Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
2141 - 2160 of 2168 Posts

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,141 ·
outta the blue this morning a guy commented on my thread, we exchanged phone numbers and he phoned me for a half hour blether, seems to be a very nice chap, into his Car projects just like me ................................
Just phoned the guy, I'm heading N/E tomorrow morning, with a wad of cash :D
About 2 hr drive, he should have all the little odd bitties I require for D15KOE and some :)

Once I've looked it over I'm also keen to discuss that Auto D2 he has with no Engine but good Chassis etc :D
He just told me he has a family member in England who is into LR's and when decent stuff, (read not rotten), comes up at one of the 4x4 Auctions, he flies down and drives 'em back, that's why they aren't like the rusty minger falling apart underneath Highland ones ;)

L8r's

·
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,142 ·
That's me heading off East on another "Old Bear's" epic road trip :D :D :D

Not as far to go as some of my previous road trips, but plenty of LR Disco 2's to look at and a friendly knowledgeable fella to discuss 'em with :)

Lets see wot this brings to the D15KOE party, big wad of cash stuffed in ma pocket :ROFLMAO:

TBC .........................

·
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,144 ·
Next post is you buying enough parts to assemble a spare disco.... I know how it starts man... :ROFLMAO:
LOL, ya mean ya know me only too well ;)

Just got back.

I bagged ....

TD5 Torque converter, perfect condition, clean fluid etc etc. I couldn't buy one on Flea of the Bay for under £395, but none on there atm, that is worth £200 core charge to me if I need to buy that Ashcroft Converter, this was the part I really wanted and went there for, plus I had me list of little odds and ends.

I also got the elusive Front passenger Seat (has the correct pattern / cover for the base of my drivers Seat, they are symmetrical so will strip the Seat, clean the cover, it's just dirty, but no wear at all, and fit it to my drivers Seat, which is the only bit of trim in my D15KOE that has any wear ;)

Spare Roof Mounted C/L Antennae Module, in case mine doesn't work when I go to program my refurbished Key PCB's.

2 x Sunroof trims, for around the Head-lining inside, one of mine is tatty and needs replaced since the Mookies got at it ;)

Sunroofs have Netting Roller Blinds, one of mine has a broken plastic catch, I got that.

Got a really nice pair of inner rear Wheel-arch seals as one of mine was grotty on that side I welded up.

Plus a few other little bitties and bobs, all of this stuff is now un-obtainium from Land Rover ....................

So I came to settle up with him, and he insisted he didn't want a penny, just happy to help, in the end I gave him £50.00 and said get you and your wife a nice take away :)

But ...........................

OK, OK you were almost right @Deplore ....................

I also bought a Complete Chassis which still has all the original paint on it up to 3/4's from front to rear, also with good Axles, much tidier and less rust than mine, again still got there original paint on 'em ;)

It has the same Wheels on it as mine, all running Gear including the Auto Box and Transfer Box, (this is the one the Converter came from), it also has a Body Shell on top, which has Doors, Bonnet etc tons of spares, but some glass and all interior gone, still has Steering Column, Steering Box etc ............................... £200

Once I've picked it up, just before Xmas during my shutdown, this will be left as a rolling Chassis, I'll rip off the Body and scrappy doo can have that, then I'll blast it all with cheap Oil and cover it for a while so I can finish everything else off first on the Silver SLK, and some other bits of Paintwork on the other Cars :)

Grub time :) .....................................

·
*Registered
Looking for an SLK
238 Posts
bought a Complete Chassis which still has all the original paint on it up to 3/4's from front to rear, also with good Axles, much tidier and less rust than mine, again still got there original paint on 'em ;)

It has the same Wheels on it as mine, all running Gear including the Auto Box and Transfer Box, (this is the one the Converter came from), it also has a Body Shell on top, which has Doors, Bonnet etc tons of spares, but some glass and all interior gone, still has Steering Column, Steering Box etc ............................... £200
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that just the complete car without the engine?! 🤣

·
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,146 ·
LOL, I'd say it's about half a car ;)

Reactions: ADH and M4rCu5

·
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,147 · (Edited)
I stripped the Passengers Seat that I got yesterday, scrapped all the Framework etc, and ended up just keeping the Covers. This is the all important Base Cover which will be getting fitted to my Drivers Seat soon. I haven't fully cleaned it yet, just hoovered all the Straw and dust etc off it and gave it a wipe over with a wet cloth which is why it looks patchy colour wise, it is still drying out in my "office area" :)
I will give it a final scrub when it's fitted with that foaming upholstery cleaner :) My Drivers Seat is worn in the area of the red pen ;) All hail the red pen 🤣

Having stripped the Seat now, and found out how it comes apart I can likely fit this without actually removing my Drivers Seat from the D15KOE :)

The all important un-obtanium TD5 Torque Converter ....

So back to working today, (I gotta stop doing customers work on a Sunday :(

But, there is a method in my madness, if I finish the last section of Welding on the wee Transit Connect Van, I can run it down for a retest and that way I get almost all day tomorrow to do the D2's Injector Wiring Harness, set the Injector Bump Clearances, and check whether they are coded correctly in the Engine ECU :)

So, Friday last, here is where I got to on the Van welding .......................

Rebuilt the lip from the inner structure ....

And welded in and finished the Outer Sill ....

So today I will fabricate 3 sections for the Inner Sill under the Van, it needs doing as per the outer, from the front all the way to the rear, so I will do it in 3 sections as it has weird shapes at the very front and very rear, then the rest is just a uniform section to fill in for most of the length in the centre :)

Better crack on then :D :D :D

·
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,148 ·
75% of the Transit Connect Vans inner sill done in one piece ....

Now for the awkward bit ....

Due to the odd shape I'll likely do it by fabricating 3 separate pieces ;)

TTFN .............

·
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,150 · (Edited)
Finished about 7 pm last night, that's the back end sorted, pretty it isn't, solid it is ;)
More patches than a Clowns Trousers, and nope it wasn't a Cloooown called Donald who wouldn't wear his Troooosers :ROFLMAO: ..............

The Elvis impression /\ /\ /\ is legend !! 🤣 When I used to DJ / KJ, we would do a couple of random Karaoke songs during the night, I called it the "Kamikaze" ...............
Folks would put their hands up to come up and sing a song picked by me, to win a bottle of Wine, first hand I saw got to come up ;) That one and a few others that I couldn't possibly put on here would magically appear on Screen ;)

I will shoot the underside with Schutz and the outer section with over-paintable "Stonechip" Paint this morning, then take it for retest ;)

After that, D15KOE 'ing can re commence until perhaps tommorrow, although I might get all week on it, as there is a VW Tiguan (ugh) and a Renault Traffic Van (BIG UGH!!) in for initial Diagnoses Tuesday and Wednesday, after that they will likely both need parts ordering ;)

Ha Haah Haaaaa, He heee heeeee, I might get the rest of the week on my D2 ;)

·
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,153 · (Edited)
Hope ya got some extremely High Velocity Bullets, that's one looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong shot :ROFLMAO:

OK so here's another stroke of luck ..................
These Discovery 2's are like an R170, in as much as programming stuff like Body Module, Key Fobs, etc etc, they are not fully OBD Compliant ;)
Yes my Snap On reads all the modules and will reset codes, but that's it, no Programming :(

For a while now I been looking at a Nanocom, as that will program stuff onto BCM, in my specific case my Heated Front Screen has been fitted, and I added the switch, but it won't work until I Program the Car to tell it that is fitted ;) Plus I recently repaired 2 Key Fob PCB's which now require programming to BCM ;)

Currently if buying new there are 3 machines on the market, Nanocom (the best as a current new purchase) then there is Britpart Lynx EVO which is a phone app and Bluetooth, and is reputed to be useless on D2, also there is some other one which folks in the know reckon is not much use.

Used there is Lynx Legacy, made by Omitec who make the proper Land Rover Dealership Test Book 4, the Lynx Legacy is Laptop Based with Multiplexer and Lead etc, but they hardly ever come up for sale, and the Test Books go for gazillions, even if one does come up :(

I asked my local MOT Man (who is into Discoveries) if he had Nanocom, but not ;)
At this point his partner suggested I tried a local guy who he thought had one, but has since sold his Range Rover ;)
I know this guy Jim well, often had a few beers with him pre Lockdowns.

Yesterday I went to visit Jim, yes he has a Diag Machine, not sure which one ................

Turns out its a barely used Lynx Legacy, and yes I can take it away and play, Sale or Return, (sale means doing him a favour on a Car repair he says) even better ;)
All these machines come with All models loaded, but you have to purchase unlock codes for the Models you want to work on ;)
He says it has Range Rover Sport, (the car he had), L322 older Range Rover, and he thinks he added Discovery 2 ...............

It didn't come with a Laptop, but did come with everything including the Software on a USB stick.
So after I got shot of the wee van, I built up a Dell D630 with 2Ghz Processor, 3Gb RAM and a 250Gb HDD, did a fresh instal of Windows 7 Pro :)

The install instructions were woeful, I ended up doing something wrong and thus had to un install the s/w and go again, this time I had found more instructions via Google ....................
Late last night I got it working, yes it has Disco 2 and Range Rover Sport Enabled, there are however 3 Unlock Code cards in the Box, so looks like I need to add the L322 Code, (don't know how yet), but not important although I do have a customer who has L322 Rangey ;)

Looks like my luck is changing for the better atm ............. 'bout time :) Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ;)

Some Pixels :-

The unobtanium Lynx Legacy ....

The 3 models unlock codes, (home being the fist one he bought (Range Rover Sport) ....

Lets install it and add another Dell to my "fleet" ....

By then it was getting late, so I just took a quick tour as I was needing feeding :ROFLMAO:

The Start Screen, Models in Blue are the unlocked ones, you can see the L322 Range Rover is missing, but hey ho, I'm sure I can sort that if I really need to ;) ....

So during the latter part of the Install, The Mux and Leads have to be plugged in, so I plugged 'em into D15KOE, this part marries the MUX to the Laptop, and all done, so as it was plugged in lets see if it communicates with D15KOE, which of course it does, I just took a quick look at Programming Menu of the TD5 Engine ECU ....

Working like a champ :)

No doubt there will be more exploration today :)

·
*Registered
Looking for an SLK
238 Posts
That feeling is awesome, innit? Connecting to a vehicle that you didn't have the ability to...like my bike. For as dumb as it is, both mechanically and electrically speaking, it's still advanced enough to require a....SDS! :ROFLMAO:

Were you able to see the BCM in the list?

·
*Registered
Looking for an SLK
238 Posts
Suzuki Diagnostic System. :ROFLMAO:

Unfortunately as I found out, like the disco nanocom or the genuine MB handheld tester, the S(uzuki)DS is also impossible to find, and when it does come up for sale it gets snapped up real quick. The marine industry loves those equipment, because it works on the Suzuki outboard engines, not just ATV, dirt bikes or regular motorcycles.

Try to find an old HHT. Impossible to find and believe me, I've been looking. Coding ME1.7 to ME2.0 requires HHT. The emulator on the laptop is a buggy mess. I don't blame him for being so excited to find something that can interface with his disco, I was similarly happy to find something that can interface with my bike.

If MB ever gets into the small engine game, then yes, we all will need an actual SDS....:unsure:

·
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,158 · (Edited)
Were you able to see the BCM in the list?
So sod the paying work, I just finished playing with D15KOE and the Lynx Legacy Machine :D :D :D

Not only was I able to communicate with BCM I was also able to alter all the programming if I wished ................ DRL's, Security stuff, Heated Screen (actually done that) ....................

I also Tried the Key Plips, easy enough to do, Lynx asks ya to press Plip Button as a test, got that far but the Cars BCM isn't seeing the Button Press ..................

That likely means 1 thing, the little RF Module behind the Centre Interior Dome Lamp is suspect, could be it's earth point or could be FUBAR, so as I picked up a spare at the weekend I will do that job soon, apparently it is a common issue ;)

The Heated Front Screen Programming has worked ....

Start Engine, both HRW and Heated Front Screen off ....

Heated Front Screen on ....

HRW and HFS on ....

Can here the Engine revs drop slightly when switching the Front Screen Heaters on so I guess that's working fine :)

Jobs a good un ;)

Oh Joy, I better go and Diagnose one of France's finest now, a Trafic Van 😭 ............................

Y'all can tell there is real enthusiasm for this job :ROFLMAO:

·
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,159 ·
That's the new Injector Harness in, Injector Bump Clearances adjusted (they weren't out), and noted all the Calibration Codes ....

Cam Cover will go back on in the morning, I've glued the new Gasket and want it to be well stuck before putting it back on the Head, the big nuts are holding the back end down to make sure it sticks well, ya can't see that bit when replacing the cover so it needs to stay in position and make sure the semicircular piece is located properly otherwise there will be a mother of an Oil leak ;) ....

Time I was in a Hot Tub wiv Beer(s) :D :D :D

·
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,160 ·
Discovery Injector Harness etc etc all finished yesterday morning, I've left the Soundproofing Cover off the Top of the Engine for now so I can check for Oil weeps over the next few trips out, I road tested it yesterday and pleased to report it's running well, and so far no signs of an Oil leak or random misfire ;)

The pesky Engine Vibe is still there :( That is the only thing I can fault it on now, but boy is it getting on my nerves :mad:
If this was a Mercedes etc just come in the Workshop with this same Vibe I would categorically state "That needs Engine Mounts" ..................
Now, I have already replaced both Engine and Both Trans Mounts, but I must confess as the budget was running wild I used Pattern ones, and yes they did make a difference of approximately half Vibe gone .................. Issue I have is some days it is better than others. Yesterday, hand on Cam Cover the Engine is really sweet, definitely no Misfiring / un eveness, yet some days it seems barely perceptable other days it is more apparent, and yesterday was a more apparent day ............... I haven't yet correlated whether it is worse when the vehicle has stood overnight outside in cold or inside in warm workshop, that info might point to Mounts, (pattern ones have harder rubber) ????????????????????

Hmmmmmmmmmmm I wonder if either I've got a duff one or should slap myself for buying cheap and do them again with genuine LR Parts !!
I have a plan for testing this theory, involving my Engine Crane and Lifting Strop or maybe a Trolley Jack and Wood Block more on that perhaps this weekend ;)

Regarding the Lynx Machine and the missing 3rd Land Rover Model that it should have (L322 Range Rover), I have found a sub menu which is for "Update Firmware Key" so perhaps I should try that and see if it lists the existing Unlock Codes ( D2 and RR Sport) and if there is an option to add the 3rd Unlock Code ....

Trouble is I don't know which of the 3 Unlock Codes I have is for the L322, I can be almost certain it is one of two but I'm loath to mess with it too much in case I brick it or lose one of the 2 Models I have, so here's hoping it gives a list of the 2 Unlock Codes that it has atm .....................

L8r's

2141 - 2160 of 2168 Posts