to report that the Floorpan edges, inner Wheelarches and inner Sills had nothing but a touch of surface rust where Seam Sealer had started peeling, and despite our horrendous rainstorms recently the Carpet and it's Foam under them is all bone dry, so whilst in their I scraped and cleaned up these areas, sealed the seams up and then brushed Waxoyl along them all to prevent further Corrosion.

Starting from Floor area just behind front left Seat and finishing at left side rearmost Pillar / Tail Lamp area ....

All Carpets laid back down and Trims back in, just got a final Hoover up and refit the Seats ....

Lift Vehicle and Install the Camera, this was a bit tricky as I've recessed it in the Bumper so I could get it level at just above Towball Height ....

This is the View from the Workshop Doors currently ...

And now select Reverse Gear the Camera Image on Screen, (it's as clear as the photo above, but my Digital Camera doesn't like the refresh rate on the Screen ;) ....

Also whilst doing all this I ditched the Cigarette Lighter and added a double USB Charging Socket, 5V 2.1A and gained a Volt Meter at the same time (y)

Todays nice and easy task is to fit a Facelift Instrument Cluster in place of the Pre Facelift one, which should take about 15 minutes including fitting some new Illumination Bulbs ....

After that I'll likely remove the Door Step Trims on the right side so I can clean up the floor edge seams and get some Waxoyl on them too ;)
Finally (for now) I'll Hoover out the right side Footwells then that's time to stop work and do the naffin' Tax return this w/e.

Assuming the D15KOE now behaves himself, the list of jobs left is down into single figures now ......................

1) A small roughly 3" X 2" Plate to weld onto the rear left side of the Inner Sill's underside before the end of February 2022 (MOT)
2) Fit the Facelift Headlamps I bought, including Spraying the "Hockey Stick" trims that go underneath them to Body colour
3) Pro-actively change the rear Prop U/J for a GKN H/D item and fit a new OE Donut at the same time
4) Pro-actively fit the Blue Silicone Full Coolant Hose Set and a brand new metal Coolant Pipe Manifold under the front of the Engine at the same time
5) Pro-actively later on during 2022 finish off a few more bits of Chassis Welding and more Schutz / Waxoyl, they don't need doing now, but will mean the mean the Chassis will be good for at least the next two MOT's in Feb 2023 and 2024 ;)

Chow for now (y)

·
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,331 ·
So I was just about to start the D15KOE Facelift Cluster upgrade yesterday when a good customer called in with his Vivaro van, drivers Door Window down, wouldn't close .....................

So I stripped the Door, determined the issue was the Switch pack, powered the Motor direct to close it then put the Trims all back in and ordered a Switch pack from a dealership down south at around midday.
Sent him on his merry way and told him I'd call in and fit the Switch assy when it arrived next week ;)

I've given up ordering from Inverness Dealers, no one stocks bog all, and parts take at least a week if not 2 or 3 ...............

Well the Switch pack arrived this morning via Royal Mail so I wandered along the road and fired it in, another job jobbed (y)

Just goes to show that all these so called professional outfits who take weeks / months to supply parts are just a bunch of ass hats :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, I got to fit the Facelift Cluster this morning and hoovered out the right hand side Carpets etc so that's him all sorted for a while, time to crack on with the boring old Tax Return !!

Back soon :p

·
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,333 ·
Mel always says my screws are never aligned 🤣

It's a D2, that's allowed :ROFLMAO:

Actually when I looked at that picture afterwards I realised that, and, not only but also, I hadn't tilted the Steering Wheel back up to where I normally have it, now it is where it should be ye canna really see the screw heads :D

·
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,335 ·
If that was up here where I live, that Car standing idle, it would be a write off by now as Brakes et al would be seized, mice would have eaten wiring, it would be green with tree dross, drains blocked and electronics fulla water etc etc etc

·
*Registered
Looking for an SLK
280 Posts
My apologies, Aug of 2021, not 2020. 5 months, not over a year.

The truck was at the used car lot for so long (dead) that the tires developed flat spot, transmission was jerky, and when I removed the old ECU there was so much dried leaf, tree dropping, etc in the cubby hole that I thought a mouse or something had gotten inside.

Nope, just regular runoff.

Cranking it was fun. Ticked so badly that I thought lifters dropped.....nah, just seized oil pump. :ROFLMAO: Or air pockets, now that I think of it.

Never heard of it happening, but the cranky graybeard git that ran the used car lot just revved the engine a few times (with 0 oil pressure) until the pump started pumping, or air pocket got out, then oil started pumping and ticking disappeared. Whelp, not my problem anymore, I'm only here for the ECU and nothing else. Legged out of it as fast as I could. Didn't want to see if it was contagious....the You Touched It Last-ism, that is. :ROFLMAO:

·
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,337 ·
I won't let 'em get that far since the D15KOE Watts Linkage debacle ............... that was about 5 months, it arrived with a defect at 3 months 2 weeks ish, I fitted it anyway and will replace the damaged centre bearing when it fails !! I immediately sent the old one back for my £60.00 core refund, and waited another 6 - 7 weeks, he wasn't answering my calls, but luckily I found his FB page so I put up what a woeful service etc, he rang and refunded me straight away, then asked me to remove the post ............ Go forth was my reply :mad:

So what I do now is pay on Credit Card for anything that's not in stock, and if it isn't here by it's due date they get 7 days notice then Charge Back !!

I'm sick of all the "pandemic" excuses, see post above, if a Vauxhall agent can post a set of Window Switches from one end of the country to the other, and they get here within 24 hours, so can any other eejit, there is no excuse, except they are taking your dosh by selling stuff that they ain't got :mad:

·
*Registered
2009 SLK350
372 Posts
Is this engine, the Merc, going to remain stock Dave? If it was going to be modded, what would you do and in what sequence? Cams = x hp?

·
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,339 ·
I couldn't possibly guess HP gains per Modification, but as a package it is already modified as far as I will go with it, ~ 340 bhp / 500 Nm
Mods include Exhaust, Intake, Cams and Eurocharged Tune file ;)

Reactions: nemiro and M4rCu5

·
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,340 · (Edited)
As previously reported, I am pro-actively replacing every single Hose on D15KOE with nice Blue Silicone ones, that is to say Breather Hose, Air Box to Turbo Hose, all Boost Hoses, and every single Coolant Hose including Heater and Fuel Cooler etc etc ;)

I've already done the Boost Hoses / Inlet Hose and the Breather Hose, and I fitted them with the regular (proper Jubilee brand) Clips that I keep in stock ...............
I've also noticed that the N/W Climate is already attacking the Jubilees wot wiv the salt on the roads atm :cry:

I just decided to make a list and have ordered 40 in total of the various sized Clips to replace every single one on every hose .............

£140.00 just for the Hose Clips :ROFLMAO:

They are A4 316 Stainless including the Screws though :D :D :D

Now add on £180.00 for the metal Water Pipe Manifold, £65.00 for the Thermostat, plus the Price of all the Blue Silicone Hoses, (lost count on that one, circa £400+, and also a while back a brand new OEM Radiator ...............................

I DON'T EXPECT ANY COOLING ISSUES FOR A LONG WHILE :p

(I just yelled that at D15KOE) 🤣

2321 - 2340 of 2344 Posts