Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ADDING EDIT: Can someone look at there tensioner pulley and let me know if the belt overhangs the pulley, or does it all ride on the pulley. Mine overhangs the front edge by 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch.

Some background. I replaced the original belt (12 years old) and also replaced the idler because of obvious bad bearing. 6 months later the belt came off. So I replaced the tensioner but all didn't seem right. The belt doesn't ride squarely on the tensioner pulley and the belt is also slightly off center on the water pump pulley. In the last couple days the belt started squeaking bad, so I did some research. Looks like some vibration dampners can be a problem. Mine is a 2003 so I'm not sure. While running I can visually see the crank pulley has a very slight wobble, but not much. Any input on this?

Very frustrated lately as I bought this with very low mileage and it only has 25000 miles now, but so far I've had the K40 problem, immobilizer problem, bad idler, and now this issue. The belt alignment just looks wrong in my opinion and if the crank pulley is an issue now I'm hoping it's something I can fix without much problem, and I don't need the dealer to do this.

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
348 Posts
ADDING EDIT: Can someone look at there tensioner pulley and let me know if the belt overhangs the pulley, or does it all ride on the pulley. Mine overhangs the front edge by 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch.

Some background. I replaced the original belt (12 years old) and also replaced the idler because of obvious bad bearing. 6 months later the belt came off. So I replaced the tensioner but all didn't seem right. The belt doesn't ride squarely on the tensioner pulley and the belt is also slightly off center on the water pump pulley. In the last couple days the belt started squeaking bad, so I did some research. Looks like some vibration dampners can be a problem. Mine is a 2003 so I'm not sure. While running I can visually see the crank pulley has a very slight wobble, but not much. Any input on this?

Very frustrated lately as I bought this with very low mileage and it only has 25000 miles now, but so far I've had the K40 problem, immobilizer problem, bad idler, and now this issue. The belt alignment just looks wrong in my opinion and if the crank pulley is an issue now I'm hoping it's something I can fix without much problem, and I don't need the dealer to do this.
Will check in the morning I have a 320 so will take a photo.
Regards Stuart.

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK32 AMG
5,641 Posts
Well......mine has 52,000 miles. Had it in for service and my Indy said to come and look at the dampener. You could visibly see that the rubber on the dampener was delaminating. A portin of the rubber was sticking out, making it look out of round. Had it replaced. Part cost $410. Depending on your model, there are two vibration dampeners that were under warranty for the 320 engine. I don't have the numbers, but you can find them on a search of the forum. Compare to your data card part number.

HOWEVER.....an MB dealer has to replace the part to get it warrantied, if your car has the part number. Be sure to call them first if you decide to go that route.

The failure of the dampener is not an unusual problem.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If your SLK32 is a 2004 and mine is a 2003 then they most likely have the same part number. Do you happen to know where the part number is located on the part? I have to leave town for Thanksgiving but will check it out Monday.

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK32 AMG
5,641 Posts
Hold...happen to still have the part. It is stamped on the front edge of the dampener, on the radiator side of the belt with the timing marks. My part number is 135.07.00. Perhaps the same number but not necessarily.

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK32 AMG
5,641 Posts
No overhang...the tensioner is probably cheaper to replace. The dampener is an MB part only. I checked at Chrysler for an srt6 one and it was more expensive. You may want to look under the car at the dampener and see if the rubber is sticking out anywhere. That is what delamination is. You may want to look to make sure it is moving front to back and scrubbing other parts. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will check in detail on Monday. I just replaced the tensioner less than 100 miles ago. Bought from Autohauz and can't prove one way or another if it's a bad one. I'd hate to buy another just on a hunch it's bad, but might have to.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hold...happen to still have the part. It is stamped on the front edge of the dampener, on the radiator side of the belt with the timing marks. My part number is 135.07.00. Perhaps the same number but not necessarily.
Just checked and I have the same part number. I also removed the fan, etc., and I'm pretty sure it's the problem. The crank pulley is approx 1/4 inch outward of other pulleys which is why the belt is overhanging the tensioner pulley.

So I gathering this was not a recall and I have 3 choices. Dealer, Indy, or myself making the change. The dealer is 1 1/2 hours away, and I know a local who can do the job, but the labor as always will kill you. So having surrendered to the dealer for the immobilizer I'm in favor of doing it myself. Anyone here that has done it and was it difficult? If difficult I'll have someone else do it.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,881 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK32 AMG
5,641 Posts
Not a recall, sorry. If,you have all the parts already off, you might as well give it a try. My Indy charged me $120 labor and his cost for the part $410. Thought it was fair enough.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.