Mercedes SLK World banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
One think you need to look out for is peeling / flaking of paint on the interior dash on all hard plastic surfaces

To take it to a auto trimmer to dismantle and re paint i have been quoted $1500 - $2500.

I have opted to spend several days of removing all the interior and striping off all the paint using Metholayted Spirits and cloth and rum rub rub and in it will all come of.

There is a paint manufactured in Australia called Taupflex Benz http://www.viponds.com.au/tautflexbenz.htm

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
More specific items

Big value items that need covering on the SLK
Kompressor function. (If it doesn't go like something off a shovel, esp at top end, probabkly Kompressor)
Aircon pump (Cannot just ignore; failed pump may fill system with swarf, and eventually fail and take bearing with it.)
PSE central locking pump/controller. (Water into teh boot will cost big-time; check internal central locking, as well as all keys, remote central locking of all offered keys; obviously check the locks are engaged and released at each stage. Note that partial opening is a feature, so may need for than one press for boot and passenger door. Locks include two doors, boot, filler flap and central armrest)
Roof, windows, boot motors, etc, all part of the roof cycle. And the parcel shelf is an interesting bit of synchronised ballet, and correcting the setup is challenging.
Most of the rest is common to all cars; gearboxes, engines, bodywork, wheel paintwork, etc.
And special lighting (Xenon) could be a bit expensive! (I'm checking my fogs at the moment... ;) )
Anon

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
TautFlex to repair interior

One think you need to look out for is peeling / flaking of paint on the interior dash on all hard plastic surfaces

To take it to a auto trimmer to dismantle and re paint i have been quoted $1500 - $2500.

I have opted to spend several days of removing all the interior and striping off all the paint using Metholayted Spirits and cloth and rum rub rub and in it will all come of.

There is a paint manufactured in Australia called Taupflex Benz http://www.viponds.com.au/tautflexbenz.htm
Search the threads; many people have repaired the interior finish of their SLK using TautFlex, and the results look impressive. I have my paint on order, and will do a before and after thread once it's done. (Does anyone do such a thread if they make a mess of it, or will all such threads be glowing recommendations? :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
72 Posts
My SLK 230 was a little rumbly when I got it, It's got a break light out and the muffler is loose. All stuff I can take care of. Everything else is functional. I replaced one .53 cent vacuum line and now it is running perfect. Getting ready for a tune up and oil change so I can start a maintenance schedule of my own.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kris

Hi thanx for the list it's really helpful,

I have some problem with my slk230 I wish if anyone could advice that will be really appreciated. It totally my fault coz I never bother to service my car and yesterday I top up some oil as it's was below the level.

This morning I start my car and some greay smoke came out of the hood and I found the belt slipped off. And the engin was very hot.

Have I blew my head gas kit ? Or it's coz I mix old and new oil or spark plug prob ??

Pls advice

·
Registered
45 Posts
One other thing you must check is the wheel bearings. Check there is no play. I bought a 2001 model and need to do the front wheel bearings, not a big job, but something to look out for

·
Registered
52 Posts
When I soke to my MB independent for tips on buying r170 2002 He suggested checking for rust on underside of doors where there are water-escape-holes and rust under the wings, especially the rear wings which are double skinned.
UK cost to cut out and repaint all 4 arches £1200, something to consider if not a DIYer
His view was that MB not good at wax injections on these cars
Dave

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,192 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've just 'inherited' a 1999 SLK230 from my ancient father-in-law. 40k miles with the supercharger inop, dash gauges all inop, top inop and God knows what else. Needless to say, if it wasn't free, I'd walk away. Only redeeming value is a fully new leather interior set of seats. Otherwise, I'd not waste my time. Hopefully, all issues are easy fixes such as the famed R40 relay for the supercharger and maybe some micro switches for the top as it only goes back about 1/3 of the way then stops. The gauge cluster might just be something more major I fear. Pick it up from him Tuesday and will (hopefully) drive it home about 30 miles. Wish me well. This list will be most useful, after the fact unfortunately.

·
94,192 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

We want to welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Registered
808 Posts
[Check if air circulation flap operates as you turn on or off the fan. The actuator works with vacuum and usually the elemet is perforated after 8-9 years, making some high pitch noise or causing windows to fog in winter being unable to operate]

Anyone knows how to repair this or the cost approx. at a service center.

·
Registered
22 Posts
A big welcome from Cornwall. Just over a year ago I took a punt on a "FleeBay special" SLK230 1999, with a very poor write up, no history, selling for a friend, everything that says, "Run for the hills", thank god I bid, got it for less than a bag of sand, FULL MB History! Drove like new, seller gave us an amazing night in his home as we drove 400 miles, I've never done anything so daft and got such an amazing car for so little. Did all the minor jobs, gave her a thorough going over and pound for pound what a gem!!

I hope you have the same luck.

Kind wishes,

Husky

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great list! I wished I had it when I was looking at vehicles. Fortunately mine is very road worthy so I lucked out. My mechanic has suggested we repack the bearings but he says no rush (I've only had the vehicle one week). I'll probably do it in the fall. Thanks again for the list - I will keep it in a safe place!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi i have a1999 slk 230 and i have a peoblem with both windows closing too much not sitting under the rubber seal and flush as tgey should do. Can anyone recomend a fix for this? Ive opened the doors up by taking the doir cards off and the square mount doesnt have an adjustable rubber bumper stop. Would aporeciate any advice!

·
94,192 Posts
Hi i have a1999 slk 230 and i have a peoblem with both windows closing too much not sitting under the rubber seal and flush as tgey should do. Can anyone recomend a fix for this? Ive opened the doors up by taking the doir cards off and the square mount doesnt have an adjustable rubber bumper stop. Would aporeciate any advice!
this thread is 10 years old fyi

let us know if you want us to move your post to a new thread for maximum viewing

also please post an intro

Join the gang! Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section. Click this: http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/

41 - 57 of 57 Posts