Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 SLK 280. Want to do something about tires and I think I want to go to a wider tire with a lower profile.

Front: from 205/55/19 to 225/50/16 .09% diameter difference
Rear: from 225/50/16 to 245/45/16 .69% diameter difference

From what I can figure it should not mess with the ASR system (I think) Anyway I can find out?

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the links... I know the tire sizes are close. .09% and .69% difference between OEM and the lower and wider tire. I need to know if the change will cause any problems with the electronic balanced braking system in the car because they are not the same size.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Thanks for the links... I know the tire sizes are close. .09% and .69% difference between OEM and the lower and wider tire. I need to know if the change will cause any problems with the electronic balanced braking system in the car because they are not the same size.
Based on gesstalt: probably not. Perhaps the engineers in the forum may chime in and give us a definitive answer.

·
Registered 2008 SLK55 AMG
1,561 Posts
Wont be a good look with 16 inch rims IMO. Also your ride wont be any better with side wall flex i would imagine.

Your profile is not changing much as you are just going wider and the fraction becomes smaller [sidewall/width of tyre]. 225/45/17 and 245/40/17 are standard fitments in UK for 17 inch rims in R171. Looks fine.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again! I made a choice today and ordered the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11's in the stock size. I am going to get the Bilstiens as soon as I find out what the difference in between the shaft length on the 6's and 8's. I would prefer the stiffer dampening of the 8's but want to make sure that the stock springs will "play nice". Either way I will be better off that with the OEM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts