Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
*Registered
2002 SLK32 AMG
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2002 has 135,000 miles on it. I bought it back in March with 130,000 on it knowing it needed a few things like the interior parts painted and a stereo upgrade. It's turned out my wife really likes it not because of it's performance but it's blue, almost purple color so it's become her daily driver. This leaves her C300 Sport available to me when not in the company truck but I digress.

I took the car to a shop when we first bought it that I've had work on our C300 but had thought they had gotten very expensive. I did have them do the motor and transmission mounts, one of the many repairs they recommended, as I knew that was a big job and I simply am not equiped tools wise for such undertakings. They also said the oil pump seals were leaking causing the serpintine belt to get all oily and slip. Had them replace the seals and the belt but said they also needed $700 to replace the leaking valve cover gaskets. I passed on that as well as it seems very expensive for replacing two $18 gaskets.

A month or so ago my wife and I were out and as I don't get to drive the car too often I opened her up on a nice long stretch of open road. Much to my chagrin, when I slowed down and stopped at a red light the Check Engine light came on. As I left the light I could tell the car was running rough as if missing a cylinder. I limped it another quarter mile or so to our destination, put the top up and shut it off, desperately hoping it would reset itself and that no damage had been done. I've driven the car relatively hard before, including when we test drove it and had had no problems.

When we returned to the car an hour or so later the light was still on but the stammering had gone away which I thought to be a relief. I called our repair shop and had them diagnose the problem. The car needs all new plugs, wires and coil packs for some rediculous amount of money. They reset the light and I picked it back up as I told them I wasn't spending another $1500 or $1700 or whatever it was on the car.

So my wife continues to drive it and just putts around as usual and has no problems but again I drove it, got on it and the light came back on along with the stumbling engine. I shifted the car into neutral, shut off the ignition, continuing to roll down the road. My wife thought I was crazy. I then restarted the car and the stumble was gone, though the Check Engine light is still on even as I write this.

I'm considering doing the plugs, wires and coils myself but other than planning to order the wire puller tool, I'm not sure what or where to buy the parts. I've seen Bosch, NGK and others but what should I put in for plugs and does it matter who makes the wires and coils? And where on line should I buy all this stuff? Any recommended videos or anything else to assist in this would also be great.

Any help is greatly appreciated by this SLK32 AMG newbie.

Thanks!

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
749 Posts
FCPeuro.com
Great people with vast knowledge
Parts guarantee for life
Prices are right on
Service is speedy

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK32 AMG
5,636 Posts
I think it highly unlikely it needs all new coils, wires, and plugs. Might help if you do a search on the forum for similar problems. A second opinion from a good Indy may be a good idea.
32’s rule! 😈😈 😈. 😈😈

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
749 Posts
At 135,000 , I would be doing plugs and wires
Simple and inexpensive job
Coils could wait till after that
Also maybe a bottle of Chevron Techron in a fresh tank of gas

·
*Registered
2003 SLK32 AMG
64 Posts
The check engine light will remain on until the stored code is reset.

Any decent independent can read the codes for $20, and you can then make an informed choice about if/when to have the issue addressed.

·
*Registered
2002 SLK32 AMG
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I went to FCPeuro and they have a kit as I've decided to replace the plugs and wires first to see how it goes.

Does anyone have an opinion about which plugs and wires to use? They have Mercedes, Bosch and NGK's. The Mercedes plugs are really expensive. Same with the wires. I'm not against spending the money but I don't like to waste it.

Your help and opinions are greatly appreciated.

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
749 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. I went to FCPeuro and they have a kit as I've decided to replace the plugs and wires first to see how it goes.

Does anyone have an opinion about which plugs and wires to use? They have Mercedes, Bosch and NGK's. The Mercedes plugs are really expensive. Same with the wires. I'm not against spending the money but I don't like to waste it.

Your help and opinions are greatly appreciated.
Since my Crossfire days , with MB, always gone with only Bosch parts.
They are highly recommended by many

·
*Registered
2002 SLK32 AMG
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bosch plugs and wires along with new air filters on the way via FCPeuro. What's funny is that I had done enough research to know I needed the boot prying tool so I ordered it on line. From FCPeuro yesterday.

Any special instructions or is this a pretty strait forward job?

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
749 Posts
Bosch plugs and wires along with new air filters on the way via FCPeuro. What's funny is that I had done enough research to know I needed the boot prying tool so I ordered it on line. From FCPeuro yesterday.

Any special instructions or is this a pretty strait forward job?
Take your time and enjoy
You seem to have done your homework
I am a nut that loves to work on my ride
Very stress relief
If I haven't cussed a little and busted a knuckle , I have done something wrong
Needswings.com is another great place, Rob there is fantastic person

·
*Registered
2002 SLK32 AMG
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've learned in my older years to be more patient and do as you said and take my time. Parts should be here in a couple days and I'm putting aside most of next weekend to get the job done. Plus, I have my cousin who is very good with the wrench, even if it usually is on BMW's.

Thanks for the advice and I'll post when the job is done.

·
*Registered
2002 SLK32 AMG
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So it took longer than I thought before I had the time to do the plugs and wires in the car but I finally finished it up a few hours ago after a two night adventure.

It was not easy, especially for a novice like myself. I watched tons of videos though I could find none specific to my motor. That will change as I did take video and will get it posted in the near future.

The plug on the back drivers side was a real bitch but I started with that one so all the others seemed easier. When I finally got everything back in order and started it up, the Check Engine light was out but the ESP light came on. A quick Google search remedied the problem and it was time for a test drive. I took it to a stretch I knew I could open it up on and did. Numerous times. No Check Engine light came back on as it had before when romping on it so I feel it a worth while project. I am looking forward to some other under hood projects in the near future.

All this being said, I still think there is an occasional stumble in the car, though I only noticed it at idle at lights and it was kind of intermittent. I asked my wife if she thought the car ran better or worse and she said the same. As I didn't own the car from new, I guess I expected the smoothness of our 2013 C300 Sport. Am I expecting something I shouldn't or is it possible a cylinder is only running on one plug sometimes or......?

Thanks so much for all who advised.

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
749 Posts
So it took longer than I thought before I had the time to do the plugs and wires in the car but I finally finished it up a few hours ago after a two night adventure.

It was not easy, especially for a novice like myself. I watched tons of videos though I could find none specific to my motor. That will change as I did take video and will get it posted in the near future.

The plug on the back drivers side was a real bitch but I started with that one so all the others seemed easier. When I finally got everything back in order and started it up, the Check Engine light was out but the ESP light came on. A quick Google search remedied the problem and it was time for a test drive. I took it to a stretch I knew I could open it up on and did. Numerous times. No Check Engine light came back on as it had before when romping on it so I feel it a worth while project. I am looking forward to some other under hood projects in the near future.

All this being said, I still think there is an occasional stumble in the car, though I only noticed it at idle at lights and it was kind of intermittent. I asked my wife if she thought the car ran better or worse and she said the same. As I didn't own the car from new, I guess I expected the smoothness of our 2013 C300 Sport. Am I expecting something I shouldn't or is it possible a cylinder is only running on one plug sometimes or......?

Thanks so much for all who advised.
Don't you feel better???
Having conquered this????
All the fun and enjoyment with satisfaction mixed in???
Proud of you!!!!!!!!!!!
Now come do mine

·
*Registered
2002 SLK32 AMG
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Leaving MA tomorrow morning with stops in WV and NC en route to SC so if you're on the way just get the parts and I'll swing in and take care of it. Should only take me like 4 or 5 hours now that I've done it once.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts