Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have seen a lot of posts here and followed them all but it does not fix my issue. I have a 98 slk230 sport... I turn the engine and the lights turn on, but the starter dosnt engage... I was told it was one of five things...

One: battery, battery tested good and no bad cells

Two: battery power relay, replaced with brand new

Three: starter, replaced starter with new one... During the test to see if this was the final step the starter made two rotations to try and engage the engine but then stopped... Ever since then we are back at step one...

Four: the k40 board... No burnt fuses and board looks brand new

Five: crank position sensor, replaced and same issues.....

I am now at a loss as to what the problem could be... All electronics work, but no engine.. I could use some assistance with this

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
Try putting some cables on the battery to jump it, if it starts its the battery. One problem I had years ago was the K40, all looked good but investigating further with a magnifying glass I found several solder joints cracked.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
4,959 Posts
I'm guessing rotten battery cables. Emphasis on guess. A voltage drop measurement across the main cable would be helpful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am not sure if yours is exactly the same as my 2002, but there is a control module for the starter in the engine bay fuse box. If you remove the cover surrounding the fuses, you will see it. The light purple wire with a white stripe is what you want to look for. Have someone stick it with a test light when you turn the key to start the car. If your test light illuminates, then you know it is trying to run the starter. This should at the very least help you isolate the issue. I would also check each and every fuse...doesn't hurt when you are stumped.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Swoop
Yes I've had that problem you described. My slk170 2003 will randomly not start although all warning lights come on and all electrics work fine. However the fan will come on. Any ideas?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,379 Posts
Tsquiz,

Swoop did not have the issue, Organoid the poster did

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

First please update your location and vehicle (year?: 1996-2016, model?: 32, 200, 230, 250, 280, 300,320,350,55) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t.
Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. Info in your garage does not update your profile.

Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The OP has not come back in a week, so assume ok, or s/he has lost the will to continue living…

As asked above, have you voltage going to the starter motor?

I cannot remember when the K40 was modified, but if you have an old one, I understand that they might look ok, but there were sometimes dry solder joints in there.

Are you sure the CPS was replaced with new?

There is another item that can fail that you do not have in your list - the ignition/start switch.

Have all codes been cleared?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.