Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my SLK 320's CEL is on.

After a readout the following errors come forward:

(please note that I've translated them from Dutch)

[131] O2 sensor (cil. bank 2, sensor 2) signal not logical
[016] O2 sensor (cil. bank 1, sensor 2) signal not logical

Car starts and runs fine but the CEL stays on.

Can anyone explain what these errors mean? and how to get rid of them?
Are my O2 sensors broken or is this an error that there is something wrong with my fuel mixture?

Another (tiny) question:

When I accelerate hard and / or press the kickdown and the engine starts revving I hear a rattle from what I think is underneath the car.

Does this sound familliar to anyone?

any help is GREATLY appreciated!

:Beer:

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
Welcome from New Hampshire, the rattle could be from the cats. As far as the o2 errors I would clean the MAF then clear the codes and go from there. Sometimes cheap gas will cause a code; also use some good fuel injector cleaner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply!

You say it can be the cat that rattles?
When the car is in P or N and I rev the engine I hear no rattle

also,

do you happen to know anything about the specific error codes?

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
I don't know that much about the error codes for the 02 sensors, i do know that 9 times out of 10 if you have a dirty MAF or a bad tank of gas you can get a false positive reading.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
both o2 sensors will be replaced by my garage.

I hope this will solve the CEL problem.
If not I'm going to try to clean the MAF.

What is the success rate of MAF cleaning?

Is driving with 'broken' post cat o2 sensors harmful to my car?
It runs and drives perfectly if the light wasn't on I'd have no idea something is 'broken'

·
Registered
63 Posts
If the catalytic convertor is rattling that means it is coming apart and is not doing its job. If both cats are making noise that can cause the rear O2 sensors to read wrong. MBs are prone to convertor failure just as you described, we have done numerous cat. convertors. Sensor 2 refers to the sensor after the catalytic convertor. Its job is mainly to monitor the catalyst to be sure it is doing its job.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the catalytic convertor is rattling that means it is coming apart and is not doing its job. If both cats are making noise that can cause the rear O2 sensors to read wrong. MBs are prone to convertor failure just as you described, we have done numerous cat. convertors. Sensor 2 refers to the sensor after the catalytic convertor. Its job is mainly to monitor the catalyst to be sure it is doing its job.

Good luck.

Yes that would be IF they are the cats I hear when I press the kickdown.

Shouldn't the rattling sound also be present when I press the gaspedal when the car is in P or N?

I only hear the rattle when I accelerate really fast!

Also, can I just keep driving like this?
I need the car this weekend and I have a garage appointment on next tuesday :mad:

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'd say you're probably fine to keep driving the car for a few days - I would.

I agree with Furrin that this is likely a CAT issue, depending on the degree of desintegration of the cat internals the rattle may appear only under certain loads or under certain vibrations.

In my truck (yes, significantly different setup) I had a rattling Cat that would only rattle while stopped, in drive, foot on brake, and A/C on....turning the A/C off, or accelerating stopped the noise. After awhile the noise began to occur more frequently so I had it replaced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.