Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front end on my 2001 SLK 230 seems way too low. The tires are almost hitting the inside of the wheel wells. I replaced the struts last fall with Bilsteins and that helped a little but now it seems way to low and looks really messed up. I am thinking of replacing the coil springs with BOGE.
Does that seem like the right thing to do to correct this? The car has standard suspension and hasn't been lowered. Can I replace those myself?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Front End Pics

I took a few pictures of the front end but I dont know how to get them on here. I have a picture of the front straight on to show the height, a side picture of how the tire sits insode the wheel well, and a picture I took by putting the camera under the car and shooting up to show the spring. I can email them to you or post them here if I figure it out.
Thanks

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,246 Posts
go advanced and then manage attachments and upload

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stock wheels and regular tire. I don't think there has been anything changed from the original suspension package.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,339 Posts
Okay stock wheels and tires, when I bought my 2001 someone had rotated the tires and the rear wheels and tires were one the front and there was a rub in a sharp turn until I got the wheels and tires in the correct places. I was just checking if this could havde happen to you.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,339 Posts
The front rims are 7.5 inches and the rear tims are 8.5 inches if the are 16 inch rims. They are marked on the back of a spoke on each rim. The offset is also different for the front and the rears.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
How about a side profile shot of the entire vehicle? Hard to judge from the photos so far.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm sure the front end is too low. I have compared it to other SLKs and the clearance between the tires ans the wheel wells is much less on my car. Those pictures don't really give a good description. I don't know how to upload any pictures here.

Lets just assume that the front end is too low. Could that be from worn springs, or could it be something else. I did replace the struts last year which helped for a while.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is this the right rim for the front of a 2001 SLK 230?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/829/p1020920w.jpg/

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I lloked around and found a pdf with all the parts for an SLK (pretty nice). It shows this rim number (A 170 401 02 02)to be from a 98-99, and that an 01 should have 208 401 09 02. Does anyone know if there is a difference in size between those two rims?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts