Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My slk 280 needs a front wing replacing due to a prang I had 3 days ago. I am getting this done through the insurance. It is also possible that I may need a new bumper also. But I was wondering if they only replace the wing would they respray the bonnet also so there is no colour mis-match? It's obsidian black metallic. Just wondering as I have an insurance person to come and look at the damage this week. Just wondering if anyone has any advice on what they will do ?

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,379 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,246 Posts
Ive seen some horrific insurance work jobs lately .
If you can waiver the donour car get it done locally and they will prob do a better job .

And exactly what you specify .

Insurance work is get it out quick sadly .

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
13,317 Posts
Welcome From the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have insisted that it's done my Mercedes surely that should make a difference?
I am using a garage Mercedes uses and recommends for the body repair. So I am assuming even though it's going through the insurance company, The repair will be good.

I am just wondering if they will have to spray the bonnet etc also for colour ?

As if you just change wing and possibly bumper it could be possible to see a colour miss match

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,777 Posts
Welcome from Madrid ...

I'd say you're more limely to notice a difference between the wing and the rest of the side of the car , than the wing and the bonnet , if anywhere ....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome from Madrid ...

I'd say you're more limely to notice a difference between the wing and the rest of the side of the car , than the wing and the bonnet , if anywhere ....
Yeah I agree with that also,But still not sure what they will do repair wise. Just a little worried about colour mis-match where ever it maybe on the car.

Just wasn't sure if someone knew what they would do if you have to replace a wing if they just replace that and leave the rest or blend it in. ButI guess I will just have to wait and see what they say when someone come round to see the car.

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
1,274 Posts
Welcome from Hillsboro, Oregon! Insurance is obligated to have the car repaired to pre-loss condition, and that means the paint has to match everywhere. A good body shop (and since yours is used by M-B themselves, they probably are) will partially paint adjacent panels to blend in the color and then clearcoat over the whole area.

For a replacement wing (fender) that means overspraying onto the adjacent door, bonnet (hood), bumper, and possibly A-pillar. If your bumper is replaced as well, they should respray the whole front end blending onto the doors. Remember, the insurance company works for you and not the other way around. You have to be satisfied with the quality of work; that's why you pay your premiums.

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
Now, there is the difference between the USofA and the UK…!!!

You have a service culture second to none and the UK has a culture of if-we-can-get-away-with-it,-great! UK insurance companies will do everything possible not to work to its customer's satisfaction!

As for the immediate problem, I am just not sure. They will not spend more money than necessary, and much as I would love to think like Beekster, the cynic still comes out in me! Are you the third party? You might have more clout if you are.

I think this is one where you take control - have it out with the insurance and repairer that the repair must be perfect and that black fades etc etc and if necessary ensure they will paint adjacent panels. Get it in writing!

·
Premium Member 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
15,205 Posts
Welcome from central Florida, USA!

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K
1,138 Posts
Hello, My slk 280 needs a front wing replacing due to a prang I had 3 days ago. I am getting this done through the insurance. It is also possible that I may need a new bumper also. But I was wondering if they only replace the wing would they respray the bonnet also so there is no colour mis-match? It's obsidian black metallic. Just wondering as I have an insurance person to come and look at the damage this week. Just wondering if anyone has any advice on what they will do ?
From long experience in UK Insurance Industry...I can tell you that the Insurance companies use reputable firms to do their work...no point in not doing so as it only costs more in the long run if the work is done badly.

So take heart... but do discuss your worries with your Insurer. Always better to talk things through, then everyone knows exactly where they are :smile:

And if you are unhappy with what is said... keep on talking to them and insist on going higher up the chain of command if necessary !

Good luck.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,411 Posts
Hi and welcome from the UK Midlands! :)

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,454 Posts
Welcome from Washington, DC.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K
1,138 Posts
lucyloo123;2114657..... Just wondering as I have an insurance person to come and look at the damage this week. Just wondering if anyone has any advice on what they will do ?[/QUOTE said:
So, lucyloo123 ... How did you get on with the Insurance Company ??

:smile::smile::smile:

Stella

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.