Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help please? When I press boot button on key should the boot lid rise or just unlock the boot. I've a 2002 C220 and the boot lid rises but on my C250 CDI the boot just unlocks.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,907 Posts
just unlocks

SLKs have never had a trunk that opens all by itself

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,907 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
It doesn't open as such, it just pops up so you don't need to operate the handle. I never actually use it myself.

·
Banned
297 Posts
It doesn't open as such, it just pops up so you don't need to operate the handle. I never actually use it myself.
Yep, the only advantage in using the button is that the car relocks the boot when you close it, but who puts stuff in the boot and then doesn't get in the car?

·
Banned
974 Posts

Which seems a bit pointless. I assumed such gimmicks were to avoid pretty delicate hands getting dirty when using the manual button. Trouble is the SLK boot/trunk lid is so darned heavy the springs are not strong enough for it to spring wide open in any case. Lot of lubrication makes no difference it's still a heavy weight to open.

·
Banned
974 Posts
Can anyone help please? When I press boot button on key should the boot lid rise or just unlock the boot. I've a 2002 C220 and the boot lid rises but on my C250 CDI the boot just unlocks.

Seems silly just for the boot to click open, it means pretty delicate fingers will still get soiled fully opening it.
I suspect the lid is too heavy & the springs too weak for it to fully open, which means a good old heave to open manually, all a bit agricultural.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,364 Posts
Seems silly just for the boot to click open, it means pretty delicate fingers will still get soiled fully opening it.
I suspect the lid is too heavy & the springs too weak for it to fully open, which means a good old heave to open manually, all a bit agricultural.
It's probably the struts for the lid that make it feel heavy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've considered this a failing on SLK/SLCs.
How convenient would it be if one click both unlocked the lid and raised it?
The cream? To have a button on the lid that would then both lower the lid and then activate an "electrically powered grab lock" to close it.
Instead, on our not inexpensive cars, we have to impart huge amounts of violence to operate the awkward boot lid!

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,464 Posts
I use boot only button, but then I keep "stuff" in the boot....!!!
Though it always worries Me about locking the key in the boot... :td:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts