Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Does my 2002 SLK32 have a MAF, and if so, where would I find it in order to clean it?

Thanks!

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
94,118 Posts
search top right for 'maf'. others will chime in

·
94,118 Posts

·
94,118 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SLK32 MAF location

Thanks, but the SLK32 is a bit different and I'm not finding it. Anyone know if it's behind the black plastic panel at the "Y" junction of the two intake runners just before the throttle body? Generally the MAF has it's own electrical connector. The only connector on the 32 is going to the throttle body. Would it be downstream from the supercharger perhaps?
Thanks

·
94,118 Posts
Daytonajae has a 32 and you do not have enuff posts to pm so you will have to wait until he jumps in or do this:

If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.

I will pm him to thread for you

·
94,118 Posts
you could post your vin and we can get you a diagram of it

·
94,118 Posts
The MERCEDES-BENZ SLK32 AMG Mass Air Flow sensor is usually installed in the intake air duct between the air filter and the throttle body mounted on the intake manifold. Some mass air flow sensors are mounted directly to the throttle body.

Description
The Air Flow Sensor or Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) is one of the components of an electronic fuel injection system and is found in many of modern vehicles. Most mass air flow sensors are one piece hermetically sealed units with no moving components.

Purpose
The Mass Air Flow sensor is used to measure (actually weight) the amount of air entering the engine. This measurement is used by the engine computer or ECM to calculate proper amount of fuel injected into the cylinders in order to provide optimum combustion and low emissions.

Maintenance Tips/Suggestions
MERCEDES-BENZ SLK32 AMG Mass air flow sensor requires no regular maintenance. On mass air flow sensors with a sense wire, this wire can become contaminated with dust particles. These particles can be removed with automotive solvents that are safe for the use on mass air flow sensors. MERCEDES-BENZ SLK32 AMG mass air flow sensors are commonly misdiagnosed. Before replacing the mass air flow sensor check for air leaks in the connecting air ducts and intake manifold. These leaks can cause similar symptoms as a malfunctioning mass air flow sensor.

Failure symptoms
Problems with Mass Air Flow sensors are common. Bad or contaminated MERCEDES-BENZ SLK32 AMG Mass Air Flow sensor can possibly cause a wide range of various vehicle drivability problems such as stalling, especially when the engine is cold, misfiring, poor acceleration, etc. In addition, a problem with the Mass Air Flow sensor often causes the "check engine" or "service engine soon" light in the vehicle instrument panel to illuminate.

AKA
MAF, Air Flow Meter

·
Registered
307 Posts
After a bit of research through various forums I have found the answer.
The SLK32 does not have a MAF, it has a MAP. :D

Now, I wonder whether it is OK to fit K&N air filters instead of my paper ones given the school of thought that the oil from the K&N's can influence the MAF which I now haven't got.

Any thoughts?

Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts