Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sticking my key in the ignition but it won't turn. It seems as if the wheel is locked it won't move to the left but will move slightly to the right. I don't know what to do. It was working fine last night.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya iv'e tried all of that Livefreeordie. I really don't know what to do other then bring it to mercedes.

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
That's to bad, I only other thing to try is messing with the key in the lock, put it in all the way then slowly turn it as you slide it out little by little.if th3 key or lock are worn it may have enough play to do the job.

·
Registered 1997 SLK 230
118 Posts
this happened to me the other day, when I had accidentally engaged the steering lock by turning the wheel as I got in the car

the key would not turn... I went into a bit of a panic, and eventually I gave the key fob a BIG twist, and it did the trick, key turned

I hesitate to recommend this, as I guess it could end in disaster!

I am now very careful not to engage the steering lock... I might not be so lucky twice!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Not having looked at the pointers to other posts, did you turn the wheel to the right and, while holding it there, try to turn the key?

My car seems to be far more prone to this malady than any other car I've ever owned. Panic moments are more common than usual ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I have tried all of that. It seems as if the steering wheel lock is on though because it won't turn to the left and only slightly to the right. I really don't know what to do.

·
Registered 2011 SLK300
427 Posts
Try to center the wheel in the lock mechanism so it is touching neither the left nor the right. Just move it a little bit so it is centered in the free-play area. Then give the key a good turn. It should work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.