Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
2001 - 2020 of 2027 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
2,137 Posts
Front end stripped ....

The whole shebang looks a bit droopy on the passenger side there Dave - probably need to get the micrometer out 😹 😹 #ourfavouriteperfectionist

Reactions: M4rCu5

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,003 ·
How is it my fault Dave.....I only pointed out the obvious, ;) and I knew that you wouldn't be able to leave as is ....
:D 🤣 (y) (y) (y)

I was joking that you urged me on to get stuck in and you're dead right I wouldn't be able to leave it the way it was, every time I looked at it it wound me up :ROFLMAO:

BTW the Clear Left Indicator arrived today too :)
The whole shebang looks a bit droopy on the passenger side there Dave
:D 🤣 (y) (y) (y)

There is no bolts on the Bumper Bracket that side atm ;)

Anyways, I'm back from my travels, gotta get a control unit off the back of a Diesel Pump in the most awkward bloody place ever on a customers Car, and get it in the post for repair and then after that DI5KOE play can continue ;)

If it wasn't for the fabrication of the front Tow Hitch being fiddly, it'd be done by now ;)

Here's a teaser ....

The A Bar brackets have been 'ahem cough cough' adjusted 🔨🔨🔨🔨🔨 , so that is now sitting straight and the Bumper will just get a slight lift on the left side when I tighten the bolts on that side, but it's all gotta come off one more time to finish weld the Tow Hitch and paint it before final fit up ;)

Shame I'm gonna have to remove the "LAND ROVER" lettering from the Bonnet and buy new, as likely the same numpty has also stuck that on pie eyed too FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF :mad:

·
*Registered
2010 SLK350
237 Posts
Thats much better........and you could always swap the driving lamps for Cibie's or KC's.............as well as the LED lightbar! :ROFLMAO: Sorry, gone too far again...........

Now, I wouldn't be that bothered about the LR lettering on the bonnet, just take it off and leave it blank and it would still look OK, and save some 💰 (y)

·
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,005 ·
Here's a few more pixels, the Front Tow Hitch is now finished fabrication, has just had a nice thick brushed coat of Zinc Etch Primer, it's hanging up to dry now :)
I will hit it with Satin Black before I go in and then I can start fitting his face back together the morra :) ....

I ordered a couple of 30 amp relays and will re wire the Driving Lamps neatly and properly, the other Relay is for the Light Bar, which will be switched via a proper Land Rover Front Foglamp Switch on the Dash, and will be wired (as will the Driving Lamps), so they all cut off when switching from full beam to dipped, as per UK regs.
Basically they all have their own independent fused power supply, the only load on the Discos Full Beam circuit will be the two Relays Coils ;)

I also ordered a neat little Switch for the installation of the rear LED Work Lamp :)

I vill be baaack .........

·
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,006 · (Edited)
That front end jobbie was an epic ....................

I knew it would be time consuming as there was so much to do whilst having the A Bar, Grille and all the Lights etc outta the way, but it's all done now :) I will buy new lettering for the Bonnet, but looking at around £80, and I've spent this months project budget and plenty over already, so down the priorities list right now, the Front End looks amazing now, well happy with it :)

Pixels :-

So I built a nice Sub Loom for the Driving Lamps, started off with a 15 Amp fuse inside the Fuse and Relay Box, onwards to a 30 Amp Relay fixed properly to the Headlamp Panel with the Relay and Lamps Earth Terminals, and then from the Relay, two x twin core Cables one for each Lamp, all working nicely now and nothing flapping around loose, no "Scotch Lock" junk connectors anywhere, I soldered the Relays trigger wire into the Full Beam circuit and heat shrunk it :) ....

Sprayed some Waxoyl inside the Bosch Lamp Casings ....

Whilst I was in behind the Radiator Grille I found this just dangling around ....

Here's the other half, which was attached to the Transmission Oil Temperature Warning Light Switch ....

Clearly the aforementioned so called "mechanics" couldn't spend literally 5 minutes to change the Plugs when they fitted a new Trans Oil Cooler :mad: ...................
It's kind of an important part especially when working the vehicle hard whilst Towing, once again, it took me 5 minutes to fix, beggars belief really :(

The pack of Brake Hose metal clips arrived so I rectified this "inept bodge artist special" whilst D15KOE was in the air ....

.................................. Yeah it passed an MOT like that ................................. KJ Tester too huh !!

And now, I have a Discovery with it's new nicely aligned Face :) ....

I just love the way the Rioja Red changes hue to a "Copper" colour in different light conditions :) :) :)

Well happy with the end result :)

The replacement Half Shaft is here, plus I have a load of other parts to fit, I will put a new CV Boot on that Shaft and keep it, will swap it when my "Loctite special shaft" shows signs of leakage, or last job, whichever occurs sooner ;)

Cue the Music .................. Back Soon :)

·
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,009 · (Edited)
Land Rover Disco looks like the Bailiffs have been in :D :D :D

I was dreading this job, dunno why, probably because I read somewhere that the D2 is a bear, and I haven't done a D2 before ;)

However bear it was not, about half hour with a handful of basic tools and it was all stripped out, "No Clips, Trim pieces etc were harmed in the making of this production" :) ....

So here is my Curved LED Light Bar, dangling from suitably placed Cable Ties, I'm happy with the alignment, so I've Marked the Roof, I'll get it drilled tomorrow, and final fixed ....

Whilst the Headlining is out I will also fit the Work Lamp at the rear in the centre of the Roof shining downwards :)

I doubt I'll refit the Headliner this week, I will either re-cover it or more likely just repair the usual droopy bits, (I've done both on Disco 1's and Range Rovers in the past with good effect) :)
Then before refitting I will give it a clean up :) I have refitted the B Pillar (Seat Belt) Trims so if needs be I will still be able to drive it :)

Ton of work in this coming week 3 non starters all suspected ECU issues, I'll bet at least 2 of 'em aren't, that is the standard excuse that muppet garages give when they don't know what is wrong, then they send 'em to me ;)

Time Dave woz not 'ere :D

·
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,010 ·
So I didn't get as far yesterday as I'd liked, but had a nice day none-the-less .............

Mel cooked Brunch that's when most of the work stopped, absolutely huge plate fulla grub, then just when I thought I was nearly finished she proceeded to pile some of hers onto my plate, which of course I duly ate :D :D :D

To say that the afternoon went slowly would be an understatement :ROFLMAO:

Anyways here's where I'm at with Disco ....

LED Bar final fitted ....

Work Light final fitted ....

Cable entry grommets rear (and front same)

Rear Wiring all run in following main Loom route above right Door Pillars and down right A pillar as far as the under Dash Fuse Box, connected to 12V Supply to test the Wiring so far ....

I have bought 2 spare Front and Rear Fog Lamp Switches to fit in the 2 blank slots on the left of the Dash Cluster, plus the correct Terminal Plugs for the Switches :)
These will then Switch the Front LED Bar, (via Relay controlled by Full Beam circuit), and the other will be on / off powered from a Key Pos 1 (Acc) circuit for the rear Work Lamp :) ....

So might get some time today to connect the Cable for the LED Bar then run that down the right front Screen Pillar and make some connections etc ;)

Gotta bell out the Wiring to find suitable Supply points etc, and add the illumination circuit for the 2 new Switches :)
There is a nice convenient M6 Threaded Hole unused behind the Drivers lower Dash Panel / Fuse Box Cover, so I can use that for securing my LED Bar Relay and the Lamp Earths :)

Relay shouldn't be required for the rear Work Lamp, measured that sucker yesterday, it only draws 0.9 amps, so I'd like to think the Switch can cope with that :)

L8r's ............................

·
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,012 · (Edited)
Small update .......................

Sadly I had already bought Discovery 2 Fog Lamp Switches plus Blue and Green plug kits for my LED Light Bar and Rear Work Light, before I realised they are not suitable as they don't latch the circuit, they just send a pulse to the BCM (Body Control Module), which switches on the "whatever" :(
:rolleyes:

I have now ordered the workaround, which is to use LR Puma Defender Heated Seat Switches with Black Plug kits .............
Ho Hum, who'da thought the humble Discovery 2 was using the same sort of Wiring tech as a Mercedes :ROFLMAO:
:D

Still I'll need the fronts off the used Fog Lamp Switches I bought as the Defender Heated Seat Switches fronts are a square shape as opposed to Discovery's oblong, and have a Heated Seat Symbol ;)
Should be here for the weekend :)

I can complete the wiring to the Switch Terminals meantime and just swap the Connector pins into the Black Plastic Plugs when they and the new Switches arrive ............. = 5 minutes plug and play :)

·
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,014 · (Edited)
I'm just plain flat out here with broken Customers Cars and waiting for parts to arrive.

In between times I have managed to clean up all the removed Headliner and inside Trim pieces taken out during the process, and now refitted them all, including repairs to the saggy Headliner material, by stapling all around the unseen edge areas, and using carefully placed grey plastic Fir Tree Studs, with M6 washers behind the flimsy fibreglass moulding, which stretches the material back into the shape of the Moulding underneath it :)
Then finally melt the ends over into a mushroom shape atop the washers .................

I can't justify paying out to re-trim or replace the Headliner with new, it's not a new Vehicle, it's not a Car for "best" it is a Towing Vehicle that is for workshop use so yes, spend money on making it reliable and well equipped for driving one end of the country to the other is the more sensible choice :)

Yup saggy Headliners annoy the hell outta me, this IMHO tidies it up, costs peanuts and doesn't annoy me any more :)

A few pixels ....

Yeah, I'm happy with that, just gotta sort out a couple of Plastic Trimmy Clipamabobby artifacts to cover the gaps in the two Sunroofs Beading Trims :)
At least it is re fitted nicely, and I've cleaned all the "Bear minging poop" off everything now, needs a final hoovering to get rid off all the fluff and dross that all came out from the Trims and Headliner removal :ROFLMAO:

So next job is to wire in the 2 Switches, (when they arrive) on the dash for the LED Light Bar and Work Light, all wiring is now in the vicinity :)

TBC .....................

·
*Premium Member
2,137 Posts
I'm just plain flat out here with broken Customers Cars and waiting for parts to arrive.

In between times I have managed to clean up all the removed Headliner and inside Trim pieces taken out during the process, and now refitted them all, including repairs to the saggy Headliner material, by stapling all around the unseen edge areas, and using carefully placed grey plastic Fir Tree Studs, with M6 washers behind the flimsy fibreglass moulding, which stretches the material back into the shape of the Moulding underneath it :)
Then finally melt the ends over into a mushroom shape atop the washers .................

I can't justify paying out to re-trim or replace the Headliner with new, it's not a new Vehicle, it's not a Car for "best" it is a Towing Vehicle that is for workshop use so yes, spend money on making it reliable and well equipped for driving one end of the country to the other is the more sensible choice :)

Yup saggy Headliners annoy the hell outta me, this IMHO tidies it up, costs peanuts and doesn't annoy me any more :)

A few pixels ....

Yeah, I'm happy with that, just gotta sort out a couple of Plastic Trimmy Clipamabobby artifacts to cover the gaps in the two Sunroofs Beading Trims :)
At least it is re fitted nicely, and I've cleaned all the "Bear minging poop" off everything now, needs a final hoovering to get rid off all the fluff and dross that all came out from the Trims and Headliner removal :ROFLMAO:

So next job is to wire in the 2 Switches, (when they arrive) on the dash for the LED Light Bar and Work Light, all wiring is now in the vicinity :)

TBC .....................
Nice job! Studs give it a kind of Chesterfield effect.

·
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,019 ·
🤣 fellas, It's still an almost 21 year old Discovery II with all the "Patina" that goes with it 🤣

The nice thing about any Land Rover no matter how old or dirty, you can turn up at the Queens Regatta, go to a Wedding or go down the Pub and no one gives a damn, it simply doesn't look outta place anywhere, (well except perhaps Chelsea / Kensington etc), where the only thing they ever climb up is the kerb outside the School or Gym etc :p

·
*Premium Member
2,137 Posts
You know that it's a long haul trailer hauler (well it will be when you've given it a good test). I was just thinking, the Little Growler needs the air-con sorting....... You could bed the disco and trailer in when you come down to collect it :unsure:

{Runs away and waits for explosion} :ROFLMAO:

2001 - 2020 of 2027 Posts